Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Flameboss Server Down

Options
2»

Comments

• H12mike
    H12mike Posts: 134
    Options
    Yes, this was the 3rd time I had the failure.  I just ordered  a ThermaWorks Blue as a replacement.  I am personally done with relying on someone's server to control the quality of what happens at my house.

X-Large BGE, DigiQ, ThermaQ (Blue), CyberQ, Joetissirie, UltraQ, (ex.FlameBoss 200)

Highland Village, TX

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    Did I mention how much I like my Stokers?
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    IMO, you don't need a controller for a turkey. Seems to me if you can't get an egg to 350-450° and keep it there for 3-4 hours without a crutch, you should just cook burgers on a gasser!! 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Why should you have to? Maybe he had something else planned during the cook time. 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    caliking said:
    IMO, you don't need a controller for a turkey. Seems to me if you can't get an egg to 350-450° and keep it there for 3-4 hours without a crutch, you should just cook burgers on a gasser!! 
    Or eat a low sodium diet.

Doesn’t make one less salty though, apparently :smiley:
    =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    H12mike said:
    Can the FB300 be used without going through their server?
    Yes, you put it in AP mode and it connects straight to you phone as long as you are in range.  The firmware update summer 2017 enabled this.

Or if worse comes to worse, just control it from the control head.
  • 510BG
    510BG Posts: 189
    edited November 2018
    Options
    How about I spent $300 + for a thermometer and I expect it to work when I want to use it.... I'm almost done with FB... starting  to think it was a bad investment... 
    If anyone plans on selling an FB please send me a message. 
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    Ag83 said:
    Ag83 said:
    I have a 300 and my app does not connect. I get a timeout error.
    You need to go on the screen of the unit and switch the wifi to "direct" or whatever it is that ISN'T the name of the network.

Your basically turning the FB into its own router and then you select the FB network name from the wifi list on your phone.
    So I did that (access point) but it wants me to log in. But when I try that, I get a "no connection" error. Maybe I don't know what I'm doing but I think this is a feature added after I bought the 300. Either way, not a good look for FB when people are unable to access their cook on the #1 cooking holiday of the year.

That feature did come AFTER the 300 debuted, but the hardware was already there......the firmware update that went into place when the app launched last year, enabled the "AP" mode.

Did this get pushed to 200 series users?  I don't see it on mine and I noticed that my firmware is 2.05.001.  I plugged it this morning to let it update now that the crush is over and no update has occurred.  Auto firmware update is on. The controller is responding to the app, so it is online.  
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Ragtop99 said:
    Ag83 said:
    Ag83 said:
    You need to go on the screen of the unit and switch the wifi to "direct" or whatever it is that ISN'T the name of the network.

Your basically turning the FB into its own router and then you select the FB network name from the wifi list on your phone.
    So I did that (access point) but it wants me to log in. But when I try that, I get a "no connection" error. Maybe I don't know what I'm doing but I think this is a feature added after I bought the 300. Either way, not a good look for FB when people are unable to access their cook on the #1 cooking holiday of the year.

That feature did come AFTER the 300 debuted, but the hardware was already there......the firmware update that went into place when the app launched last year, enabled the "AP" mode.

Did this get pushed to 200 series users?  I don't see it on mine and I noticed that my firmware is 2.05.001.  I plugged it this morning to let it update now that the crush is over and no update has occurred.  Auto firmware update is on. The controller is responding to the app, so it is online.  
     No, the 200 does not have the HARDWARE to do this.  The 300's board is different and the ability to do that AP mode was part of that upgraded board.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    This might carry more weight if you actually used an egg. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Ragtop99 said:
    Ag83 said:
    Ag83 said:

No, the 200 does not have the HARDWARE to do this.  The 300's board is different and the ability to do that AP mode was part of that upgraded board.
    The 200 v2 supposedly has an AP mode. Was able to set it on the head unit, but the app couldn’t connect to it, despite being on the FB’s SSID. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • jccbone62
    Options
    Well this explains the problems that I was seeing.  To complicate my issues with FB, it seemed like my dome thermo wasn't accurate either.  I eventually shut the FB off and kept a closer eye on my cook.  My turkey came out excellent anyway.  
    As far as the AP mode feature that some have spoke about, I didn't know it existed.  I saw the setting on my FB 300 menu but wasn't sure what it meant. I will give it a try when I'm not using the FB for cooking and just play with it to see what it will do or not do.
    Either way, I believe that FB will work this out.
    XL owner in Wichita, KS
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options

The next firmware update will enable you to use AP mode in two new ways to connect to your Flame Boss controllers (all in the list above and the upcoming model 500) to monitor and control your cook. You will be able to connect directly to the controller as if it were a WiFi access point (like a router) when no wireless network is available. You will also be able to connect to it through a wireless network even if that network is disconnected from the Internet or our servers.
    Awesome! Glad to see y’all responding to customer needs. An “enhanced” AP mode would definitely help when the FB can’t conmect to your servers. 

Do do you know when this update is scheduled for release?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • MichaelCollins
    Options
    caliking said:
    I do not have a date for the release but it is our highest priority engineering initiative and it is in the testing phase.
  • newby84
    newby84 Posts: 133
    Options
    caliking said:
    I do not have a date for the release but it is our highest priority engineering initiative and it is in the testing phase.
    How will we know when it has been released? Is it just going to be an update on the app? 
  • st¡ke
    st¡ke Posts: 276
    edited December 2018
    Options
    I can't believe we're at the point now where we can't cook because the turkey lost its wireless signal

Ever notice there are more threads about problems with temp controllers than there are with fires going out when there isn't a controller involved?

"Sorry hon, but I can't cook a roast because the wireless is down"

I was walking through an appliance store and one row had a number of refrigerators with LCD screens on them

Aside from the sheet stupidity of facebook on a fridge, I had to laugh when one fridge was displaying "can't collect to network"   

Bought a gas range and our chief criterion was no electronics. 

No timers, no screens, no touch controls. 

There are people that love gadgets, but I just don't get it.

haven't even had a thermometer on my egg for a half dozen years

let alone a thermometer with an IP address, password, and whose email address I have to update

-zippylip