Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - convection oven? - OT

Options
Powak
Powak Posts: 1,391
Is this rig a convection oven? I know it has some modes specific to convection roasting and baking but trying to figure out if it’s always actually a convection oven. Doing our turkey in it this year and times for convection ovens are significantly less.

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Looks like it is, see the fans in the back. Most convection ovens can be operated as conventional without the fans or convection. I can't really tell from that control panel if there's an option on that one. Convection is preferred IMHO. Use a probe thermometer and cook to temp.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Yes sir, that is a convection oven. I’m not familiar with that model, but just looking at your controls it looks like you have roast and bake with convection and broil and bake without convection. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Powak
    Options
    DMW said:
    Looks like it is, see the fans in the back. Most convection ovens can be operated as conventional without the fans or convection. I can't really tell from that control panel if there's an option on that one. Convection is preferred IMHO. Use a probe thermometer and cook to temp.
    Yes I can bake in convection mode
    or non convection. There’s no element on the bottom oven that’s why I wondered if it’s always convection cooking.
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Slide the unit out and get the model number and Google it for verification, but appears you have it by the fan nomenclature on top of the buttons.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Powak said:
    DMW said:
    Yes I can bake in convection mode
    or non convection. There’s no element on the bottom oven that’s why I wondered if it’s always convection cooking.
    Convection is with the fans. No fans is conventional. The increased airflow with fans cooks faster and will also yield crisper skin. I would go with convection and if you want to time it similar to conventional, go 25* lower than usual.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    The (fan) bake and (fan) roast are the convection settings. The bake and broil without are the regular options without the blower fan. They either light up or a logo lights up on the display when you press the button.
  • milesvdustin
    Options
    I have a convection oven like that. It actually kicks in the preheat again when you start the fan, I guess from the cooler air spots getting mixed in 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• milesvdustin
    Options
    I wish my oven had a chi chi nugs button on it.  

Yes, we call them that in our house, along with many other weird names for everything 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    Legume said:

I can’t stop laughing at this.
    Exactly. Talk about burying the lead. 
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • Powak
    Options
    Legume said:

I can’t stop laughing at this.
    Hahahah I know. I wish it was a meatloaf button.
  • CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
    Options
     That is most definitely a convection oven. Capable of operating in convection or non-convection modes. Your bottom "bake" element is below the floor. At the cost of longer pre-heat these type of setups are a bit more temp stable than exposed burners.
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • Powak
    Options
    How would this oven do on convection mode with turkey?