Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatchcock Turkey on a Lrg BGE

What’s the largest spatchcock turkey that will fit on the lrg bge grid?
3- BGE’s  2(Large) 1(Mini Max) 
1- Santa Maria Outfitters Pit 

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Above all, have fun.
    Now, about your question-the simple answer  "It depends."  And that is based on the the body style of the turkey before you decide to separate it from the back-bone.  Generally speaking you can get a 16-18 lb spatched bird to fit.  However, if you haven't yet purchased the turkey you can run a string around the thick part of the bird and subtract a good inch plus for missing back-bone to get a splayed width and go from there.  FWIW-
    BTW this is based on a raised direct cook.  If you go indirect then the diameter of your heat deflector is the controlling dimension. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • @lousubcap thanks!  And thanks for the welcome!! I like the string idea.  I’ve done turkeys before but wanted to try a spatchcocked bird.  IMO I think it’s easier the carve...
  • The largest spatchcock Turkey I have done is 17lb, there was room still, 2 hours 45 min @ 350 indirect and it hit the temp nicely
    Enjoying life in Cincinnati, Ohio - Large BGE & MiniMax BGE
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    edited November 2018
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,110
    I did (2) ~13# birds yesterday.  The first one gave me fits getting on right.  That one leg just wanted to keep sticking out.  I have done 16# birds no issue though.

Second one though came out perfect.

XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • Ive been convinced I can do a 20-21lb bird direct on a Large so Im gonna try it Thursday, fingers crossed. 
    Rhode Island
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    I've done two 20#'ers on the XL side by side with the plate setter in.  It was tough to get the lid closed, but after a few hours the birds shrunk were not long touching the sides.

Make sure you clean burn!! 
  • TurtleTiger
    TurtleTiger Posts: 93
    edited November 2018
    My wife purchased the turkey why I was out of town last weekend.  It is a 22# bird and I did wrap a string and it seemed discouraging.  I really want to spatchcock the turkey this year.  I don't have vertical rack, but she did buy two roasting pans with a wire support.  I may be able to bend up the roasting pans to elevate the center and get it up? thinking like this ^ to shorten it.  Could I stand two beer cans in the center?  

I guess if I can't make it work I can cut it in half or do it on the gas grill.
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    @TurtleTiger I have not tried a bird that large on a large, but maybe your plan will work.  I would definitely do a dry run the night before with a cool egg to know what your game/layout plan is going to be come game time. 

If you can get over the need to spatchcock it, think about deboning it. Last year was 2 @ 14 or 15 Lbs. One for dinner, and one for the relatives who ask for leftovers and would leave me without any if I did not do two birds. 
    I did one each last year, and the deboned was great. Plenty of room as you can see. I would think a 22# could fit as well if cooked/ this way. But full disclosure, I have never done one that large.  I would rather go with 2 smaller birds than one large. 

Let us us know how you make out. 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • Kjunbob
    Kjunbob Posts: 118
    I just measured my LGE, and the diameter of the grill is 18.5 inches.. and a string over the widest part of the bird was about 19 inches.   I don't want to end up with a Spatchcocked bird that won't fit, so I guess I am forced to do the 20#er in the traditional way.

Large Egg.  New Orleans Area
  • lousubcap
    @Kjunbob Did you compensate for the reduction in bird splayed width once the back-bone is removed?  If not then you should be good to go.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Kjunbob
    Kjunbob Posts: 118
    Thanks... Perhaps so, but once I cut it, I am worried about it not fitting.  It will be a super tight fit.
    Large Egg.  New Orleans Area
  • lousubcap
    You are right about the tight fit and the committed journey if you decide to spatch.  BTW- as you know, you will get a great outcome going traditional as well.  
    If you go the traditional way, test fit for vertical clearance as well.  Remove the dome thermo clip if still installed so you don't impale it on the bird.  Many use a spacer (wine cork) and run the thermo thru the cork (width) on the outside of the dome for additional clearance.  FWIW-
  • TurtleTiger
    TurtleTiger Posts: 93
    edited November 2018
    I think I'm just going to wuss out and do the Mad Max method this year.  I'll do a smaller bird for Christmas.  I have everything I need and I know it will fit.  The roasting pan and everything fit with no issue.

@Sea2Ski the boneless method looks interesting, but I've never done it and not sure if I have all the appropriate tools (didn't check whats needed).  

• Sea2Ski
    I think I'm just going to wuss out and do the Mad Max method this year.  I'll do a smaller bird for Christmas.  I have everything I need and I know it will fit.  The roasting pan and everything fit with no issue.

@Sea2Ski the boneless method looks interesting, but I've never done it and not sure if I have all the appropriate tools (didn't check whats needed).  

You have the tools, but do you have the guts to try it?  Ha ya. It is not hard.  Like anything new, you do not know what to expect. 
    It takes me 45 mins to do one. Go slow and make deliberate cuts.  Follow along by clingwrapping the screen of your phone/pad/keyboard - trust me. 
    Video is of a chicken - the technique is the same for a turkey. 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nfY0lrdXar8
    Large and MiniMax

• I’ve done a 21lber spatchcocked on my large... it was tight but made it work.  I’ve got a 20lber this year.  
    South Florida - Large BGE (DOB:  12/07/2013)
  • Is everyone going direct or indirect?  In the past I’ve cooked them indirect and in the v-rack and they came out great.
  • Sea2Ski
    Is everyone going direct or indirect?  In the past I’ve cooked them indirect and in the v-rack and they came out great.
    Personal preference, but I go raised direct 380-400F
    Large and MiniMax

• Yeah looking at it I could have probably gotten it to fit.  I think Mad Max will be good as well.  Happy Turkey Day Everyone!
  • feef706
    feef706 Posts: 853
    What’s the largest spatchcock turkey that will fit on the lrg bge grid?
    Thanks for asking the question, I was wondering the same thing the other day so ended up getting a 12lb and 13.5lb to be safe, sounds like its no problem at all to go large.
  • feef706
    Yeah looking at it I could have probably gotten it to fit.  I think Mad Max will be good as well.  Happy Turkey Day Everyone!
    Looking good, ive done that method and everyone was pleased, timing it was hit and miss for me though. 

On a side note, any chance you can post a pic of your entire grill station? I like the look of what i can see. Thanks and happy Turkey Day!
  • 20lber spatch’d.... no problem on large 
    South Florida - Large BGE (DOB:  12/07/2013)
  • @TurtleTiger looks excellent!!! 
  • @feef706 here you go.  Nothing too crazy but I like it.  
  • Finally got it on the grill.  14lbs fits fine.  The spatchcock didn’t come out perfect, doing it at the cabin with limited tools.  

• Finally got it on the grill.  14lbs fits fine.  The spatchcock didn’t come out perfect, doing it at the cabin with limited tools.  

Turned out awesome!!! 

• 3- BGE’s  2(Large) 1(Mini Max) 
  • feef706
    edited November 2018
    xfire_ATX said:
    I did (2) ~13# birds yesterday.  The first one gave me fits getting on right.  That one leg just wanted to keep sticking out.  I have done 16# birds no issue though.

Second one though came out perfect.

@xfire_ATX What was the rough average cook time for both birds, im trying to do a 12# spatchcock one night this week after work and want to make sure i have enough time.