Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

15lb Turkey

Options
So...suppose my friend had a 15lb turkey, brined for 12hrs and cooked indirect at 325ish.  How long would it take for the bird to be cooked?

Thanks
The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.

Comments

• Stubby
    Stubby Posts: 134
    Options
    I did a caged breast of Turkey about 8lbs. Cooked it at 300ish took about 5hrs. I went by breast temperature of 165. Hope that helps. 
    XL.......for now

Kernersville, NC
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,482
    Options
    Given the cook-times seem to vary quite a bit, here's thread from last year (post Thanksgiving) for some insights:

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    I would like to smoke a 14 lb turkey as an adjunct to the big bird in the oven. We will be taking the bird to Louisville about an hour away but won’t eat until probably 4-5 hours after leaving our house. Not expecting hot bird but would like to serve it somewhat warm. Any advice on packaging and holding would be greatly appreciated. Usually not able to use the oven so reheating is probably not possible. Thanks. 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,675
    Options
    Suggest getting heat up to 400/425
    Spatchcocked Turkey and Chicken on the Big Green Egg
    (you cut out the backbone and cook opened)
    I like a 11/12 lb bird. If I need lots of turkey I just cook a couple ( 1 & 1/2  hr cook app)
    Chicken 3 to 3.75lb bird or birds. Under an hour cook. 
    Or, just add a package of legs extra. 
    I do not brine the turkey or Chicken. 
    If time I like to leave uncovered in the fridge overnight (no problem if no time) 
    I cook "direct" @ 400/425 on a raised grill "skin side up" and never turn over.
    I will use a coffee rub. Use what you like.
    NOTE PLEASE (A LOT OF SMOKE IS NOT YOU FRIEND)
    I use about a single handfull of mixed chips: Cherry & Pecan. 
    Cook Turkey to temp (not time) breast @ 155/160 and thigh @ 165.
    Cook Chicken to temp breast 160.
    Rest both 10 mins.

Coffee Rub (turkey, chicken, beef & pork)
    Equal part: Instant Expresso Ground coffee..
    Equal part: Brown Sugar..
    ½ part: Black Pepper..
    ½ part: Kosher Salt..
    ½ part: Garlic Powder..
    ¾ part: Ancho Chili Powder..
    NOTE: I just start with a small jar of the Instant Expresso Ground coffee and use the jar for all measurements. 
    Don't worry on exact, just close on measurement. I used to use turbinado sugar but we like with brown better. This is pulled from MollyShark, Hungry Man, & Richard In Fl then tweaked. I find the ancho chili powder is far less expensive in the bulk spice area than the bottled area ( have used both light or dark version). I make it starting with a half cup Instant Expresso Ground coffee and work from there as it seems to store well if sealed.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Stubby
    Stubby Posts: 134
    edited October 2018
    Options
    GrillSgt said:
    I would like to smoke a 14 lb turkey as an adjunct to the big bird in the oven. We will be taking the bird to Louisville about an hour away but won’t eat until probably 4-5 hours after leaving our house. Not expecting hot bird but would like to serve it somewhat warm. Any advice on packaging and holding would be greatly appreciated. Usually not able to use the oven so reheating is probably not possible. Thanks. 
    I used an insulating cooler, more specifically yeti, for a pork butt 8lb and it was wrapped in foil and I threw in a lot of towels too. It was in there for 5hrs and came out steaming . I was going to do the same for Thanksgiving Turkey but alas I can't get off work. The only thing I can say is watch the width of the interior they tend to be on the small side. 
    XL.......for now

Kernersville, NC
  • RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Given the cook-times seem to vary quite a bit, here's thread from last year (post Thanksgiving) for some insights:

Thanks for the valuable info....much appreciated

The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Mickey said:
    Suggest getting heat up to 400/425
    Spatchcocked Turkey and Chicken on the Big Green Egg
    (you cut out the backbone and cook opened)
    I like a 11/12 lb bird. If I need lots of turkey I just cook a couple ( 1 & 1/2  hr cook app)
    Chicken 3 to 3.75lb bird or birds. Under an hour cook. 
    Or, just add a package of legs extra. 
    I do not brine the turkey or Chicken. 
    If time I like to leave uncovered in the fridge overnight (no problem if no time) 
    I cook "direct" @ 400/425 on a raised grill "skin side up" and never turn over.
    I will use a coffee rub. Use what you like.
    NOTE PLEASE (A LOT OF SMOKE IS NOT YOU FRIEND)
    I use about a single handfull of mixed chips: Cherry & Pecan. 
    Cook Turkey to temp (not time) breast @ 155/160 and thigh @ 165.
    Cook Chicken to temp breast 160.
    Rest both 10 mins.

Coffee Rub (turkey, chicken, beef & pork)
    Equal part: Instant Expresso Ground coffee..
    Equal part: Brown Sugar..
    ½ part: Black Pepper..
    ½ part: Kosher Salt..
    ½ part: Garlic Powder..
    ¾ part: Ancho Chili Powder..
    NOTE: I just start with a small jar of the Instant Expresso Ground coffee and use the jar for all measurements. 
    Don't worry on exact, just close on measurement. I used to use turbinado sugar but we like with brown better. This is pulled from MollyShark, Hungry Man, & Richard In Fl then tweaked. I find the ancho chili powder is far less expensive in the bulk spice area than the bottled area ( have used both light or dark version). I make it starting with a half cup Instant Expresso Ground coffee and work from there as it seems to store well if sealed.

Mickey,
    Your reference to "( have used both light or dark version)"...is this about the brown sugar?
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,818
    Options
    i do 15/16 pounders at 325/350 dome routinely.  shallow pan 2.5 hours, deep pan up to 4 hours. the pan size and depth plus liquid or not in the pan change things up big time
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    At 300 grate, mine are usually done in 3.5 hours, much less time than you think. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • 1911Man
    1911Man Posts: 366
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I did a 13# turkey on my egg Saturday. Goal was to go at 325F, and I got there for most of the cook (once it got back up to temp after adding the convEGGtor and the bird). Had one flare-up but got it under control (even with a pan under it). Was done in about 4-1/2 hours IIRC.
    I'll keep using the remote probe thermometer to judge when it's done (as I'm sure a lot do here). Especially since this bird didn't come with a popper. Pulled it when the thickest section of the breast hit 165F.
    I also used some flavor wood chunks which made it come out great. Four chunks at the start and another two at about 3/4 of the way through.
    I'll be doing another turkey to take on Thanksgiving. :) Might get ambitious and get up at oh-hell-early and do it that day.
    Large BGE with CGS Woo Ring, stone with stainless pan, Smokeware chimney cap, Kick Ash basket and Kick Ash can.
    Living free in the 603 (Pelham).
  • GrillSgt
    Options
    Question, why in a pan?
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    GrillSgt said:
    Question, why in a pan?
    Why not if roasting?
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • GrillSgt
    Options
    Not sure, do you cook a whole chicken in a pan also? I’ve never done a whole turkey on the egg, that’s why I’m asking. 
  • vegas slim
    Options
    what and how much smoking wood? cherry??
  • unoriginalusername
    unoriginalusername Posts: 1,065
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Spatchcock and it’s a 2.5 - 3 hour cook at 325

use way less wood than I used to and have been getting great results 

here is my second bird from a few weeks back 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,482
    Options
    If you want the mahogany color, cherry smoke wood is the way to get it.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    GrillSgt said:
    Question, why in a pan?
    makes catching the drippings for gravy easier ;) i know not everyone wants gravy but i prefer it to the actual turkey.  side note: when i want a bbq smoked turkey for sandwiches with bbq sauce i just low and slow the whole thing direct, tday turkey gets roasted with a pan and im shooting for a few quarts of gravy
    fukahwee maine

• GrillSgt
    Options
    OK thanks. I won’t need the drippings as I make gravy from turkey parts. This turkey was to be a supplement to the 24lber. In the past a SIL has deep fryed the extra turkey but I want to smoke one this year. Drip pan, dry brine, raised indirect with cherry wood. 250ish. I’m good to go unless someone has any other suggestions. 
  • fishlessman
    Options
    GrillSgt said:
    OK thanks. I won’t need the drippings as I make gravy from turkey parts. This turkey was to be a supplement to the 24lber. In the past a SIL has deep fryed the extra turkey but I want to smoke one this year. Drip pan, dry brine, raised indirect with cherry wood. 250ish. I’m good to go unless someone has any other suggestions. 
    ive cooked many hundreds of birds low and slow and roasted.  the skin is junk on a low and slow indirect. doesnt mean the flavor of the bird is off, but you can up the flavor with herbs under the skin mixed with butter, ground bacon, or duck fat.
    or you can do this but its not my idea of a tday roasted bird but neither is fried

my preference for tday is the madmax method on the egg and the dangerous family tradition of a stuffed bird out of the oven, always do two

fukahwee maine