Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ot visiting philly

Options
Any must see places and places to eat. Thanks for the help. 

Comments

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Depending on where you are, keep the windows rolled up. Nice city, but it’s got its underbelly. 
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Check out Readings Terminal Market- DiNic’s roast pork sandwich is amazing. 

Been a few years since I was there but Butcher and Singer was a great steakhouse. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Depending on where you are, keep the windows rolled up. Nice city, but it’s got its underbelly. 
    The underbelly is where the best cheese steaks are found though.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    Have heard it's always sunny there.
    Stillwater, MN
  • FlyOverCountry
    Options
    I’ve heard about that!

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    How long will you be there? Staying just in the city, or do you want to venture out?
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • tqracer53
    Options
    We will be going to a coast guard graduation Friday morning in cape May then heading to philly to stay fri and sat. 
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    DiNicks in the Reading terminal is great if you can get there early and get the roast pork with the broccoli rabe and a long hot. Winner. Then just walk around the market. 

See independence mall - birthplace of our government and real men made real decisions and real change. Across the street see the liberty bell in the Constitution center. If you want to see the main sites get on the phlash for $5 (all day ticket)
    https://www.visitphilly.com/features/philadelphia-phlash-downtown-loop/

Then you can see the Betsy Ross house - where our flag was first made, Ben Franklins grave, you can run up the art museum steps like Rocky and see some other hot spots. 

If you go to the Italian market, make sure you stop and DiBruno brothers for an incredible cheese selection. You can not miss it. If there in the evening, Ralphs ( 700 south 9th street) and get the “mussels in Red” but bring cash they do not take credit.

Personally, I would skip Pat’s and Gino’s for a cheesesteak. They are not worth the time, wait, or money. But they are an institution - I get that. 

Get a real pretzel. 

In in Cape May, there is not much to do, especially this time of the year. If you are looking for something to do, Washington street. It is just the thing to do there, but it is all just tourist shops. If you want to see where real commercial fishermen shop, go to to “Sea gear” just over the bridge going into Cape May. Take the first right after going over the bridge. If you get to the Lobster house, you went too far. Downstairs is the commercial fishing stuff. Upstairs is a retail shop. Need waterproof gear? This is the place to get it. They have all kinds, weights, and thicknesses. Prices are reasonable as well. 
    Dock Mikes for breakfast. A bit expensive, but that is where we go when we are not eating on the boat. The apple strudel stuffed French toast is off the charts. 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,193
    Options
    I hear they’ve got a nice Sheetz
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited October 2018
    Options
    For you locals, is it true that John's Roast Pork and Tony Lukes (original location) are great for cheesesteak, and even better for their roast pork sandwiches? That's what I've read anyway. I haven't been to Philly since the 70's and the only place I remember was Arthur's Steak House on Walnut St downtown... closed years ago.

I hate large cities. If it were me, I'd stay in Cape May. =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    I was born in Philly and left as a ute in 1972. 
    Went back this past May for a family reunion.

The Texas contingent was about 14 strong and on our first night we did a Pat's v. Gino's face off and it was a blast!

Yes, it a tourist trap but we WERE tourists! We really enjoyed the neighborhood vibe and had fun comparing the two. Most in out party were not concerned with is this the "best" cheesesteak? 

after, we hit a biker bar in the area for some really nasty cocktails but great peoper watching.

So, YMMV.

Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,494
    edited October 2018
    Options
    What's-her-name was flown to Phillie for a week-long negotiation for her first book, and Lippincott Publishing also paid for me to tag along!  
    While she was in meetings I got to walk the streets of downtown Phillie during the day, and they wined-n-dined us in the evenings.  Standouts in my memory were The Striped Bass, excellent seafood restaurant where I had the single best aged port I've ever had, and Dos Chiminea (since you're a foodie, ask to meet the chef and go downstairs to see his cookbook collection!)  
    Was also cool to walk the old neighborhoods, brick-laid streets and two-story homes with downward-facing mirrors by the upstairs windows, so the owners could see who was knocking on their door.  
    Have fun!

EDIT:  Forgot, we also spent an evening in an old bar where, supposedly, the Founding Fathers often met in the evenings, and we were served a flight of beers that they had brewed in the old days; cool!     

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• tqracer53
    Options
    Sounds like some cool stuff to check out thanks for the info. 
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Lots to see and do.  
    DiNicks in the Reading terminal is great. 

Agree.  There are some other interesting vendors in the terminal as well.

is it true that John's Roast Pork and Tony Lukes (original location) are great for cheesesteak, and even better for their roast pork sandwiches? 

I really like Tony Lukes.  John's Roast Pork makes better cheesesteak than roast pork.  Either is better than the Pat’s and Gino’s show.

Personally, I would skip Pat’s and Gino’s for a cheesesteak. They are not worth the time, wait, or money. But they are an institution - I get that.

Its a scene worth seeing once. For a meal, I prefer DiNicks, Tony Lukes, or John's.  There are also other less famous shops scattered around the city. Some are very good and some are ok.  They tend to have loyal local followings and if you are with a local you trust, then their recommendation is worth heeding.

By far the best thing going down on 9th street (Italian Market) is the Rim Cafe. It is a block north of Pat's and Gino's.  Best hot chocolate and coffee drinks around.

Sugar Philly Truck - macaroons normally located on 38th st., between Chestnut and Walnut (west side of Penn near Wharton School of Business on Thurs and Fri).  They now have a storefront in Manayunk.

Big craft show starts this week at the convention center (next to the Reading Terminal).  There are a number of great art museums along the Parkway. Lots of US history to explore concentrated around the Independence Mall .

Monk's Cafe is good.  I also really like Yards Brewing (take a couple cases home with you).
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Kupkaked
    Kupkaked Posts: 33
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Philly native, got some incite for some of my faves..

Food: (Roast Pork, Cheesesteaks, Hoagies, Fine dine)
    DiNic's Roast Pork - Reading Terminal Market, the best in the city
    Tony Luke's - South Philly, under 95, for a good cheesesteak. 
    Paesano's - Northern Libs' Hoagie joint, EVERYTHING is delicious. 
    Garces / Starr (fine dining) - Big fan of Amada, and Village Whiskey by Garces. Starr and Vetri have great options as well.  
    Good Dog - Center City, Blue cheese stuffed burgers, hand cut fries. Enough' said. 

Sights:
    Independence Mall / Liberty Bell - pretty obvious
    OIde City - just walk around, see sights, eat drink
    Italian Market - classic south philly, just see sights
    Reading Terminal Market - Dinics, Bassets Ice Cream, Amish cinnamon rolls, etc.

Museums/Art:
    Barnes - The most impressive collection of paintings in existence. No Joke.
    Franklin Institute/Art Museum - See if they have an exhibit you may like.
    Mutter museum - odd ball but historic medical museum, not for everyone. 

Haddon Township, NJ
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    edited October 2018
    Options
    For restaurants, check out Craig LaBan's new dining guide in the Philly Inquirer; the restaurant scene is fantastic and varied in cuisine and price point. (Striped Bass is long gone.) in the Italian Market, skip Ralph's and hit Villa Del Roma next to DiBruno's for the best old school Italian-American. If you are into Mexican, Blue Corn next door is fantastic. Down 9th St. is Philly Barbacoa, a lamb taco place of national renown. Another block down, Mole Poblano serves sublime tamales. Chinatown has many great places.

Absolutely do not miss the Reading Terminal and DiNic's pork and broccoli rabe sandwiches. And yes to John's for the best cheesesteak.

I'll plug the Constitution Center. Hard to believe they can make the constitution that interesting. Skip the Betsy Ross House; no real evidence exists that she actually made the first flag. Look at the Liberty Bell through the windows but do take the Independence Hall tour. Also do the Todd House/Bishop White House tour to see how the upper and middle classes lived in the 1700s. You get tickets for the tours at the visitors' center on Independence Mall. Check out web info before going. The Revolution Museum is great even if you aren’t that into the history. The tours are free but the museums charge. 

if you have time, head to Rittenhouse Square to see what has been called the most egalitarian public space in the country. Good shopping near there. If you need lunch, Parc on the square is fantastic if not a bit pricey. Walk around the neighborhood a bit to the south; the huge houses, dating to the early 1800s, represent the “Philly rowhouse” at its finest.

Philly is a wonderful, walkable, friendly city. I hope you enjoy it.

(And the craft show another poster mentioned is one of the best in the country. It’s at the convention center, right across from the Reading Terminal.)
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • Kupkaked
    Options
    Big fan of Parc, great suggestion with Rittenhouse. Also, I haven't been to Villa Di Roma in a minute, need that fried asparagus in my life! 
    Haddon Township, NJ
  • tqracer53
    Options
    Got to DiNic’s was really disappointed in the pork sandwich the cheese was really good. Wife wanted to see zoo it was real nice. Went to eastern state Penitentiary it was cool. Yards was our best meal while here.