Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT OT vacuum sealer help OT OT

Okay I've been thinking about a sealer for a while, I've been stuck on a 16" wide vacmaster PRO380 because I can seal larger items like prosciutto legs and packer briskets etc., and the Lem maxvac 1000, and the Weston Pro-3000. Then when I read through old post on here I read people saying that they would want a chamber vac sealer like the VacMaster VP210, and the weston pro-2500. So here is my dilemma, I have not vacuum sealed anything so far but I do buy my meat at cost-co and at a local butcher. When I buy meat at the club I normally buy much more then I could use in a week so I end up freezing in ziplock storage bags but can't freeze anything bigger then the gallon size bags. I would like to step up my meat game and order a ½ cow soon hence the desire for a vacuum sealer. As far as liquids i have not made soups yet but doesn't mean i will not in the future. I also have not sousvide but again that may change as well. I have not frozen any marinated meats in the past but who nows. So since I gave such vague requirements I'm hoping someone can tell me what they suggest. I even read somewhere that someone vacuum sealed a riffle i like the idea of having the ability to such a large seal. Im afraid the answer is I may need both but really will not be able to get SWMBO to allow 2 she is fighting 1.
Please help all suggestions are welcome.

Long Island NY    
1 XL BGE 12/17, 1 LG BGE 3/18, 1 MM BGE 3/18

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    edited November 2018
    I use the Heck out of my food saver and no issues, I want a chamber sealer then thought you were limited in bag size ...then saw you can use bags external to the chamber sealer so you really are not limited in size ...im going chamber myself ...I do believe there is one regular sealer that is a bit wider than most...that is attractive .....not totally what you asked but my 2 cents ...Foodsaver at Costco is a steal if you just want to try one...Im sure others will chime in

https://youtu.be/Oe51RNVr79c

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • I think most get the vacmaster vp215, has the oil lubricated pump

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    I tried to talk myself into a chamber sealer but just could not justify it over the VM Pro 380.
    I was discouraged with it at first but it was only the vac master roll that came with it.
    I just don’t do enough liquids or real soft foods. This is where a chamber sealer really shines.
    The 380 has preformed perfect with Foodsaver bags as well as the Cabela’s brand. Those are very tough, strong bags.
    For the money, I would highly recommend it.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    @lkapigian - I did not know that you could seal from the outside of a chamber vac. Good to know!
    The beauty of the sealer sold at Costco is that you can use it for many years and then just take it back for a refund when you decide to buy something else. :)

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• lkapigian
    Photo Egg said:
    I tried to talk myself into a chamber sealer but just could not justify it over the VM Pro 380.
    I was discouraged with it at first but it was only the vac master roll that came with it.
    I just don’t do enough liquids or real soft foods. This is where a chamber sealer really shines.
    The 380 has preformed perfect with Foodsaver bags as well as the Cabela’s brand. Those are very tough, strong bags.
    I thought it was you that had that, it looks like an awesome sealer 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • mlc2013
    mlc2013 Posts: 988
    lkapigian said:
    I use the Heck out of my food saver and no issues, I want a chamber sealer then thought you were limited in bag size ...then saw you can use bags external to the chamber sealer so you really are not limited in size ...im going chamber myself ...I do believe there is one regular sealer that is a bit wider than most...that is attractive .....not totally what you asked but my 2 cents ...Foodsaver at Costco is a steal if you just want to try one...Im sure others will chime in

https://youtu.be/Oe51RNVr79c

that changes everything, now i have to try and justify the price to myself before i can convince the wife.
    Long Island NY    
  • mlc2013
    Photo Egg said:
    that was my first choice before larry just blew my mind
    Long Island NY    
  • mlc2013
    I saw the pro 380 on webstaurantstore for $380, anyone know of any better deals out there or have a coupon code for webstaurantstore.
    I just can't seem to justify the price difference and size difference for the chamber sealer at this time. Might be a mistake but it won't be the first or the last one I make
    Long Island NY    
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    LEM MaxVac.   Pricey but well sorry but if you are going to need a heavier duty application
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Best vac sealer deal...  ziploc freezer bags and a straw!!~~
  • Photo Egg
    edited November 2018
    mlc2013 said:
    I saw the pro 380 on webstaurantstore for $380, anyone know of any better deals out there or have a coupon code for webstaurantstore.
    I just can't seem to justify the price difference and size difference for the chamber sealer at this time. Might be a mistake but it won't be the first or the last one I make
    added...I also really like the clear, plexi sealer lid on the 380.

It's gone up in price $80 in a little over 2 years. Still, great buy at $380.
    Webstaurantstore was same price as place I purchased from at the time but looks like their price of $380 is now the best. I went with 380 because it would take the wider bags. Chamber sealer will not unless you buy a giant commercial model. I did not have the space or the coin to justify it.

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • mlc2013
    my wife just did a 180 and my head is still spinning, she said you might as well get the bigger one that can do soups because you know your going to want it in a few weeks and then well have 2 things were never going to use instead of 1. I love that lady and she knows me so well. After reviewing the bag prices and the ability to use liquids I can almost justify the price difference. Im also hoping to grab a sale I know LEM occasionally throughs out a 25% code so their vacuum is $999.99 right now so if I wait for another coupon im at $750.00 or the cheapest I found the VP215 so far is $899.99 but ill keep digging. Now does anyone have any experience with either of these units or should I be looking at a different model. Also does anyone have a discount code or know where I can find cheaper.
    Thanks for all your help!!!
    Long Island NY    
  • Photo Egg

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • I have the food saver gsmesaver titanium. I love that I can do 80 seals back to back without letting it cool down. Most I have done it's about 50 in a row. 

• mlc2013
    i called lem since they are out of stock on the chamber sealer thesis they will have some sort of sale for black friday and cyber monday but couldn't tell me anything other then dat so I guess im waiting till next week

Long Island NY    
  • sctdg
    sctdg Posts: 301
    edited November 2018
    If you get a chamber sealer you will want a suction sealer too. A small cheap food saver can take care of your suction packing needs. Chamber sealers won't do containers and unless you get a real deep chamber it won't do liquid in a mason jar. Suction sealers will. I have a Vacmaster PRO350 and a Vacmaster VP120,use them all the time. They are one of most important items in kitchen. Also you can do real quick marinating in a chamber sealer ,like just a few minutes fast . I do it all the time. Use suction sealer for all dry stuff like storing coffee after doing a roast.

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,453
    @sctdg most balanced comments of the thread! I love my Vacmaster VP215 but still use the old suction sealer for occasional oversize items. 
    canuckland
  • mlc2013
    back to telling the wife were getting 2

Long Island NY    
  • lkapigian
    mlc2013 said:
    back to telling the wife were getting 2

This is where the Costco Foodsaver comes in....inexpensive workhorse 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • mlc2013
    I just tried to casually bring it up in conversation and was shot down instantly. She may have won the battle but the war is not over yet
    Long Island NY    
  • lkapigian
    mlc2013 said:
    I just tried to casually bring it up in conversation and was shot down instantly. She may have won the battle but the war is not over yet
    You just show up with it and a " I misunderstood" apology 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    lkapigian said:

You just show up with it and a " I misunderstood" apology 

I do believe that unsanctioned purchases is the reason Costco sells flowers right before the check out line.

Phoenix 
  • sctdg
    sctdg Posts: 301
    mlc2013 said:

Explain that you will be saving money because you will be able to keep food longer without it going bad. Leftovers can be vacuumed packed and frozen for a later quick meal,etc.  I live alone,has it's benefits,just answer to myself.
  • FWIW, I have a Food Saver, and it's awesome.  Far smaller scale than your contemplated uses, but same principle.  We just need to eat all this stuff we save and freeze.  I'll save leftover taco meat, seal and freeze, then use it to make a quesadilla for my daughter some time down the road.  It unquestionably stretches the food dollar.  Whatever brand and method, any foodie should have one.  Good luck.  And stop by that flowers display.  War is hell, my friend...
    Virginia Beach, VA
  • mlc2013
    @blasting @BigGreenBean the only problem with flowers is I own a nursery garden center so they become null and void for any brownie points for me. 
    @lkapigian my apologies to her only work when they end with a phrase “and we’re going to ??? for a week because I love you”
    this is going to be one expensive purchase 
    Long Island NY    
  • Chocolates

• lkapigian
    edited November 2018
    mlc2013 said:
    @blasting @BigGreenBean the only problem with flowers is I own a nursery garden center so they become null and void for any brownie points for me. 
    @lkapigian my apologies to her only work when they end with a phrase “and we’re going to ??? for a week because I love you”
    this is going to be one expensive purchase 
    " and we are going to Vaccum Seal all week because I love you,"
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • mlc2013
    lkapigian yeah not so lucky but i can always try LOL

Long Island NY    
  • lkapigian
    mlc2013 said:
    lkapigian yeah not so lucky but i can always try LOL

It will also make her feel far superior by validating that we are just not very bright individuals 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I’d get a food saver from Costco they have a good one and when they run it on sale which is like 6 times a year it’s $99. I’ve been using one for probably 8 years and have never had the need for anything bigger. I sous vide and buy all my meat from Costco and it works great. I can’t seal a brisket which is about the only large thing I would like to try in the sous vide but I can just do it in the kryovac it comes in I think.