Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

RRP gasket

Options
Is there a you tube video showing the installation procedure?

Comments

• JMCXL
    JMCXL Posts: 1,524
    Options
    His instruction are very detailed. I have ordered from him 3 times. Will order again if needed.
    Northern New Jersey
     XL - Woo2, AR      L (2) - Woo, PS Woo     MM (2) - Woo       MINI

Check out https://www.grillingwithpapaj.com for some fun and more Grilling with Papa (incase you haven't gotten enough of me)

Also, check out my YouTube Page
    https://www.youtube.com/c/grillingwithpapaj

Follow me on Facebook 
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingPapaJ/

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,056
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Here’s a good basic YouTube video on gasket replacement.  Be sure to clean off the old gasket with isopropyl and allow to dry. 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VEBnS1m_-mg

With the Rutland, only put the gasket on the base side. Bead of copper permatex and scrunch the Rutland as you go. 

Dome alignment once the glue has dried:  follow the instructions in the video and before cranking down on the bolts, put force between the base and dome with a set of ratchet/buckle straps strung under and over. 
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    thetrim said:
    He gives some pretty detailed instructions that are easy to follow.  Also, rumor has it that if you don't pay all he'll do is give you  little bit of public ridicule on this forum.  Change your name, move to Canada, and he'll never find you.
    Not so; he was recently trying to track down some nogoodnik in my neck of the woods (Ottawa, Ontario, Canada). Beware; the long reach of RRP knows no boundaries.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    RRP said:
    thetrim said:
    He gives some pretty detailed instructions that are easy to follow.  Also, rumor has it that if you don't pay all he'll do is give you  little bit of public ridicule on this forum.  Change your name, move to Canada, and he'll never find you.
    Not so; he was recently trying to track down some nogoodnik in my neck of the woods (Ottawa, Ontario, Canada). Beware; the long reach of RRP knows no boundaries.
    Laugh at me all you want, but how would you like it if some sob stiffed you for $33 when you took him for his word and trusted him? Granted it's not a lost fortune but it still p*sses me off!
    Is that $33 USD or Canuckian?  

And why do you hate Canada?
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    You can buy a lot of poutine with $33 whether it’s Canadian or American.  
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    RRP said:
    thetrim said:
    Laugh at me all you want, but how would you like it if some sob stiffed you for $33 when you took him for his word and trusted him? Granted it's not a lost fortune but it still p*sses me off!
    We’re just funnin’ ya, Ron! I can fully appreciate how that would be a pain!
  • SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    @RRP I'm pretty sure the comments are all in fun.
    I have been a passenger in cars where the driver was pulled over for speeding, running a stop sign, etc., where the driver knew he was guilty, the cop acted professionally, but the driver received a ticket. After driving off, what does the driver do? Usually badmouth the cop. If that is the way most people act when they know they are wrong, I can't imagine many people having a problem with you getting ticked when you are wronged. Plus, I would imagine most on here appreciate the service you provide to fellow eggers. Even if you did not sell the gaskets at all, much less at cost, just the directions for installation is a big help.
    After all that, let me just say this, if my first sentence is incorrect, don't let the bastards get you down.

• GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,365
    Options
    I’m a Canadian, ordered from Ron and paid him immediately. I really appreciate his help, don’t group the rest of the Canadian Eggers with this loser!
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options

Ron is a stand up guy, I have bought 2 gaskets from him and everything was just what I expected. He is also a Great Chef who I follow on here frequently.

Thanks Ron,

Chuck

Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    Options
    @RRP offers a pretty nice service for us fellow eggheads. I’ve ordered from him before. Quite the stand up guy in my book, trusting strangers the way he does. Pretty sad that there’s unworthy people that can’t keep their end of the deal. That’s how prices go up! 
    NW IOWA
  • thetrim
    Options
    Sad to say, but I’m surprised it doesn’t happen more often.  
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Options
    Quick fix to the issue... Ron, don't ship until you have the $$$$.

I can't imagine anyone having issues with that practice unless they were gonna stiff you!!

It's great that you're so trusting that you'll get paid but it's not worth the frustration when you don't!!!
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Quick fix to the issue... Ron, don't ship until you have the $$$$.

This payment structure sounds ridiculous @The_Stache It will never take off  ;)

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Maybe 1/2 $$ up front 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Hook_emHornsfan_74
    Options
    I have a dumb question.  I have a feeling I am about to have to get with @RRP to get a replacement for my gasket.  My question is, is it possible to replace it and not have to take the lid off.  I am not confident in my skills to put the lid back on.  
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • RLS
    RLS Posts: 41
    Options
    I replaced mine without lid removal. Read Ron's instructions and follow them, your job will turn out first class.
    Rick in Tampa
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    I have a dumb question.  I have a feeling I am about to have to get with @RRP to get a replacement for my gasket.  My question is, is it possible to replace it and not have to take the lid off.  I am not confident in my skills to put the lid back on.  
    Yes. You just need to remove the present gasket on the dome meaning you'll be working upside down, but yes it can be done.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • johnnyringo
    Options
    I installed the RRP gasket and replaced the band assy. with the new model.
    Still do not have a tight seal. Any thoughts or ideas?
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    This isn’t standard, but some folks (including myself) installed the Rutland on the dome instead of the base. The base can crack, but the dome rarely does. 

That way, if the base needs to be replaced, you still have the Rutland gasket. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    I installed the RRP gasket and replaced the band assy. with the new model.
    Still do not have a tight seal. Any thoughts or ideas?
    I have already replied to your email this morning and am awaiting your reply so I can help you figure out the best solution. My thought right now is you will need to loosen the bands so that your dome and base just need to be move closer together.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • johnnyringo
    Options
    I loosened all the bolts on the upper band and put a 40# weight on the dome.  Then went around the outer edge of the dome and pressed down, and then tighten all bolts. Seem to help a bit yet still loose gap to me, although I'm not sure how tight it should be.  The feeler gauge I'm using is 7 thousands thick. 
    Sorry for the trouble, maybe older men shouldn't try this.
    Thanks,
  • thetrim
    Options
    The Rutland gasket is age appropriate 17-117 years.  Plus, you older guys understand the value of a handshake agreement and won't leave Ron hangin'.
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    I loosened all the bolts on the upper band and put a 40# weight on the dome.  Then went around the outer edge of the dome and pressed down, and then tighten all bolts. Seem to help a bit yet still loose gap to me, although I'm not sure how tight it should be.  The feeler gauge I'm using is 7 thousands thick. 
    Sorry for the trouble, maybe older men shouldn't try this.
    Thanks,
    i would not fuss over .007 inches for a gap. spill some bbq sauce on it during the break in period =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Maybe 1/2 $$ up front 
    PayPal, Zelle or other electronic transfer makes prepayment a no brainer.  I can understand why waiting on a check by snail mail before shipping adds too much time for some - when you need a gasket, you need a gasket.
  • johnnyringo
    Options
    Fired up the egg this AM for a test run.  Goal has been to get the temp to hold down around 250 or less.  Lit fire at about 9AM and let it run with vents opened until temp hit 350+ then closed both vents down to about 1/4".  Temp hovered around 300 for about an hour then I closed the vents down more.  Now at 12:30 still at 300.  Here's what they vents are now.

Comments/suggestions welcomed

• thetrim
    Options
    Fired up the egg this AM for a test run.  Goal has been to get the temp to hold down around 250 or less.  Lit fire at about 9AM and let it run with vents opened until temp hit 350+ then closed both vents down to about 1/4".  Temp hovered around 300 for about an hour then I closed the vents down more.  Now at 12:30 still at 300.  Here's what they vents are now.

Comments/suggestions welcomed

Looks like you could live on my street!

If your firing it up at those temps, don't you have sort of meat you could put on there????
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    caliking said:
    This isn’t standard, but some folks (including myself) installed the Rutland on the dome instead of the base. The base can crack, but the dome rarely does. 

That way, if the base needs to be replaced, you still have the Rutland gasket. 
    My base cracked probably two weeks after the Rutland install  :|
    South of Columbus, Ohio.