Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Instead of turkey......

For Thanksgiving we decided not to do the traditional meal. I had picked up a 8lb, 3 bone ribeye. Let it dry age for 9 days. Did not seperate the bones. Rubbed it down with Montreal and let it sit for a while.

Set the smobot for 250F on the XL, set my probes and let it roll....until Internal Temp was 109, about 3 hours, Pulled off the egg and let rest.

I had my large egg running at about 650F, so put the roast on the large for 2 or 3 minutes a side, until crispy.

The mini Max was busy cooking my sweet onions, butter, teriyaki, and mushrooms. Sliced the roast and placed it on my wifes favorite china for the meal. Probably one of the best rib roast that I have ever cooked.

Thanks for looking!

bubbajack
I drink cheap beer so I can afford good bourbon.

Salisbury, NC...... XL,Lx3,Mx2,S, MM, Mini BGE, FireDisc x2. Blackstone 22", Offset smoker, weber kettle 22"

Comments

• LetsEat
    LetsEat Posts: 456
    The roast is a keeper...definitely deserves better china!
    IL 
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Drooler!
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Solid heal clicking salute-well played
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    I bet that was delicious.  
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Looks great coach! 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    GORGEOUS hunk o' beef -- great job!
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Lord-a-mercy 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Gman2
    Gman2 Posts: 421
    Very nice job, looks fantastic.
    LBGE, Mechanicsville, Va., LBGE, Duck, NC, XLBGE Wake, Va.
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Ill take prime rib over turkey any day nicely done
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • I'm gonna do this Sunday w an 8 pound boneless rib roast I picked up today.  I hope mine turns out as good looking as yours!  Did you go to App. My oldest son graduated from there in '06.   I think I will reverse sear like you did too. Only have the one large Egg, so I guess I will pull and open it up to 600ish then put back on
  • bubbajack
    bubbajack Posts: 1,088
    Cooked a nice choice for Christmas as well, but on the large. Basically the same way. I would suggest placing your probes through the roast in the middle to get a pull temperature. I leave the bones on the roast for they are my favorite part. Without the bones it will cook faster, so be carefull.

I did go to App. Graduated in 1986 with a Masters in woodworking and pottery. Thanks for looking!

Salisbury, NC...... XL,Lx3,Mx2,S, MM, Mini BGE, FireDisc x2. Blackstone 22", Offset smoker, weber kettle 22"

• piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    bubbajack said:
    For Thanksgiving we decided not to do the traditional meal. I had picked up a 8lb, 3 bone ribeye. Let it dry age for 9 days. Did not seperate the bones. Rubbed it down with Montreal and let it sit for a while.

Set the smobot for 250F on the XL, set my probes and let it roll....until Internal Temp was 109, about 3 hours, Pulled off the egg and let rest.

I had my large egg running at about 650F, so put the roast on the large for 2 or 3 minutes a side, until crispy.

The mini Max was busy cooking my sweet onions, butter, teriyaki, and mushrooms. Sliced the roast and placed it on my wifes favorite china for the meal. Probably one of the best rib roast that I have ever cooked.

Thanks for looking!

bubbajack
    Looks great @bubbajack! I hope y'all had a good Christmas and have a Happy New Year. See you @Butt Blast in April. 
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • Bubbajack, I "graduated" from NC State in 1978  w some sort of degree in wild life. I don't remember the details
  • bubbajack
    bubbajack Posts: 1,088
    Bubbajack, I "graduated" from NC State in 1978  w some sort of degree in wild life. I don't remember the details
    After college, I spent the next 28 years or so chasing largemouth bass all over the east coast fishing tournaments. Was a lot of fun and learned a lot about wildlife.

Since retiring, I think I am going to fish a lot more, just have not got to it yet.

• Nice.  I’m a mason. Been in business since ‘89. Luke the sound of your profession.  I’m a big bass fisherman too but just for fun.  Relocated a yr ago 100 miles away from my old fishing spots, so learning some new lakes up here NW of Greensboro