Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best way to smoke a turkey

any tips on the best time/temp to smoke a 12 lb turkey? Doing a trial run tomorrow to prepare for Turkey Day

Comments

• I like raised indirect between 350 and 400. Cooks a lot faster than you think it will. Go real easy on the smoking wood, and brush the skin with sou sauce to get a nice deep color.
    People here like to spatchcock turkeys, it does help the bird cook more evenly but definitely not required.
    Kansas City, Kansas
    Second hand Medium BGE, Second hand Black Kamado Joe Classic, Second hand Weber Kettle, Second hand Weber Smokey Mountain
  • HOW many minutes per pound do you think at 350?
  • Smoke till its about 65% done, then dunk it in a turkey fryer till complete. 
    Atlanta, GA
    Large Egg ~1998 model
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited November 2018
    I find the best way to smoke a turkey is to smoke it in a smoker. J/K. When I have done them it's at about 325-350 indirect and timing wise a 12lb turkey takes between 2-3 hours. But YMMV. I would use a fruit wood if possible for smoke. I tend to like apple for turkey. Also, for a rub I like getting room temp butter and covering the whole turkey in that including under the skin and then sprinkling with Cajun Seasoning or just S&P. Nice Crispy Skin but also flavor on the skin as well as underneath on the meat.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Be sure to ice the breast portion of the bird for 30mins. or so prior to smoking.  Mine always faster than expected.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    I like the 350 smoke roast temps so the skin isn’t rubbery 

no reason to go low and slow on a turkey. It’s lean as F
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Finished product, turned out great! Thanks for all the comments 
  • vb4677
    vb4677 Posts: 686
    Smoke till its about 65% done, then dunk it in a turkey fryer till complete. 
    THAT sounds down-right delicious!
    Kansas City: Too Much City for One State - Missouri side
    2 Large BGE's, Instant Pot, Anova Sous Vide, and a gas smoker...
    Barbeque, Homebrew and Blues...
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Spatchcocked Turkey and Chicken on the Big Green Egg
    (you cut out the backbone and cook opened)
    I like a 11/12 lb bird. If I need lots of turkey I just cook a couple ( 1 & 1/2  hr cook app)
    Chicken 3 to 3.75lb bird or birds. Under an hour cook. 
    Or, just add a package of legs extra. 
    I do not brine the turkey or Chicken. 
    If time I like to leave uncovered in the fridge overnight (no problem if no time) 
    I cook "direct" @ 400/425 on a raised grill "skin side up" and never turn over.
    I will use a coffee rub. Use what you like.
    NOTE PLEASE (A LOT OF SMOKE IS NOT YOU FRIEND)
    I use about a single handfull of mixed chips: Cherry & Pecan. 
    Cook Turkey to temp (not time) breast @ 155/160 and thigh @ 165.
    Cook Chicken to temp breast 160.
    Rest both 10 mins.

Coffee Rub (turkey, chicken, beef & pork)
    Equal part: Instant Expresso Ground coffee..
    Equal part: Brown Sugar..
    ½ part: Black Pepper..
    ½ part: Kosher Salt..
    ½ part: Garlic Powder..
    ¾ part: Ancho Chili Powder..
    NOTE: I just start with a small jar of the Instant Expresso Ground coffee and use the jar for all measurements. 
    Don't worry on exact, just close on measurement. I used to use turbinado sugar but we like with brown better. This is pulled from MollyShark, Hungry Man, & Richard In Fl then tweaked. I find the ancho chili powder is far less expensive in the bulk spice area than the bottled area ( have used both light or dark version). I make it starting with a half cup Instant Expresso Ground coffee and work from there as it seems to store well if sealed.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.