Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Big brisket on Thursday

Options
So, on Thursday, I need to be ready to serve a 21.5 pound prime Costco brisket for a wedding rehearsal dinner. We eat at 7 pm.  I was thinking of putting it on at about 260 at 5 am.  That leaves me 13 hrs to cook and one in the cooler. Sound reasonable?

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

(in the extreme western panhandle of NE)

Comments

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options

PS - I'll be in your neighborhood duck hunting on Saturday - set enough aside for a sammich, would ya?   =)
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,399
    Options
    If running around 260-280*F on the calibrated dome I figure about an hour/lb.  As noted by @Spaightlabs the goal is to get inside the FTC window which is easily 4-5 hours and can be more.  If you are 21.5 lbs pre-trim you will likely lose at least 2 lbs to trimming.  So figure around 19 lbs of protein to cook.   Work from there.  If you are getting pressed for time you can foil (texas crutch) and/or dial the temp up into the low 300's to punch it home. 
    Now the disclaimer  "The friggin cow drives the cook."  I have had them run around 0.7 hrs/lb at that dome temp and as long as around 1.3 hrs/lb.  So have at it and enjoy the cook.
    BTW-make sure you have a good-sized air gapped drip pan to catch the renderings and foil protect any protein that is outside your heat deflector.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    And 1 hour in the cooler isn't nearly enough, especially for a brisket that size.  I would do 2 minimum and 4 would be better.
    NOLA
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Something that worked well for me was cooking overnight and then holding it in the oven. The key is you don't want to overcook it. The lowest setting on my oven is 170 but it runs a little hot. I place a large pan of water on the bottom rack of the oven to act as a heat sink, and put the brisket (wrapped in foil) on the rack just above. As long as your oven stays between 140-170ish you can hold it all day this way. 

I think cooking the same day could work fine as well, but it is definitely nice to have the cook finished and holding rather that worrying all day if it will be done on time. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Well I cooked a 7.5lb Trimmed Prime Costco Packer on Sunday at 250-275 and it took 10 hours. Yes that was 7.5 pounds after trimming, it was 9.5lbs before trimming. So I think you are undercutting yourself bigtime. I would allow at least an hour per pound minimum. So you are looking at basically 19 hours or so of just cooking time as @lousubcap said. As others have said let it sit for at least 2-4 hours. So realistically I would start it almost 24hours in advance.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• littlerascal56
    Options
    I would put it on by 7 pm on Wednesday, and allow the 24 hour window on one that large.  And using a controller would give a big edge to the cook.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    FWIW I don't think estimating based on weight works well for brisket. It is mostly a big flat cut like a giant steak. Often the larger briskets are just longer and wider and may not be much thicker.

I think it is fine to start in advanced, but I would be prepared with a plan for an extended hold in case it the friggin' cow* decides to finish 8 hours early. 

*friggin' cow © @lousubcap 2018, all rights reserved.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• erniemcclain
    Options
    OMG.....it’s done.  On at 9 pm at 5 am it was 200 and just like butter. FTC.  And now we wait.  

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

• GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    8 hours??  Were you cooking that at 375?    Cow drives the cook, but that seems off.   Have you calibrated your dome thermometer recently? 

And we need some pics! 
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • erniemcclain
    Options
    Pics to come. This grill is one our demo grills. The construction company I work for also is a egg dealer. 

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    You were able to cook a 19lb Trimmed Brisket in 8 hours?  I agree with @GoooDawgs you might want to look into that dome therm. That is less than 30min per pound. I've never heard of that ever.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• erniemcclain
    Options

Seperated flat from point.  

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

• erniemcclain
    Options
    Good.  

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    Strong work.   I'd hit that all night long.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX