Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Awesome Pulled Chuck Roast on the Joetisserie!

Options
I asked about spinning a chuck last week, here.  I was hoping to do a quick cook, but it turns out that isn't an option so today I spun one low and slow.  It was a 2.5 lbs prime chuck roast that I had, which is just big enough for a family of 4.  I'd love to spin a much larger one, but this turned out awesome.  Wife raved about it... which isn't typical for everything I cook on the egg.

Here's a finish pic to start things off;

Okay, was it as good as a perfectly cooked brisket? No. But, considering the challenge of cooking and serving a moist delicate brisket, I'd do this hands down. Seems to be as repeatable as a pork shoulder but with that great beef flavor.  I did this without any wood because the wife doesn't like things too smoky, but it got great flavor from the lump.  So no complaints there.

My intention was to spin this to finish at 250.  Two things changed that plan...  with all the air leaks with the joestisserie on the egg, it's tough to hold 250. So this ended up being more of a 280-300 cook.  2nd, I was getting concerned that it would get too charred on the outside before the internal temp hit 205ish.  So, after 5 hours I pulled it and braised it to finish.

Braise was in a pre-heated 250 degree oven in a pre-heated dutch oven that already had a nice liquid up to temp at well.  Left it in for an hour.  Then let it sit for 20 minutes while I got the rest of the dinner on the table.  The chuck was variable temp when I took it off the egg (one side was 204, the other side was in the 180s) so the braising evened it all out.  I was able to easily just pull it apart with my hands.

Flavor was awesome.  Very tender.  Everybody liked it.  I may do one of these for the holidays.  Seems very low risk. Specially with the post-grill low temp braise that is very forgiving.

I think it'd be good to tie this with some butcher twine.  I didn't have any, so once I saw some pieces flopping around I used some trimmed wooden meat skewers to keep things in place. (you'll see that in the video) Worked just fine, actually.

Here's a video of the spin followed by some cook pics.  Thanks for the tips!

Just on...

Into the pot after 5 hours on the egg;

A little appetizer while the braise was happening.  :)

After a short braise to bring everything up to a pullable temp

LBGE/Maryland

Comments

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    That looks like it came out great!
    NOLA
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    awesome!!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,369
    Options
    I did a chuckie in the crock pot today, it was good, yours looks better. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• Webass
    Webass Posts: 259
    Options
    Saturday I did 3 chucks on the Large for soup and chili.  275 with oak chunks and pulled off at 195 IT.  Vac sealed and 2 in the freezer.  Using the 3rd for a pot of vegetable beef soup tonite.  43 and rain here in E. TN today.  Good soup weather!   

Lenoir City, TN -  Bama fan in Tenn Vol's backyard. 

LBGE, Weber Spirit 

• KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    Webass said:
    Saturday I did 3 chucks on the Large for soup and chili.  275 with oak chunks and pulled off at 195 IT.  Vac sealed and 2 in the freezer.  Using the 3rd for a pot of vegetable beef soup tonite.  43 and rain here in E. TN today.  Good soup weather!   

Can you share some more details on how you use the pre-cooked chucks for future meals?

Do you freeze it whole and then add it to a pot with some stock/veggies for a quick beef stew?

My in-laws buy brisket that is pre-cooked and frozen from their butcher. It’s quite expensive, but for a holiday meal they just throw it in a crock pot with some stock and in a few hours they're putting a delicious tender brisket on the table.  I haven’t tried this myself yet but maybe I can do it with chuck.

LBGE/Maryland
  • Woodchunk
    Options
    We usually smoke 2 at a time and use them later for chili or a stew or crock pot. I smoke them to around 130 to get a nice smoke flavor.and the cooking is finished when we use them

https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1211621/game-day-chili#latest

2 days ago we bought a small brisket and chuckie at Kroger and ground them together for burgers and meat balls.
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Thanks @Woodchunk.  That chili looks awesome.
    That's a good idea to just slow cook it until I get a nice char going, then freeze it for later use.  I mean, if you're going to cook one anyway, might as well put another one on there with it!
    LBGE/Maryland
  • Webass
    Webass Posts: 259
    Options
    KiterTodd said:
    Webass said:

Can you share some more details on how you use the pre-cooked chucks for future meals?

Do you freeze it whole and then add it to a pot with some stock/veggies for a quick beef stew?

My in-laws buy brisket that is pre-cooked and frozen from their butcher. It’s quite expensive, but for a holiday meal they just throw it in a crock pot with some stock and in a few hours they're putting a delicious tender brisket on the table.  I haven’t tried this myself yet but maybe I can do it with chuck.

I use this recipe for vegetable beef soup.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/the-lady-and-sons-beef-vegetable-soup-recipe-1952026 

Since the 3 I did were different sizes, I separated them into equal size, vac sealed and froze.  Since I'm using cooked chuck I use beef broth instead of water and only simmer it for about 45 minutes.  I cube the meat in 1" cubes.  After 45 minutes it'll be close to falling apart.  I also use frozen soup mix vegetables instead of doing all that chopping and  slicing and I use the small elbow macaroni. 

For chili I just start with the cooked chuckie and go from there.  

Lenoir City, TN -  Bama fan in Tenn Vol's backyard. 

LBGE, Weber Spirit