Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Flameboss vs Smobot

What say you guys? Was thinking of Smobot for some overnight cooks as smobot works more naturally with the design of the egg. I could be wrong.
O-Town, FL

Comments

• Never tried Smobot but I've been very happy with my Flamboss 300...
    Chicago, IL BGE XL BGE Mini Webber Charcoal / Elmhurst, IL
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    edited November 2018
    I've never used a smobot, but have extensive experience with a lot of different controls including the FB.

The one thing I like about the blowers is that they can maintain a much lower temp and restart the fire if it goes out.  You used to set the egg up like you normally would for that temp, then the controller was their to stoke the fire if it was low.  Now you close the daisy wheel and let the controller keep stoking the fire to keep it going.  So if you do get a flame-out overnight due wind (or lack their of), ash build up, or something else in the fire box, that fan can really get things going again before it's too late.

A controller without a fan can open the top daisy wheel, and since heat rises, will draw air through the door.....but no guarantees how much or if it will be enough.

• Cashfan
    Cashfan Posts: 416
    I have had both for quite a while now and don't regret buying either one of them. They both work as advertised and their customer service is excellent. I would buy both of them again immediately if I had to.

If cooking more in the 225-250 range the Flameboss would get the nod, for the same reasons as what @stlcharcoal said above. I have held as low as 180 with the Smobot when doing bacon, making sure my fire was well established and my lump more concentrated than normal. 

I struggle with the Flameboss because it tends to overshoot the temp, then the fire dies as the temp drops because the fan isn't running for a long period. I've found that in order to avoid that I initially set the pit temp 50-75 lower than needed. When it overshoots, I bump up the pit temp and away it goes, within a few degrees for hours.

The Smobot does work naturally like the egg. As long as there is good airflow and well established fire, your good to go, same as if it wasn't being used.

There is a bit of a learning curve, and the majority of my problems with them have been when I was impatient, lazy or in a hurry and didn't take the time to establish a good fire, let them settle in properly, or wasn't paying attention to what was going on with the grill.
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    I researched for several months trying to figure out what would work best for me. I settled on the smobot. I don't think you could find a simpler unit and that was very important to me. I simply put the daisy wheel on top, clip my thermo cable to the dome thermometer and place the probe(s) in the cook and open the bottom vent to 1/2. Plug the 2/3 cables to your doohickey and plug your doohickey in. Tap the app on my iPhone, log in and select your temps for egg and IT. Done. I have cooked 18 hrs with vary little variance in temp. +-5
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Cashfan said:

I struggle with the Flameboss because it tends to overshoot the temp, then the fire dies as the temp drops because the fan isn't running for a long period. I've found that in order to avoid that I initially set the pit temp 50-75 lower than needed. When it overshoots, I bump up the pit temp and away it goes, within a few degrees for hours.

Me too, but it was a two part issue......both that have been corrected.

First, FB constantly tweaks the algorithm and it's gotten a lot better over time.  The unit learns as it goes, so it doesn't overshoot.

The other thing was that I was leaving the daisy wheel open.  Close it off, and let the FB fan push the air through it.  I'll still set it 25F under out of habit, then bump it up.

On initial startup, it was just a matter of the ceramic being cold.  The fire going is a lot bigger than it needs to be, because the cold ceramic and big piece of cold meat is sucking heat up like crazy.  Once both of those come up to temp, something needs to seriously knock that fire down......because the egg is so efficient, it needs very little air to maintain it.  So, that's were closing the daisy wheel really helps.  It's pretty cool to watch on the graph and compare it to the old ones from many years ago.  FB really did a good job perfecting it.

• RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035
    Longtime owner of a DigiQ, which obviously has a fan like the FB…….purchased directly from Shotgun Fred, what a class act he was.  I have added a Smobot to the stable and love it.  I have not used the DigiQ a single time since buying the Smobot.  The Smobot is able to maintain temps for me in the low 200's without a problem and what I love about it is that you have one less variable to contend with when trying to control your fire.  I found that my Digi is unpredictable.  The customer service and support runs second to none.  There are a couple other reasons I chose the Smobot and do not regret my decision.  Whichever way you go, Good Luck!
    The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.
  • Ya'll know they got these smokers now you can just plug into an outlet. 
    I used to be able to name every nut that there was. 
  • I've never used a smobot, but have extensive experience with a lot of different controls including the FB.

The one thing I like about the blowers is that they can maintain a much lower temp and restart the fire if it goes out.  You used to set the egg up like you normally would for that temp, then the controller was their to stoke the fire if it was low.  Now you close the daisy wheel and let the controller keep stoking the fire to keep it going.  So if you do get a flame-out overnight due wind (or lack their of), ash build up, or something else in the fire box, that fan can really get things going again before it's too late.

A controller without a fan can open the top daisy wheel, and since heat rises, will draw air through the door.....but no guarantees how much or if it will be enough.

This is all perfectly logical supposition, and probably well intended, but describes issues that don't actually exist.  As stated, @stlcharcoal has never used a SMOBOT.

There have been a couple of instances of SMOBOT flame-outs (literally 2 users that I can think of - one of them on this forum), likely associated with startup method and/or charcoal quality, or for simply not putting enough charcoal in the bowl.  So, practically, it isn't really something that ever happens.

On the other hand, there have been several users who have praised SMOBOT because it solved the flame-out issues they were having with their popular blower controller! (which I won't name out of courtesy)

Anyway, controlling reliably down to180F-190F for many, many hours on end until there's virtually no charcoal left is easy and reliable with SMOBOT.  I and others have been doing it for years without any problems whatsoever.  Wind doesn't seem to matter much, if at all. 

Plus, the new apps offer audible alarms if there's an unlikely issue in the night.

I generally don't chime in on these threads, and I have no intention of speaking negatively about _any_ controller out there, but I feel compelled to correct mis-information, even if it was well intended. 

Thanks!
    Eric

PS - thanks to everyone for all the kind words!  :-)
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Cashfan said:

Me too, but it was a two part issue......both that have been corrected.

First, FB constantly tweaks the algorithm and it's gotten a lot better over time.  The unit learns as it goes, so it doesn't overshoot.

The other thing was that I was leaving the daisy wheel open.  Close it off, and let the FB fan push the air through it.  I'll still set it 25F under out of habit, then bump it up.

On initial startup, it was just a matter of the ceramic being cold.  The fire going is a lot bigger than it needs to be, because the cold ceramic and big piece of cold meat is sucking heat up like crazy.  Once both of those come up to temp, something needs to seriously knock that fire down......because the egg is so efficient, it needs very little air to maintain it.  So, that's were closing the daisy wheel really helps.  It's pretty cool to watch on the graph and compare it to the old ones from many years ago.  FB really did a good job perfecting it.

Does that apply to a Smokeware Cap as well?
  • My Flameboss Rocks! I am a believer, this things works exceptionally well. I use the 3 probes with no complaints. I Like watching the cook at work on my computer and text when i reach a temp.

• Slippy
    Slippy Posts: 214
    Am I imagining this, or was there a link or discount code for the Smobot for members of this site? Wishful thinking perhaps? 
    Rockwall, TX  •  LBGE, Big Hat Ranger offset smoker, Really old 22" Weber Kettle, Pile of Pecan and Post Oak... 
  • Wylecyot
    Wylecyot Posts: 203
    So I'll chime in...I resisted for a while, believing I didn't need a temperature controller.  Hey, I've been using a BGE for many years without one and never had an issue. But as I get older, I'm valuing sleep and peace of mind more and more.  @stlcharcoal provided me with great insight regarding the Flame Boss, but I ultimately decided to go with the SMOBOT.  I'm sure I would have been happy with either device, but I liked the fact that the SMOBOT allows the egg to function as designed without a fan.  I've enjoyed following the development of the SMOBOT here on this forum, and decided to give it a try.  I like it so much I decided to by a second one.  

Again, I believe both units are quickly products and will work well forward you.  Either way, you'll get great customer service and friendly advice.  
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Kamado Joe Jr, 36" Blackstone Griddle Blackstone Tailgater and Roccbox owner/operator from Los Angeles
  • 510BG
    510BG Posts: 189
    edited November 2018
    After my failed attempt at smoke a pork butt while at work a contoller seems like the best option. Only thing holding me back is the price. 
  • I have both and I am currently using the SMOBOT for my last several cooks;  The only issue I have had with SMOBOT was a bad USB cable and a temp probe;   I have had my FB for a bit so may need a software update as I did experience some of the issues mentioned above;
    XL, 2-Lg, Mini, 36" Blackstone (Formerly CM23)
  • 510BG
    510BG Posts: 189
    I have both and I am currently using the SMOBOT for my last several cooks;  The only issue I have had with SMOBOT was a bad USB cable and a temp probe;   I have had my FB for a bit so may need a software update as I did experience some of the issues mentioned above;
    @BulletGrillHouse if you ever decide you don't need both I'd be happy to take one off your hands. 
  • RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035
    Sure, ya don't need it, they say!  So, I go down to the Cadillac dealership and tell the salesman I want to buy a new Caddy without power windows.  Imagine the look on his face.  :)  Buy the SMOBOT and smoke in style, effortlessly.
    The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.
  • Does the smobot get in your way by being on the top? Where do you set it? Seems like the blower options are out of the way from the lid by being on the bottom?  
    Edwardsville, IL (Near St. Louis, MO)
    Large Big Green Egg & Weber Genesis II 
  • Does the smobot get in your way by being on the top? Where do you set it? Seems like the blower options are out of the way from the lid by being on the bottom?  
    I actually would think it would be the opposite. I would be more concerned about bumping into the fan attached to the lower vent.
    Stillwater, MN
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    I’m not sure what your question is but if you’re talking about the dw I put mine in an outdoor closet with all my egg and grilling supplies. The same place I would put the fan. 
  • How does the smobot  work with the new rEGGulators?
    Bloomington Indiana.  
    XL egg and 6 other grills/smokers
    Former KCBS competitor 062Que
  • I'm really leaning towards Smobot over fan options.. I think the top reason is Wifi Capabilities. Trying to make a decision soon. I haven't really seen a bad review on Smobot so far.   :s
    Edwardsville, IL (Near St. Louis, MO)
    Large Big Green Egg & Weber Genesis II 
  • In all fairness, what are the odds of someone buying both gadgets and using them enough to be able to offer a good comparison review?

Just buy one and if you're happy with it then stick with it. If not, try a different one.

Personally, I'm happy with my FB 200 so no interest in the rest.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Another reason I like the SMOBOT—

My eggs are about 15 feet from the closest power outlet, so I wanted a controller that would reliably run for a long time off a battery.

I have no facts to back it up, but I surmised SMOBOT would use less energy than a fan based model, so a battery would last longer.  That servo barely moves once temp is achieved and the controller backlight goes off, so very little energy use.  Just seems more efficient than a fan going on and off. 
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • I have a Flameboss, considering the outage on Thanksgiving, which nobody uses their egg, the servers go down... I will be buying a SMOBOT and smashing my FB with a hammer....
    Chicago, IL BGE XL BGE Mini Webber Charcoal / Elmhurst, IL
  • bubbajack
    bubbajack Posts: 1,088
    Another reason I like the SMOBOT—

My eggs are about 15 feet from the closest power outlet, so I wanted a controller that would reliably run for a long time off a battery.

I have no facts to back it up, but I surmised SMOBOT would use less energy than a fan based model, so a battery would last longer.  That servo barely moves once temp is achieved and the controller backlight goes off, so very little energy use.  Just seems more efficient than a fan going on and off. 
    When I got my Smobot, I bought a 10000mAh dual port battery for it ($15.00). I was able to complete an 16 hour brisket cook and only used one of the four lights on the battery. I am sure that it would run 2 smobots for overnighters with more power to spare. So far I am been very pleased with the smobot,  Android app, and connectivity. I have not used any other controllers to have a comparison. 
    I drink cheap beer so I can afford good bourbon.

Salisbury, NC...... XL,Lx3,Mx2,S, MM, Mini BGE, FireDisc x2. Blackstone 22", Offset smoker, weber kettle 22"

• Just gave swmbo website and discount code! Cant wait for Christmas now!
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

•  I understand the frustration with the server issues. I like the Flame Boss using the fan because it helps me get the LGE up to temperature on days when it’s not cooperating. 
    LBGE, 36" Blackstone, Anova Pro
    Charleston, SC