Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First hickory smoked pulled pork ... definitely won't be the last ...

Stormbringer
Stormbringer Posts: 2,007
edited October 2018 in Pork
I've had some great advice from this forum, it's upped my Egging game (or more realistically just got me into the right ball park) no end. One of the most salient pearls of wisdom I recall was in a thread about whether brisket was worth chasing, with more than one person saying to get some practice, and a feel for the task, cook a pork butt (or shoulder, on my side of the Atlantic). So after owning an Egg for more than two years, I broke my pulled pork cherry and smoked a pork shoulder over hickory.

Wow. All I can say is that the Egg should come with a mandatory instruction to do this within the first month. Amazing pork, lovely balance of hickory and a couple of Dizzy Pig rubs. I did the Texas Crutch, but unwrapped at 185F IT to let the bark crisp. Full details in the post below:

https://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk/2018/10/26/hickory-smoked-pulled-pork/

In the Egg, ready to get going:

At the stall, just before wrapping:

Unwrapped at 185F IT:

Ready to shred:

Shredded:

Served in a brioche bun with BBQ sauce and coleslaw:

Leftovers being heated up with some cheese and served in a bun:

Thanks for looking!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
| Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
| My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Bravo! I’ve said it many times, no single cook has sold more BGE’s than pork butt. So simple and so delicious. 

Since you are familiar with the Texas crutch, I would proceed with a packer brisket. I would
    employ the crutch with my first one for sure. Just gives you a wider window for success. 

Enjoy!
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164

Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Dmb3739
    Dmb3739 Posts: 62
    Looks delicious!. Nice job
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Nothing better. Can't believe you made it 2 years without trying but better late than never! Great write up as well. Thanks for sharing! 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • You nailed it.. I agree the butts sale the egg... your pics are great as well....
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    edited October 2018
    Great looking meal.  The buns look great, I say that because I seem to have a hard time finding good ones for pulled pork around here.  I like your blog also.

Will steal your idea for leftovers also  :):)
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • 3 things:

1. Great looking food, well done!
    2. Some of the better pictures I have seen on the forum and a while.
    3. Your username takes me back to reading the Elric series of books =)

Cheers,
    Chris
    St. Louis, MO
    Unit 1: LBGE, cedar table Unit 2:Akorn
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    Nice work. I feel like hickory gets a bad rap. It’s very effective when used properly. 
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,676
    A nice butt can sell just about anything.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Nice work! Can't believe it took you this long. =) And great photography (as always!).

I'm curious, where did you get hickory? I didn't think it was native to the UK, or Europe, for that matter. It's my favorite smoke wood for butts though. Oak is good too. And that, I know you DO have.

You should try some Eastern North Carolina vinegar sauce next time. On pork, I much prefer it over the thicker, sweet sauces. And try it with the slaw on the sandwich. Here's the Elder Ward sauce recipe from the Naked Whiz blog if you're interested...
    • 1 C white vinegar
    • 1 C cider vinegar
    • 1 Tbs. sugar
    • 1 Tbs. cayenne pepper 
    • 1 Tbs. Tabasco sauce
    • 1 tsp. kosher salt
    • 1 tsp. cracked black pepper
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/elder.htm

I've never tried it with cheese. Might have to give that a shot. Yours looks mighty fine!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Wish i would of seen this before i started my cook today. I would of tried this
    Jacksonville, FL
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Did you wrap with aluminum foil or butcher paper? 
  • Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,007
    edited October 2018
    Thanks folks, still can't it's taken me this long but now it's done. 

@pgprescott next up will be brisket.

@EggNorth we've still got leftovers, I see a pulled pork pizza on the horizon.  

@ChrisgrillsSTLMO I'm a big fan of the Moorcock multi-verse, and have virtually all of his books. So no prizes for guessing where the moniker came from. :D 

@Carolina Q I got the hickory from Amazon in the UK, maybe they imported it. The sauce you linked sounds great, I'll give that a try.

@Tspud1 aluminium foil. Would butcher paper have been better?
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk