Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dressing on BGE recipe?

Options
wanting to do dressing on the egg this year for turkey day, does anyone have a goto recipe?

Comments

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited November 2018
    Options
    I can send you one later (traveling at the moment)....but it really Is more about the ingrediates than the amounts (I know sounds odd). Reality is you need bread, rolls etc (stale) and can use whatever you have around (exception something like rye with seeds) as you are basically grinding or breaking them down into bread crumbs. Additionally, you need an equal amount of cornbread, cooled and broken up. For dressing, i don’t like cornbread that has sugar in it....but ok to use if it is what you have. 

In a mixing bowl, you are going to add a few whisked eggs, some melted butter, some foul stock ( chix is fine if purchasing)....or turkey if you have it. You want to add raw onions and celery (minced) and stir all ingrediates together. I love a lot of onion and celery myself, but this is where you start adjusting to your personal preference.

Now for the seasoning, you want to taste your mixture as your other ingrediates contain salt....and you want to be careful not to over do this. I add some pepper and of course the all important Rubbed Sage. Add gradually as you can’t take it out once added. :) Mix adding additional stock to form a soft mix. Again taste and adjust. When cooking, you will not really be modifying the taste profile.....more of a solidifying the mixture. 

Pour into an appropriate cooking dish, pan or casserole for baking. You can go one inch thick or two, even three inches deep...if you wish to to. You will be cooking to stiffness so the thicker you go....likly will require some additional cooking time. 

One more thing, I add some pat’s of butter on top and usually sprinkle a little bit of paprika for color. Bake indirect on egg uncovered. Cover if browning starts to outrun doneness based on the thickness. Test like you would a cake....looking for solid all the way through.

Hope this is helpful....it is important to understand that your ingrediate amounts are flexible based on your preference. Your eggs are your binder so think maybe 2-4 per traditional casserole dish. You can cook it around 325 plus or mi us.

Wishing you the best of Holliday’s and by all means enjoy your family. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • TheEGGcredibleFulk
    Options
    @northGAcock thank you and I look forward to seeing your recipe 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options

Dressing

Ingredients

2 Cups corn meal 

½ cup plain flour 

1 ½ tablespoons baking powder 

1 ½ tablespoon salt 

1 Cup Milk 

½ cup shortening

3-4 onions menaced 

1 cup chopped celery 

Black Pepper to taste 

1 ½ tablespoon of sage 

2 eggs 

2 Cups broth of foul 

6 slices of toasted bread 

Do not add salt. Corn meal has salt in it.

Preparation Method

1.      Sift Flour, corn meal baking soda and salt 

2.      Add shortening (Hot) 

3.      Add Milk 

4.      Add enough water to make mixture 

5.      Put in greased pan and bake about 25 min. 

6.      When cool crumble and add 6 slices of toasted bread crumbled very fine

7.      Add Onion, celery, pepper, sage, and eggs (lightly beaten) 

8.      Mix well with Turkey or chicken stock to make a soft mixture 

9.      Put in greased baking pan and dot with shortening 

10.  Bake at 375 F. Until Brown (About 45 Minutes)

Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow