Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grilled chicken tonight. Still pink 188 degrees

Options
I grilled chicken tonight legs and thighs. Internal temp was 188. Still was pink. I ate it and it was wonderful. My wife would not eat. She was afraid. How does other peoples chicken turn out. She thinks something is wrong. Any explanations here would be great. Thanks.

Comments

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,296
    Options
    I have had that happen with Turkey. I just told people that it was smoked. If the temp is right, it’s safe .
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Could also be spilled bone marrow 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Sometimes the red from marrow can discolor the meat.  This is from chickens that grow too fast typically.  

You have a picture?  Is it in the middle or on the outside?  Outside would be smoke penetration.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Are you fairly confident your thermometer is accurate?
    First time this has happened I wouldn’t worry about it and blame it on the bird as others have said.
    Next time just cook a couple pieces up to 200 degrees for your wife. If by chance it’s still pink you have done all you can do.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Education starts at home. Try to explain that the chicken is indeed “done”. If that doesn’t work, cook to temp, and she can microwave a few pieces to whatever temp or color she prefers. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    I get quite a pink smoke ring effect on chicken sometimes. My last roast bird looked undercooked but wasn't.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,336
    Options
    As above, thermo calibrated?? And the key-was the pink on the inside or around the outside?  Outside is from the smoke process which is what I would expect given your temp is accurate.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Yno
    Yno Posts: 529
    Options
    I have had this argument with my wife many times. She now knows better. Now that chickens are bred to grow faster and reach market weight sooner, this has become somewhat of a common issue. But I believe Meathead Goldwyn and his research:

https://tinyurl.com/y84sr3to

You can try this on your wife - it may or may not work.
    XL BGE in San Jose, CA. Also a Pit Barrel Cooker, a Cal Flame P4 gasser, and lots of toys including the first ever Flame Boss 300 in the wild. And a new Flame Boss 500.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,741
    Options
    like has been said, its these fast growing birds.  at 188 its way done.  when you bite into under cooked chicken you know it immediately
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,336
    Options
    I agree with the bone marrow, young chicken theory. You'd know if it was raw
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    I'd still toss it even if the temp was 188.   Chicken is cheap enough that tossing it is worth not wondering if you might get sick for 24 hrs - even if it's perfectly fine. 
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Not to worry. The poultry I have cooked on the Egg always results in pink color whether I use wood chunks or not.
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,741
    Options
    the purple marrow in the thin boned fast grown chickens turns the meat pink
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    If you used mesquite, it will turn the chicken pink on the inside....possiable explanation.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • unoriginalusername
    Options
    Pink from smoke maybe. It was done and plenty safe. Temp is temp is temp. Period. 
    lol agree. Such an argument with my family when I served “pink” smoked turkey at thanksgiving 

eventually once people ate it they loved it. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    GoooDawgs said:
    I'd still toss it even if the temp was 188.   Chicken is cheap enough that tossing it is worth not wondering if you might get sick for 24 hrs - even if it's perfectly fine. 
    As @pgeprescott said, temp is temp. 

If you're tossing chix cooked to 165F or higher, then you're burning $$. Breast is good at 150F or higher. You won't get sick. 

Keeping the peace at home with SWMBO is an entirely different matter. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Options
    caliking said:
    Education starts at home. Try to explain that the chicken is indeed “done”. If that doesn’t work, cook to temp, and she can microwave a few pieces to whatever temp or color she prefers. 
    and if that doesn't work trade her in for a new model
    Boom
  • golfguyjosh
    Options
    I have this same issue with my turkey and some full roast chickens. I always say fine more for me lol but yes i have noticed if i am not getting my meat from my butcher then i am noticing more pink deeper in the meat (near bones) 
    Jacksonville, FL
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    ...Internal temp was 188. Still was pink. ...My wife would not eat. She was afraid. ... She thinks something is wrong. Any explanations here would be great...
    Back in the days before quality accurate thermometers were available to the home cook people learned to judge doneness of chicken by sight.  It is really hard to unlearn food safety and proper ways to cook. It is perfectly safe to eat as longer as temp is reached no matter what the color is.  It will be hard for many people to get past this. Under done chicken and pork were things to be avoided and current safety standards are hard for many to accept.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    Lots of good advice and info.

One more thing to think about - make sure that you haven't got the temp probe touching or penetrating the bone as the readings won't be accurate. Still at 188 you should be good.

Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group