Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Flameboss Server Down

Options
Hey,

Only the third time maybe using this thing, and of course we get it for the 'cruise control' features so we can relax....but their server is down today which keeps kicking my cell and laptop off the server....
Tiocfaidh!
Support 26+6=1 United Ireland

Comments

• Lo_Gear
    Lo_Gear Posts: 108
    Options
    Yup, luckily it works without the server, we just gotta do a little more walking to check it.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    It will direct connect with the app.  It doesn't need their server.
  • Ag83
    Ag83 Posts: 34
    Options
    I have a 300 and my app does not connect. I get a timeout error.
  • wolfetone
    Options
    Yeh I tried the app and it shows the presence of the FB, but wont show whats going on with the cook
    The online is back on now, but problematic on the phone keeps shutting on/off
    Tiocfaidh!
    Support 26+6=1 United Ireland
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    Ag83 said:
    You need to go on the screen of the unit and switch the wifi to "direct" or whatever it is that ISN'T the name of the network.

Your basically turning the FB into its own router and then you select the FB network name from the wifi list on your phone.
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    ^^^ I may have to try this, but I hate messing with a cook that is running fine.  App times out when trying to Log-in.  Web updates are sporadic. 

This happens each Thanksgiving and is kinda frustrating since I don't use my FB very often.  The app should be able to log-in w/o connectivity.  
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Ag83
    Options
    Ag83 said:
    You need to go on the screen of the unit and switch the wifi to "direct" or whatever it is that ISN'T the name of the network.

Your basically turning the FB into its own router and then you select the FB network name from the wifi list on your phone.
    So I did that (access point) but it wants me to log in. But when I try that, I get a "no connection" error. Maybe I don't know what I'm doing but I think this is a feature added after I bought the 300. Either way, not a good look for FB when people are unable to access their cook on the #1 cooking holiday of the year.

On the plus side - my bird came out really well and got rave reviews! :)
  • stlcharcoal
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Ag83 said:
    Ag83 said:

So I did that (access point) but it wants me to log in. But when I try that, I get a "no connection" error. Maybe I don't know what I'm doing but I think this is a feature added after I bought the 300. Either way, not a good look for FB when people are unable to access their cook on the #1 cooking holiday of the year.

That feature did come AFTER the 300 debuted, but the hardware was already there......the firmware update that went into place when the app launched last year, enabled the "AP" mode.

Remember when everybody bought cable pay-per-view a few years ago for that Mayweather fight?  So many people that it crashed the system.  They delayed the fight by an hour, but there were still a high percentage of people that missed it.  Yeah, it sucks, but DirecTV, internet providers, and every other service providers never promise 100% access.
  • Ag83
    Options
    Ag83 said:
    Ag83 said:

That feature did come AFTER the 300 debuted, but the hardware was already there......the firmware update that went into place when the app launched last year, enabled the "AP" mode.

Remember when everybody bought cable pay-per-view a few years ago for that Mayweather fight?  So many people that it crashed the system.  They delayed the fight by an hour, but there were still a high percentage of people that missed it.  Yeah, it sucks, but DirecTV, internet providers, and every other service providers never promise 100% access.
    Not sure I agree with that being a good analogy. Bottom line is their product, if one wants to monitor/control remotely, requires their server to be functional. It was clearly overloaded today. I have no idea why the AP didn't/doesn't work for me.
  • BGEChicago
    Options
    How about I spent $300 + for a thermometer and I expect it to work when I want to use it.... I'm almost done with FB... starting  to think it was a bad investment... 
    Chicago, IL BGE XL BGE Mini Webber Charcoal / Elmhurst, IL
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    How about I spent $300 + for a thermometer and I expect it to work when I want to use it.... I'm almost done with FB... starting  to think it was a bad investment... 
    That would send me over the edge. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    I swear this happens every year at Thanksgiving.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • H12mike
    H12mike Posts: 134
    Options
    Same problem here.  Received the timeout error halfway through the cook.  I switched over to my DigiQ and completed the cook.  I was prepared to go to  "old school" if needed.

Question:  Would smobot experience the same issues?

X-Large BGE, DigiQ, ThermaQ (Blue), CyberQ, Joetissirie, UltraQ, (ex.FlameBoss 200)

Highland Village, TX

• GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    Two words. Smo Bot.  ;)
  • H12mike
    Options
    GrillSgt said:
    Two words. Smo Bot.  ;)
    I am sure there is a meaning for this answer, but I am only on my first cup of coffee and so my thought process is slow this morning.

X-Large BGE, DigiQ, ThermaQ (Blue), CyberQ, Joetissirie, UltraQ, (ex.FlameBoss 200)

Highland Village, TX

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    H12mike said:
    GrillSgt said:
    Two words. Smo Bot.  ;)
    I am sure there is a meaning for this answer, but I am only on my first cup of coffee and so my thought process is slow this morning.
    He's recommending an alternative controller. http://www.smobot.com

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    Just stirring the pot. 
  • H12mike
    Options
    Does the Smobot require using its website for controlling the device like Flame Boss?

Highland Village, TX

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    From the web page:
    Do I need to use the cloud service to use my SMOBOT?

The cloud service “mySmobot” allows you to monitor your SMOBOT from outside of your home network.  You do not need to attach your SMOBOT to your home network or use the cloud service in order to control your grill or monitor your SMOBOT.  If you do not want to use the cloud or connect to your home network, you can put the SMOBOT in Access Point mode (default) and connect to it via a browser for remote monitoring.  Please note while in Access Point mode, power consumption is significantly higher.

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    Hotch said:
    From the web page:
    Do I need to use the cloud service to use my SMOBOT?

The cloud service “mySmobot” allows you to monitor your SMOBOT from outside of your home network.  You do not need to attach your SMOBOT to your home network or use the cloud service in order to control your grill or monitor your SMOBOT.  If you do not want to use the cloud or connect to your home network, you can put the SMOBOT in Access Point mode (default) and connect to it via a browser for remote monitoring.  Please note while in Access Point mode, power consumption is significantly higher.

FYI.....exact same setup for the FlameBoss.

You can have it connect "AP" direct to an Android or iOS device.  For remote monitoring and control under this mode, you are limited to how far it transmits (couple hundred feet).

If you want to be able to control/monitor from afar, then the unit has to connect to wifi, through the internet to their server, then come back to you via the app or myflameboss.com

The only ones that doesn't need a server somewhere is the Stoker and the old CyberQ.  You could access though directly, but you really had to know your network to get it set up.  I used to sell them with a disclaimer that people could NOT call me for tech support nor try to return them if they couldn't get them connected--it was that bad.  But if you were a network engineer, no problem!
  • Hotch
    Options
    Seems they have issues today even with the support page that has the FlameBoss manuals. Probably a technical glitch.

404 - Nothing found

We are sorry, but the page you're looking for cannot be found.

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    Comparing this to a pay per view event where guesstimating demand could provide a huge range of possible tickets sold is kinda apples and oranges.
    FlameBoss knows exactly how many units they've sold so they can easily make an assumption based on - "what if every unit we ever sold tries to connect to our server on Thanksgiving, how much capacity/bandwidth will we need to support that?"
    I have no idea if they are running their own box or just buying space from someone like AWS but you'd think they would do something to keep this form being an annual turkey day occurrence. I am curious tho just how many units they had connecting to their system - 1K, 5K, 10K...?
    At the very least they should probably have a special "Thanksgiving Day" warning/AP mode workaround page in their manual. :)
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• H12mike
    Options
    I guess the real wuestion is:  Can the FB300 be used without going through their server?  

Highland Village, TX

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    Did this affect the actual operation of the unit or just the online visibility? 
  • H12mike
    Options
    Can the FB300 be used without going through their server?

Highland Village, TX

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Couldn’t get it to work in AP mode either.  My phone connects to the FB network, but the app can’t find the controller to be able to monitor, make changes, etc. Same thing this morning. 

The cook went fine, as the FB still did it’s thing. I guess I’m not disappointed since I assumed it wouldn’t work to begin with. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • littlerascal56
    Options
    Just got the apology e-mail they sent out.  Am sure they will do what it takes to avoid this on next big holiday.  I experienced it on the 4th of July, so was expecting it yesterday.  That’s why I have the 300’s.  I run them from the displays if the server is down!
  • MichaelCollins
    Options
    I sincerely apologize for the repeated server failure that occurred yesterday, we realize how disappointing this technological failure was for you and your families on a holiday that revolves around cooking.

We take these issues very seriously, and had been planning and testing in advance of the holiday to make sure things went smoothly. Regardless of our efforts, our backup server failed. We will work tirelessly to ensure it doesn’t happen again.

As a small company we take pride in the products we produce, and yesterday was not our finest hour. We hear your grievances, and we will take all necessary steps and resources to make sure it doesn’t happen again. Our goal is to restore your faith in our brand. 

That said, Flame Boss controllers do not require connection to our servers to maintain your cook temperature. The controller will continue to maintain the set temperature in place when the connection is lost. For the Egg Genious and model 400 it a connection is currently required to see your temperatures and change the set temperature. We will release a firmware and app update in the near future that will enable direct connect to the controller from your phone.
  • Hotch
    Options
    Does this happen every year? Seems I remember a server fail for the past two or three years. I'm sure they will get it figured out.

BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    @MichaelCollins your response is much appreciated. As is FB’s consistently awesome customer service to resolve issues expediently for the customer. 

However, this is not the first time that there has been a server outage on a major bbq holiday. I initially did not have any reservations about buying a controller that depended on the manufacturer’s servers, but now I do, as this is the second (if not third) time this has happened. The fact that I assumed the FB wouldn’t connect yesterday is telling. Couldn’t get the AP mode to work either. And the online manuals couldn’t be accessed either. 

I’ve been a big fan of the FB until recently, so truly hope that these issues are figured out. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.