Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

700 Degree Jerk Chicken

This was an experimental cooking technique for me, inspired by my love of Tandoori chicken. Surprisingly I wasn't able to find anything on this forum on high heat chicken cooking, so I thought I would share the recipe. This turned out to be some of the most flavorful, crispy, and moist chicken I have ever had.

Ingredients:
1.) 3lbs chicken parts of your choice (I used whole legs)
2.) 8oz of your favorite jerk marinade, your own or prepared (I used Secret Aardvark Drunken Jerk)

I'm normally all about making my own sauces and marinades but Secret Aardvark Drunken Jerk is one of my favorite, local sauces and it was perfect for this recipe.

Place the chicken parts in a bag and add your jerk marinade. Seal the bag and place it in the refrigerator for 24 to 48 hours, turning every 6 to 12 hours.

When you're ready to cook, unbag your chicken and place it in a dish. Light your egg at this time.

With your egg set up for direct cooking and with the grilling grate in place, let the temperature come up to a temperature of at least 700 degrees Fahrenheit (lower air intake fully open and chimney fully open). I let mine get to 800 to 900 degrees Fahrenheit since I know there will be some cooling once I lift the lid and place the chicken on the grate. Once up to temperature you're ready to place your chicken on! Make sure to burp the egg a couple of times before opening the lid all the way, then place your chicken on the grate.

Close the lid and let the temp come back up to 700 degrees. Allow the chicken to sear 2 to 3 minutes, burp the egg, open the lid, and turn the chicken over. Rotate the chicken as necessary on the grill to adjust for hot spots. Allow the chicken to sear for another 2 to 3 minutes at 700 degrees (or hotter). At this point your chicken should be nicely blackened but not burnt, but you may have to flip and/or rotate some pieces a couple more times to get the desired level of crispy on your skin.

Once the chicken is blackened and crispy to your liking, place the convEGGtor or other indirect cooking stone in (I use a rig from the Ceramic Grill Store to simplify this step, allowing me to leave the grill and chicken in place while I slide the stone in). Bring the egg back to 700 degrees and continue cooking until the internal temp of your chicken is 155F - 165F, approximately another 10 min. Don't overcook your chicken! Remember that it will continue cooking and rise another 5 to 10 degrees after removed from the fire.

Serve with your favorite sides and a cocktail. We made a delicious cilantro & lime Basmati rice.

Comments