Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Game Cook *Stay Tuned*

MattBTI
MattBTI Posts: 417
Last weekend was opening weekend for pheasant in Kansas. We had a successful hunt and I've decided on a mini-game feed for my wife and I tonight. I "breasted out" most of the birds from our share, however I did clean two whole (minus the wings). I'll be using one of the whole birds.  I'm following a recipe from Ruhlman that started with a basic brine consisting of DQ#1, water, kocher salt and sugar. I'll be smoking the bird @ 225F ish dome target. A burbon glaze will go on about halfway through the cook and again at the end....I'm also making dove-breast poppers (onion petal, dove, half a jalapeno, cream cheese that is wrapped in bacon, and a cheesy potato casserole.

I completed an 18 hour brine on the pheasant, which is currently resting in the fridge after a quick rinse and pat-dry. 

I'll be posting pictures as I go today. 

Thanks for looking!

Pratt, KS

Comments

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Awesome!!  Looking forward to the finished product.
    Thanks for sharing!

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • MattBTI
    I am debating on whether or not I should spatch the bird. I have a rib rack that I can invert for a roasting rack...what do you guys think, spatch or no spatch?
    Pratt, KS
  • Some good eating there. We used to raise pheasants, initially to train our dogs with, but it doesn't take long to have a whole lot of pheasants, so lots of them were released. That's one happy Lab sitting there.
    Tampa Bay, Florida
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Thought this was going to be a tailgating post ;)
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    MattBTI said:
    I am debating on whether or not I should spatch the bird. I have a rib rack that I can invert for a roasting rack...what do you guys think, spatch or no spatch?
    First though would be to leave it whole......but the more I think about it the more I lean towards spatch.  

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • MattBTI
    Bird is on the egg (but warmer than target @ 250F) with some apple and maple wood. Soaking the dove in a little evoo and allegro. 
    Pratt, KS
  • Nice mix of dogs there one pointer for sure probably the wire hair points and possibly the lab. lots to look forward to for dinner there. Dove and teal are my favorite breasted out like you are doing.  
    XL & waiting for my Mini Max Bloomington MN.
  • MattBTI
    All on the egg. Pheasant is at 133F on the thighs. Getting closer!
    Pratt, KS
  • MattBTI
    Not too shabby. 
    Pratt, KS