Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT How is I 65 North to Louisville OT

In Fort Lauderdale, flights delayed and cancelled everywhere. Trying to get to Nashville to drive North to Louisville.
Let me know what you think.
"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
Louisville, Kentucky

Comments

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Good luck Ron, can't help you with the road conditions up there but if you only make to ATL you have a place to stay.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited November 2018
    YukonRon said:
    In Fort Lauderdale, flights delayed and cancelled everywhere. Trying to get to Nashville to drive North to Louisville.
    Let me know what you think.
    Get to Charlotte....i’ll Pick you up. We will find wine.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    @YukonRon Certainly no high drama weather guesser, but the roads are fine, air temp is 33*F and I did not see any roadway alerts on the local news an hour ago.  You may want to google the KY transportation as well as TN departments as they are pretty aggressive with the alerts.  That doesn't preclude someone screwing up big time, independent of any weather.
     If you can get to Nashville you are home-free.  Front wheel drive rental would help but I haven't seen anything out there this PM that make it exciting with a rear-wheel power plant. 
    I will do more research if this becomes an option for you.  Just let me know. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Forget robin. Get here. I’ll even spring for the fancy boxed wine. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    lousubcap said:
    @YukonRon Certainly no high drama weather guesser, but the roads are fine, air temp is 33*F and I did not see any roadway alerts on the local news an hour ago.  You may want to google the KY transportation as well as TN departments as they are pretty aggressive with the alerts.  That doesn't preclude someone screwing up big time, independent of any weather.
     If you can get to Nashville you are home-free.  Front wheel drive rental would help but I haven't seen anything out there this PM that make it exciting with a rear-wheel power plant. 
    I will do more research if this becomes an option for you.  Just let me know. 
    Thanks Frank. That is the plan. I have accumulated about 8 drink tickets due to all the flight cancellations and redirects starting at 1530 today.
    Home for tonight, been gone too long.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • g8golfer
    g8golfer Posts: 1,025
    Snowing in eastern KY now Ron. Be safe brother. 
  • lousubcap
    @YukonRon just hit 3 different traffic management/alert sites as well as the DOT info-you are good to go.  When do you expect to get to Nashville...and can you get to Cincinnati (CVG) sooner as it is a much shorter commute as you well know?
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Roads are all good. Probably get slick again tonight but no snow in the Louisville area. 75 is a bit dicey but 65 you’re good to go. 
  • Jeremiah
    Morning bump. Did you make it home Ron??
  • Jeremiah

• Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    i drive it often from Huntsville to Indy and Kentucky is the best state to drive through, it is three lanes basically the whole way and you can cruise pretty easily. 

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• YukonRon
    Made it. Luggage is somewhere in Southwest luggage purgatory, but after 2 airport changes, along with 3 flight changes in a span of 4 hours, with little time between, along side hundreds of others doing the same thing, it is understandable.
    Hopefully it will show up today.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    YukonRon said:
    Made it. Luggage is somewhere in Southwest luggage purgatory, but after 2 airport changes, along with 3 flight changes in a span of 4 hours, with little time between, along side hundreds of others doing the same thing, it is understandable.
    good to hear, i will be making that drive on tuesday.

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    YukonRon said:
    Should have flown through the world’s greatest airport...
  • lousubcap
    YukonRon said:
    Glad you made it.  If SWA was concerned about flying into to SDF with this weather I wonder how they will respond should we get a real winter storm...
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon said:
    Should have flown through the world’s greatest airport...
    Live and learn. 

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    lousubcap said:
    YukonRon said:
    Glad you made it.  If SWA was concerned about flying into to SDF with this weather I wonder how they will respond should we get a real winter storm...
    They flew in, but due to the storm, all the connectors were screwed up. Flights out of West Palm Beach were delayed 3-4 hours, Fort Lauderdale was the same. By the time you got to any of the major hubs, you missed your connector, with no options until late Friday (if any) or Saturday.
    That is why I rolled the dice to get to Nashville and make the drive up, which, for a couple hours in a rental, getting in at 2AM, was worth it.
    I had a flight several years ago to KC in a mother of a storm. SW got me there, but the headwinds were so strong, it was a brutal flight. (Oxygen masks dropped, stuff flying around in the cabin, etc.) The pilot had to put it down in Columbia MO to refuel.
    We got there, but, without a doubt, that was the hairiest commercial flight I had ever been on.
    The pilot had some balls on that flight.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • lousubcap
    Glad the road conditions were as advertised earlier.
    Now about that flight you described-that's out there.  Your pilot sounds like a former Navy jet jockey who forgot what type plane he was flying  ;)
    I've only seen the oxygen masks drop once and that was due to such a hard landing @ATL (broad day light and no weather/wind) that the plane was taken off-line.  I only know that as I was supposed to continue on that plane/flight to DC.  Audible called.