Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sika deer

Options
JohnEggGio
JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
edited November 2018 in EggHead Forum
A buddy from work gave me a hunk of sika deer he harvested 2 weeks ago.  He put it in cryvac a few days after the kill - I opened the cry about 10 days later.  It still smelled sweet and fresh.

Friday afternoon I put in in a brine of apple juice, Worcestershire sauce, and kosher salt.  My buddy didn’t specify the cut, so I was unsure what I had.  

Wife and daughter are out out of town - so tonight was my chance.  I decided to break the “roast” down, following the lines of muscle.  It kinda looked like the butt end of a beef tenderloin - do, I decided to treat the largest pice as if it was.  

Fired up the egg w some cherry chunks.  Got it to a steady 375.

I don’t have much experience w deer, but knowing it’s really lean I went with a bacon wrap.

After a total of maybe 12 minutes - many flips, and a generous rest, it was a very nice medium rare.  

The plate fully loaded - sweet potato casserole, biscuits, baked beans - washed down w generous pour # 3 of JD over ice.

Oh, I hit it w a sauce of blackberry jam, touch of apple cider vinegar, crushed red pepper, and kosher salt - yup - on the money.
Maryland, 1 LBGE

Comments

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,610
    Options
    I have no idea what a sika is, but that looks excellent.
  • DuckDogDr
    DuckDogDr Posts: 1,549
    Options
    Rumor has it...its a good cut of meat 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Very nice!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Nice.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • JohnEggGio
    Options
    Sika is a small deer, native to areas of Eastern Asia.  At some point it was introduced to the lower Eastern Shore of Maryland, where populations are well established.  My buddy said it’s generally more tender, with a beefier flavor than white tail.  He said he typically braises his sika cooks, but knowing I have an egg he gave me a hunk to see what I might do with it.  I’m gonna suggest he put away the Dutch oven and pull out the grill.

I’m gonna pan fry another piece to go with my morning eggs.

Thanks for the comments.
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    You scored a prime cut of meat there. Sika is prime deer. Much better than whitetail. Very similar to Axis in flavor. 

Looks awesome. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Tluke63
    Options
    it tastes better because it's actually part of the elk family
    Tim, Maryland Meat Masters, LBGE, Queenstown, MD
  • JohnEggGio
    Options
    Made a nice breakfast, too.  Sorry about the messy plate.  Last minute I realized I needed to warm my biscuit - took my eye off the ball...
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • JohnEggGio
    Options
    Just talked with my buddy who gave me the meat - he said it was a hunk from the rump.  Can’t believe how tender it was.  His daughter shot another over the weekend - he’s bringing me some backstrap tomorrow! 😊
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    That looks fantastic, and you nailed the cook.  It looks and sounds scrumptious!! 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • That is a fantastic meal you prepared. 
    Living life to the fullest in Savannah Georgia
  • Matt86m
    Matt86m Posts: 471
    Options
    Spot on! Love cooking game meat. Anything more than medium rare is a travesty! 
    XL aka Senior, Mini Max aka Junior, Weber Q's, Blackstone 22, Lion built in, RecTec Mini 300, Lodge Hibachi, Uuni, wife says I have too many grills,,,,how many shoes do you have?

IG -->  matt_86m
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Sounds like the kind of friend you need to keep happy.  Sika is really good stuff.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • JohnEggGio
    Options
    He said he only hunts sika, eats everything he kills, and doesn’t want to freeze any - so...looks like he’s gonna need some help...
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    He said he only hunts sika, eats everything he kills, and doesn’t want to freeze any - so...looks like he’s gonna need some help...
    I do the same - only pertaining to fishing. Usually only a “problem” when going for the big boys. Rarely do I come home with more flounder or sea bass than I can eat. If we get into them thick, some get to swim another day. However, when we get into a school of tuna, dolphin or catch a larger swordfish and I bring back a cooler or three of meat,  a lot of my friends eat really, really well. 
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • JohnEggGio
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:
    I do the same - only pertaining to fishing. Usually only a “problem” when going for the big boys. Rarely do I come home with more flounder or sea bass than I can eat. If we get into them thick, some get to swim another day. However, when we get into a school of tuna, dolphin or catch a larger swordfish and I bring back a cooler or three of meat,  a lot of my friends eat really, really well. 
    Are you anywhere near Maryland, buddy?
    Maryland, 1 LBGE