Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Time Turbo Butt Question

Options
I put on two butts weighing around 5-6lbs each.  Set the Smobot at  350deg and it took right at 3hrs to get the IT to 160.  I foiled them at 160 and they are both now at 186 and 193 and it has been slightly less than an hour since I foiled them.  I was going to pull at 195 and FTC them for an hour.  My question is how long should it take to  hit 195-200 after wrapping them in foil?  
The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.

Comments

• 510BG
    510BG Posts: 189
    Options
    I cooked two picnic shoulders both cooked turbo. First cook I pulled the pork around 200. Second cook I pulled at 198 and FTC for 11 hours. 
  • RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035
    Options
    After just 4hrs I have one that just hit 200 degrees and the other is at 192.  Seems super fast by about an hour.  I am gonna give it the feel test.
    The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,656
    Options
    Small butts and your cooking at 350. Your timing sounds about right to me.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• RajunCajun
    Options
    shtgunal3 said:
    Small butts and your cooking at 350. Your timing sounds about right to me.  

Thanks my fellow egghead!

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Feel test for sure but if you’ve been running @350 the entire time your time period sound about normal 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    For me, unwrapped turbo butts usually take 40-50 minutes per pound.  I don't know about the impact of wrapping in foil.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• RajunCajun
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    For me, unwrapped turbo butts usually take 40-50 minutes per pound.  I don't know about the impact of wrapping in foil.

What temp and do you do them indirect?  Do you find them to stall for as long as a brisket stalls?

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    350 indirect.  They don't stall nearly as long as brisket because 1) they are typically only 8-9 pounds and 2) I don't cook brisket at 350.  

I can't honestly say how long the stall lasts on a turbo butt.  I've never paid that much attention to it.  About an hour or so I guess.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    This is how I do them:TURBO BUTTS.

·         Hot'n fast, 350 for 5 (+ or -) hours to internal to 200. Falls apart and oh so good! Have fun!

Be sure you only get a 7lb butt or so for the time (or a couple ((same amt of time)) or more for more protein )

.         Note:  The butt box is not required unless holding for dinner. 

I use mustard & Bad Byron's Butt Rub (both not required). I put on the rub, then mustard, 

then rub once more. Ps: I do not foil on the Egg. Also good with the coffee rub. 

FTC afterwards.   

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• RajunCajun
    Options
    Mickey said:

·         Hot'n fast, 350 for 5 (+ or -) hours to internal to 200. Falls apart and oh so good! Have fun!

Be sure you only get a 7lb butt or so for the time (or a couple ((same amt of time)) or more for more protein )

I use mustard & Bad Byron's Butt Rub (both not required). I put on the rub, then mustard, 

then rub once more. Ps: I do not foil on the Egg. Also good with the coffee rub. 

FTC afterwards.   

Thanks for the info.  So you don't foil them at 160?  These two were around 5-6lbs each.  They are FTCing in the cooler now.

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Mickey said:

FTC afterwards.   

Thanks for the info.  So you don't foil them at 160?  These two were around 5-6lbs each.  They are FTCing in the cooler now.

No.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• bikesAndBBQ
    Options
    The higher the temperature, the less the stall will be. Cooking at 350, the stall will be minimal or non-existent.  
    Pittsburgh, PA. LBGE
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    Turbo = No foil. IMHO. 
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • RajunCajun
    Options
    Thanks for the input.  It worked out fantastic.  Next time I will try not foiling the butts.  I like butts, now the search for a good sauce to compliment the pork.
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,656
    Options
    If you can get it, Blues Hog Tennessee Red is one of my favorites for pulled pork.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    dmchicago said:
    Turbo = No foil. IMHO. 
    Back several years ago turbo actually meant smoking at 250-275 until the butt hit 160 then wrapping in foil and cranking temp to 350 for a couple hrs.  Then a shift to no foil hit prolly around 2010 and now we have no foil turbo.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • RajunCajun
    Options
    shtgunal3 said:
    If you can get it, Blues Hog Tennessee Red is one of my favorites for pulled pork.

Ordered!  Thanks for the suggestion.

• Shawnodell83
    Options
    How do the results vary from typical low and slow 225 degree pork butts compared to a quick 350 turbo cook? 
    Edwardsville, IL (Near St. Louis, MO)
    Large Big Green Egg & Weber Genesis II 
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    How do the results vary from typical low and slow 225 degree pork butts compared to a quick 350 turbo cook? 
    On turbo, I find the bark to be darker and dryer, but the inside to have a lot more moisture. 
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• 510BG
    510BG Posts: 189
    Options
    My last turbo butt was at  400 degrees. I'd say max 375