Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT**The Unofficially Official Pizza Thread**OT

Options

Comments

• alaskanassasin
    Options
    I have been baking my pies in the oven lately.  Mostly sausage pepperoni and onions. 
     Every pizza I have ever made had the cheese under the toppings however one I baked last weekend I decided to make "ohio style" and I put the cheese on the toppings.
     The end result was really good!  Usually the pepperoni is crisp or a bit burned around the edges and the onions are dried out however with the cheese on top the onions were moist and more flavorful, the cheese had a nice brown crisp.
      Anyone else make theirs this way?
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I have been baking my pies in the oven lately.  Mostly sausage pepperoni and onions. 
     Every pizza I have ever made had the cheese under the toppings however one I baked last weekend I decided to make "ohio style" and I put the cheese on the toppings.
     The end result was really good!  Usually the pepperoni is crisp or a bit burned around the edges and the onions are dried out however with the cheese on top the onions were moist and more flavorful, the cheese had a nice brown crisp.
    I always put my pepperoni under my cheese. All other toppings go on top. That said, I usually sprinkle some mozzarella accross the top and also grate some Parmesan too. You might say that I do both. Just how I roll. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • zman51
    zman51 Posts: 133
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    Here is my very first pie using the Ardore. BBQ chicken on a 72 hr dough @ColtsFan. Which ardore did you get?
    Central Florida
  • chard
    chard Posts: 67
    Options
    Tried a few in the Roccbox last night - first time using it in colder MN temps (about 20 degrees with a slight breeze that seemed to always find the oven's opening).  Oven didn't get as hot in the cold and the pies took longer than the usual 90-100 secs, but the results were still very good.

Eggin' with a Large and Small
    Twin Cities, MN
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,346
    Options
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Wanasmoke
    Options
     Here are a few unusual pizzas from the Fontana wood fired oven.  The saputo floor was not available when I bought mine earlier this year... but I will prob upgrade down the road.  Pesto with mozz and tomatoes, summer bbq with pulled pork, and the crowd favorite.... cheeseburger!

LBGE in Elm Grove, WI
  • Budgeezer
    Options
    Left over smoked turkey pizza.  Buffalo and a BBQ pizzas. 
    Edina, MN

• dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    I only cook for two so 14
    minutes at 450 works for me.
    Pulled Pork with GP and Blues Hog Original.
  • BUFFALOMOOSE
    Options
    @smokingal care to share your 72 hour no kneed dough recipe?
    South Buffalo, New York
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,533
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    Upgraded to the Saputo. Floor temp was only 760* and I jumped the gun and didn't let it preheat long enough. Used 270gr dough balls I think 250gr would be better. The crust was more NY style, but overall good first run. 
    Thanks, I went with Saputo too. Have you tried cooking at higher temp? Just wondering how balanced top and bottom will be at high temp with Saputo.
    canuckland
  • Leopoldstoch
    Options

Just a few pies I did tonight. 

Jalapeno popper style pizza and a cheese burger style pizza. Used some killer hogs hot and spicy garlic pickles to top the cheese burger pizza.

Brandon - Ohio

• ColtsFan
    edited November 2018
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    Upgraded to the Saputo. Floor temp was only 760* and I jumped the gun and didn't let it preheat long enough. Used 270gr dough balls I think 250gr would be better. The crust was more NY style, but overall good first run. 
    Thanks, I went with Saputo too. Have you tried cooking at higher temp? Just wondering how balanced top and bottom will be at high temp with Saputo.
    The holiday has kept me away from home and unable to experiment more. From reading on PizzaMaking forum, the Saputo floor takes longer to preheat, but recovers damn near instantly. Making more dough tonight for Friday night. 

The oven responds pretty quickly when adjusting the gas valve/flame

• ColtsFan
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Here is today's dough. A little wetter this time. First dough was 60%. I bumped the salt up too in this attempt. See if I can tell a difference

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options

Jalapeno popper style pizza and a cheese burger style pizza. Used some killer hogs hot and spicy garlic pickles to top the cheese burger pizza.
    Looks great. Is that the Roccbox pizza peel?
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,533
    Options
    @Photo Egg  looks like it...

canuckland
  • Leopoldstoch
    Options
    Photo Egg said:

Looks great. Is that the Roccbox pizza peel?

It is the peel that comes with the roccbox. They did just recently release a new longer handled peel that looks far easier to turn and work with the pies that I may purchase.

Brandon - Ohio

• smokingal
    smokingal Posts: 1,025
    Options
    @smokingal care to share your 72 hour no kneed dough recipe?
    I'm not sure why I didn't see this callout earlier.  My bad.  It's a recipe from King Arthur's website.  https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/artisan-no-knead-pizza-crust-recipe
    It's "Smokin Gal", not "Smoking Al".
    Egging in the Atlanta GA region
    Large BGE, CGS setup, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware SS Cap,
    Arteflame grill grate

http://barbecueaddict.com
  • smokingal
    smokingal Posts: 1,025
    Options
    I always put my pepperoni under my cheese. All other toppings go on top. That said, I usually sprinkle some mozzarella accross the top and also grate some Parmesan too. You might say that I do both. Just how I roll. 
    I put down a layer of cheese, then toppings, then a bit more cheese.
    It's "Smokin Gal", not "Smoking Al".
    Egging in the Atlanta GA region
    Large BGE, CGS setup, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware SS Cap,
    Arteflame grill grate

http://barbecueaddict.com
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I always buy natural casing pepperoni sticks and cut it myself (thicker than the pre-sliced). Then, I put it on last so it cups as it cooks. Wonderful charred edges with oil collected in the cups. Margherita brand or Boar's Head are my favorites. Try it sometime.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• NorthPilot06
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    ColtsFan said:
    The holiday has kept me away from home and unable to experiment more. From reading on PizzaMaking forum, the Saputo floor takes longer to preheat, but recovers damn near instantly. Making more dough tonight for Friday night. 

The oven responds pretty quickly when adjusting the gas valve/flame
    That's correct, the saputo floor tiles are less conductive so they transfer less thermal energy to the pizzas.  Not coincidentally, that's why they also work well at high temperatures (~950) - at 950-1000 degrees, my fire brick floor sets pizza dough on fire.

Fun to see once, but irritating after that :)
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • BUFFALOMOOSE
    Options
    Thanks @smokingal
    South Buffalo, New York
  • steel_egg
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    Here is today's dough. A little wetter this time. First dough was 60%. I bumped the salt up too in this attempt. See if I can tell a difference

What is this app?  Need to get better at my dough but not sure how to change. Would like a more airy dough with some nice crunch on the crust if that makes sense. Sometimes I nail and others are so-so. 
  • ColtsFan
    Options
    steel_egg said:
    ColtsFan said:

What is this app?  Need to get better at my dough but not sure how to change. Would like a more airy dough with some nice crunch on the crust if that makes sense. Sometimes I nail and others are so-so. 
    Lehmann's Dough calculator on PizzaMaking.com 

https://www.pizzamaking.com/dough-calculator.html

• ColtsFan
    Options

Rocc’ing the Roccbox tonight. Had some dough from the weekend that needed to be used up. 50/50 Caputo blue bag and red bag flour. Nice chew.
    Beautiful!

• Leopoldstoch
    Options
  • Tettletime
    Options
    It’s been a minute since I cooked some pizza...or posted anything. 550 for about 5 minutes. Wish I could get more char on the crust, but the egg wouldn’t get any hotter.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    edited November 2018
    Options
    It’s been a minute since I cooked some pizza...or posted anything. 550 for about 5 minutes. Wish I could get more char on the crust, but the egg wouldn’t get any hotter.
    Can you post a photo of your set up in the Egg?  Getting your pie higher in the dome will help cook the top better. 
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas