Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Drip pans?

Options
JaredT
JaredT Posts: 0
edited August 2012 in Using the Egg
My wonderful wife just bought me an XL Egg for my birthday. Although I love it so far and have big plans for using it, I didnt do any research prior to having one on my porch. Ive seen a couple of posts about drip pans but would like some clarification on why, placement, and anything else I might need to know.

Comments

• 1911Man
    1911Man Posts: 366
    Options
    AFAIK, drip pans are used inside the eggs when doing indirect cooking. Not under the egg to catch drippings (since any that are not caught by a pan will hit the coals and flare up).
    Enjoy your egg, I know I'm enjoying mine.
    Large BGE with CGS Woo Ring, stone with stainless pan, Smokeware chimney cap, Kick Ash basket and Kick Ash can.
    Living free in the 603 (Pelham).
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    edited November 2018
    Options
    1911Man said:
    AFAIK, drip pans are used inside the eggs when doing indirect cooking. Not under the egg to catch drippings (since any that are not caught by a pan will hit the coals and flare up).
    Enjoy your egg, I know I'm enjoying mine.
    Drip pans are usually placed under the grid (and protein that you are cooking) and above the deflector stone in an indirect set up.  The drip pan should be placed on "spacers" - something to raise the drip pan above the stone so their is an air gap to keep the drippings from scorching (and making an acrid smell) - foil balls work or I use old socket wrench sockets.  Some put salt or water/juice in the drip pan, but it's really not necessary (note that if you put liquid in the drip pan, it will create a heat sink and your temp will spike when it evaporates).

Depending on the protein you are cooking, some people will just let it drip on the stone and cook off.  YMMV, but I would highly recommend a drip pan for high fat proteins like brisket or pork butt.
    NOLA
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Weird, I didn't realize this was a necro thread.  I'll leave that here for search purposes. 
    NOLA
  • 1911Man
    1911Man Posts: 366
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    Weird, I didn't realize this was a necro thread.  I'll leave that here for search purposes. 
    I'm not dead!! It's only a flesh wound!!
    Large BGE with CGS Woo Ring, stone with stainless pan, Smokeware chimney cap, Kick Ash basket and Kick Ash can.
    Living free in the 603 (Pelham).