Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chuck Roast on the joetisserie, how would you do it?

Options
KiterTodd
KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
edited November 2018 in EggHead Forum
Bought a 2.5 lbs chuck roast to turn on the rotisserie this week.  I'd like to cook it start to finish on the egg, without removing to braise or wrap.

How would you do it? Time, temp and pulling at what meat temp?

I did a "turbo" one last week.  I spun it at 350 for an hour (with too much cherry smoke) and then braised it in the oven for another hour at the same temp.  I sliced it thin and it tasted as you would expect.  Smokey, flavorful, little tough, and the braising liquid was excellent.  It was good, but not that tender poor man's brisket consistency I was going for.

So, this time I want to take my time and I'm hoping to end up with more of a pulled beef result.
LBGE/Maryland

Comments

• KiterTodd
    Options
    This how my turbo version turned out...  

order below was the phone’s choice;  😀

-After braise, before braise, after hour on egg, sliced!

LBGE/Maryland
  • KiterTodd
    Options
    So, think i should pull when the meat hits 200 if I’m going for a low and slow pulled beef kind of thing? Or much earlier?
    LBGE/Maryland
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    KiterTodd said:
    So, think i should pull when the meat hits 200 if I’m going for a low and slow pulled beef kind of thing? Or much earlier?
    I've found chuck doesn't pull well until about 206.  The problem with doing that without a braise is that you are going to expose the exterior to enough heat to scorch it before the whole thing is pullable.  Maybe on the rotisserie it will be different, IDK.
    NOLA
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,758
    Options
    Looks Might Juicy !
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    Its not done until pull temp, and at pull temp the joetisserie will just start ejecting pieces of meat.  But I’ve never tried it, so this is speculation and likely a wrong assumption.  
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    I don't have a rotisserie, so the closest comparison I can offer is that I went raised direct with a couple of chuck roasts.  I just cooked until tender and pullable - definitely over 200 degrees.  The only real problem I had was that all of the rendering fat hitting the coals made a HUGE amount of not-too-pleasant smoke.  I was doing 3 at a time though so hopefully spinning one will be better.  keep us posted.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    usually takes me to over 210 for pulled beef and looking at maybe 10 to 12 hours at 230 dome temp and i start with a piece 3 to 4 times bigger. not sure if rotisserie is the way to go for a pull.  other option is faux prime rib starting in a suosvide
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 566
    Options
    put in a shallow pan on a rack and do like pork but    It is alsways good
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • KiterTodd
    Options
    blind99 said:
    I don't have a rotisserie, so the closest comparison I can offer is that I went raised direct with a couple of chuck roasts.  I just cooked until tender and pullable - definitely over 200 degrees.  The only real problem I had was that all of the rendering fat hitting the coals made a HUGE amount of not-too-pleasant smoke.  I was doing 3 at a time though so hopefully spinning one will be better.  keep us posted.
    Thanks. In the end (even if I can't pull it) I was trying to use the rotisserie until I got a flavorful tender result. As I mentioned, when I did it at 350 it was tougher than I would have liked.  I'll have to experiment. Sounds like a braise may still be required...
    buzd504 said:
    KiterTodd said:
    I've found chuck doesn't pull well until about 206.  The problem with doing that without a braise is that you are going to expose the exterior to enough heat to scorch it before the whole thing is pullable.  Maybe on the rotisserie it will be different, IDK.
    Hmm, okay, that's good info.  So, sounds like I still have to do a braise regardless.  That's okay.  I'll still cook low and slow on the egg for as long as I can...

If I'm spinning it at 250, when would you yank it to put it in a dutch oven?
    LBGE/Maryland
  • KiterTodd
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    Looks Might Juicy !
    It was, but not super tender. I sliced it then and it was far better than most restaurant roast beef... still tough though.  Couldn't have eaten it easily if I didn't slice it thin against the grain.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    Options
    A chuck roast done sous vide for a day or two is a wonderful thing itself. However, might try doing that to a low temp then putting it on the roti for an hour or two to crisp up the exterior a bit.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• KiterTodd
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    A chuck roast done sous vide for a day or two is a wonderful thing itself. However, might try doing that to a low temp then putting it on the roti for an hour or two to crisp up the exterior a bit.
    Thanks, don't have one, though.

I was really just looking for an excuse to turn some beef on the rotisserie.
    It sounds like Chuck is troublesome, though, and requires more time and effort to tenderize.

Would I be better with an eye round, top round or london broil on here?

I know a tenderloin would come out fine, but was looking for a way to make lower priced cuts better using the spinner.
    LBGE/Maryland