Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wangs with Sriracha/Bourbon Sauce

Options
Botch
Botch Posts: 15,467
Realized last night that my 1/4-sheet pan, with wire rack, does fit in my refrigerator if I removed all the beer from the top shelf; I worked diligently on this last night.
Salted both sides of the wangs and set them on the wire rack, let them sit/brine/dry for a few hours.  Threw them on the Large with cherry smoke, and looked at my collected sauce recipes.  I didn't have all the required ingredients for any of them, so I just threw some things together to see what happens; approximately:
1/4 cup sriracha
1/4 cup bourbon
A tblspn of soy sauce
A tblspn of agave nectar (honey would be fine)
I whisked it all together, but it was quite thin for a basting sauce.  I had a bottle of maple syrup, glopped some into the bowl and this hideous, slimy black thing slipped out of the bottle and into the sauce!  Thought I had ruined a 1/4-cup of bourbon but then saw it was a damn vanilla bean; I rinsed it off and slid it back into the syrup.  Sauce was still thin but decided to go with it.  
Once the wings hit 160º I dipped them in the sauce, put them back on the grill, and swabbed more sauce on top.  Let them cook another 5 minutes, and repeated the bath/baste.  Five more minutes, and they were done:

Not bad!  Even though the sauce was thin just the right amount seemed to stick, and was sticky and delicious and pretty well balanced, not bad for winging it (>Knock!-Knock!!<  "Pun Police!!").  I would like to thicken it up somehow (suggestions?) so I didn't have to baste twice; otherwise this one's a keeper for me.  Green beans and wheat tortillas completed the meal.  
Thanks for looking!

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

Comments

• Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    The double dip looks like it worked fine. Tasty.
  • smokingal
    smokingal Posts: 1,025
    edited November 2018
    Options
    The wings look tasty.  For thickening, you could try mixing a portion of the wet ingredients, like the soy sauce and bourbon, with a bit of corn starch, then stir that into the basting sauce.
    It's "Smokin Gal", not "Smoking Al".
    Egging in the Atlanta GA region
    Large BGE, CGS setup, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware SS Cap,
    Arteflame grill grate

http://barbecueaddict.com
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    They look really good. I agree that cornstarch is a good thickener. Another thing to try is just reducing it in a pot on the stove. One more suggestion is some type of jelly...like a pepper jelly or orange marmalade. Just to give credit
    http://www.thewolfepit.com/2009/10/orange-marmalade-sriracha-wings.html

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Grillin_beers
    Options
    Orange marmalade would take it to the next level for sure! 
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    I didn't think cornstarch could thicken unless it was heated; I could've cooked the sauce a bit but that might've driven off some of the volatiles in the bourbon.
    ...although it does see the grill heat.  Hmmmm.  
    The jelly/marmalade idea is interesting (I'd probably leave out the honey in that instance, although my favorite duck glaze is 50/50 honey and orange marmalade).  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Sounds great to me man.  Sometimes it's fun when you just have to "wing it" !
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    Great audible and outcome.  Killer looking finish. Somewhere there has to be a suitable bourbon substitute  ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Looks delicious Botch!  Suggestions for thicker?  Double the sauce and and just a splash more bourbon and slowly heat to make a reduction.  I've done this for a few dishes with so-so results. If you screw up you're still left with good eats and bourbon :smiley:
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL