Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hate my Dealer

Options

Comments

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

It's been my experience that not all BGE dealers are "eggers".  I don't claim to know much, but I'm much better informed than many dealers I've visited.

Find yourself a dealer, who is also an "egghead".  
    Phoenix 
  • Tettletime
    Options

blasting said:

It's been my experience that not all BGE dealers are "eggers". 

This was definitely my problem. The company I bought my egg from mostly sells kitchen appliances. I'm still waiting 2 days later for a response from my email with pics. Once this transaction is done, I'll find my receipt and never do business with them again.

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,688
    edited October 2017
    Options
    yljkt said:

Or do like another kamado company and ship it direct to the customer. I honestly don't understand the warranty process. Last issue I had with a Weber, I contacted and dealt with Weber. The whole thing of going thru where you bought it is ridiculous.  
    Just like when you have a problem with your Ford and you call them in Detroit?  :hang_loose:   Just kidding.

Each company decides how they'll handle warranty claims, and a lot have their dealers handle through distributors.  I don't really see the issue with BGE handling it that way.  If the dealer fails to handle it, BGE will back it up or have the distributor check in.  I don't mind processing warranty claims, shows the customer that I support what I sold them.  Plus, I might already have the part in stock.  I've opened a new BGE and just grabbed the base out of there for a guy.  With a dozen Larges in stock, it's easy to rob parts off of them (then just put the replacement part back in after the warrantied one comes.)  I went and installed it too. 

I don't see anything wrong with how KJ handles it either--but with their model of selling through Costco, Firecraft, and other online methods, they have to do it that way.  Costco isn't going to replace fireboxes, nor go to a customer's house to replace their base if it cracks.
  • SunnylandPatio
    Options
    @lousubcap I'm in the DFW area, I got the egg from Texas Appliance, because back then there actually weren't a ton of choices in Arlington. Now Ace Hardware has them, but they don't like handling warranty issues if they didn't sell the egg, at least at the one by my house. All in all this is why I've waited nearly a year to replace the parts. It's a pain in the butt.

@fishlessman @Eggcelsior thanks for giving me Bruce's name, I'll definitely contact him.
    Sunnyland is in the furniture business so we are setup to handle warranty claims.  As long as you have the paperwork they ask for, we'll gladly file a claim on BGE as we have a person on staff dedicated to warranties and customer service.  
  • g37
    g37 Posts: 450
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I’m sitting in the same boat my dealer isn’t the greatest either.  My base is cracked and I wanna replace it. I asked my dealer and he said I have to pay for the freight/shipping.  I understand that it’s normal for some
    dealers to charge shipping. I assumed my dealer would give me an option of waiting for a base to come in with their normal shipments or pay for shipping and get it quicker. I’m not in a rush  and can wait.  I emailed BGE green and asked if there’s another way to get it to me without paying shipping. They refered me to ACE.  BGE also provide me with an email saying it’s  ok for ACE to warranty it instead of my dealer.  I went to ACE explained my situation and showed them my email and original receipt but the on duty manager said he can’t help me and instructed me to return  tomorrow and speak to another manager. I’m still gonna cook on my egg.  I’m just praying the crack doesn’t get worse.   This is my second warranty claim. This one is super difficult. I’m praying tomorrow’s ACE manager can help me.  
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
  • odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    edited October 2018
    Options
    The dealer you buy from either sucks or goes out of business, or stops selling eggs. The other dealer in town won't process a warranty because they get nothing from it. Then you have to call Bruce.  Maybe Bruce doesn't even respond.  Or some variation of this story.  I've heard it too many times. And that's why all my buddies who eat my food and ask about my green egg, get advised by me to buy a Joe.   Sorry guys but the system is broke. Whether it's the mother ships fault or not doesn't matter. What matters is in some way you might get screwed if you buy an egg, so you shouldn't.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,991
    Options
    odie91 said:
    The dealer you buy from either sucks or goes out of business, or stops selling eggs. The other dealer in town won't process a warranty because they get nothing from it. Then you have to call Bruce.  Maybe Bruce doesn't even respond.  Or some variation of this story.  I've heard it too many times. And that's why all my buddies who eat my food and ask about my green egg, get advised by me to buy a Joe.   Sorry guys but the system is broke. Whether it's the mother ships fault or not doesn't matter. What matters is in some way you might get screwed if you buy an egg, so you shouldn't.
    Sorry about your luck @odie91.

Kind of like waking up next to the bad decision, made at 2 A.M., when the bar was closing. I don't blame the bar or her, nor do I blame the alcohol. 

The blame rests solely upon me.

You seem to be an intelligent guy, based on some of your previous posts, as I recall so you likely know this already.

My nickel's worth of free advice:
    Before investing a lot of money in anything sold as new, that offers a lifetime warranty, investigate.

My luck has been vastly different so far. It is not to say it will remain that way. Likely not, because you can't control business decisions made by others for their personal needs or goals. I am not a personal need or goal at that point. That is just how it goes.

However, I performed the due diligence on all the dealers in and around town (5), based on service, and selected the one that seemed to garner the most praise in handling the lifetime warranty. They had also been in business for a while, and have been a long time dealer. These qualities seemed to be logical and critical points for me in making my decision.

I also feel that I must mention my experience with the BGE mothership on one instance. Due to an unusual circumstance, I called Bruce to advise of a potential problem which may exist. Within minutes, my dealer reached out to me to resolve the issue at hand (an exploding fire grate). I was impressed. That was my first and only call ever, regarding my XL directly to BGE.

Again, sorry for your troubles, and I hope you get them resolved to your satisfaction.

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    Options
    Contact Bruce at BGE, or find a new dealer.
    Contact Bruce at BGE AND find a new dealer for future purchases.
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • Grillin_beers
    Options
    @tjv that is a fine offer.  You give egg dealers a good name.  

I bought my egg in Augusta Ga and after two moves I can’t find the original receipt.  No dealers in my area will help(Spartanburg SC) and BGE hasn’t helped either.  I’m going to buy a KJ when my egg gets unusable.  It’s sad because I love my egg, but other people make quality products now. 
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,237
    edited October 2018
    Options

I bought my egg in Augusta Ga and after two moves I can’t find the original receipt.  No dealers in my area will help(Spartanburg SC) and BGE hasn’t helped either.  I’m going to buy a KJ when my egg gets unusable.  It’s sad because I love my egg, but other people make quality products now. 
    I understand your frustration but how many companies out there offer a lifetime warranty for a $1000 product with no proof of purchase? Not many. Will KJ mail you warranty parts without a proof of purchase? 

I personally think that it speaks volumes about BGE and a part of the dealer network that they’ll work with customers who don’t have a receipt or didn’t register their egg. 
  • odie91
    Options
    yea i'd have to to disagree on that one.   if you can't find your receipt that's on you.   otherwise people would be snatching up used eggs on craigslist.   after all, for every honest person (you), there's probably 10 dishonest people that would abuse the system
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    I did what I think @caliking did and took a photo of my receipt on the day of purchase. I also made sure that my dealer entered in all the receipt info into their system in case the physical receipt gets lost or the photo gets deleted. Any product that I've ever bought that had a lifetime warranty, I make sure that I take the time to document everything needed to take advantage of said warranty. I don't want some horse shite being pulled on me when I'm 78 and needing a warranty replacement.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• ChrisSonn23
    Options
    We handle a bunch of warranty claims. Still think it is absurd that dealers won't do them or give customers a hard time. I've processed many warranties from people who did not buy their Egg from us. I've never had a receipt either and hasn't been an issue. If you treat your customer right, they will be back for more stuff because we all know an EggHead is always looking to add to their arsenal. 
    BGE Dealer and EggHead since 2013. Find our company on Facebook
    Large BGE
    Waterloo, IL
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    We handle a bunch of warranty claims. Still think it is absurd that dealers won't do them or give customers a hard time. I've processed many warranties from people who did not buy their Egg from us. I've never had a receipt either and hasn't been an issue. If you treat your customer right, they will be back for more stuff because we all know an EggHead is always looking to add to their arsenal. 
    Some people give AF and some folks don’t give AF. I wish more were like you. 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,368
    Options

I understand your frustration but how many companies out there offer a lifetime warranty for a $1000 product with no proof of purchase? Not many. Will KJ mail you warranty parts without a proof of purchase? 

I personally think that it speaks volumes about BGE and a part of the dealer network that they’ll work with customers who don’t have a receipt or didn’t register their egg. 
    The owner of KJ has publicly stated that they aren't too hung up on the original owner aspect of the warranty and if something breaks to contact them and they'll work with you to get it fixed.
    Shipping parts for free to a customer strikes me as a bit more convenient for most folks but I can see that if one has a good dealer and can just walk in and then walk out with a replacement part that's pretty nice. It appears tho that is not a universal practice among BGE dealers (even for original/registered owners).
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• unoriginalusername
    Options
    Sales sells the first egg, service sells the second egg. 
    Fixed. Sales sells the first egg, dealer and distributor service issues sell the next Kamado Joe   

Anytime you get BGE they are usually really good. In some cases the dealer service experience is a disservice to the brand 
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    HeavyG said:

The owner of KJ has publicly stated that they aren't too hung up on the original owner aspect of the warranty and if something breaks to contact them and they'll work with you to get it fixed.
    Shipping parts for free to a customer strikes me as a bit more convenient for most folks but I can see that if one has a good dealer and can just walk in and then walk out with a replacement part that's pretty nice. It appears tho that is not a universal practice among BGE dealers (even for original/registered owners).
    From the KJ website:
    "Kamado Joe warrants that all ceramic parts used in this Kamado Joe grill and smoker are free of defects in material and workmanship for as long as the original purchaser owns the grill."

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    odie91 said:
    yea i'd have to to disagree on that one.   if you can't find your receipt that's on you.   otherwise people would be snatching up used eggs on craigslist.   after all, for every honest person (you), there's probably 10 dishonest people that would abuse the system
    If you don't have a receipt, you could have registered it online.  But that option wasn't always there.  At least it will protect you know.  Best thing to scan or take a picture of the receipt and keep it in on google drive.

I don't agree with the original purchaser clause though.  What changes mechanically or structurally when ownership changes.....nothing!  If you're product is that great and you stand behind it, it should matter who owns it or who sells it.  Just like saying the warranty is invalid if you buy it at Sams/Costco.....don't punish the poor guy that bought it, buy them back and snuff out the rouge dealer or distributor that flipped them.
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    For the people that have had such terrible dealer service I'm curious where you live. I just looked up as an example dealers located near where my parents grew up in far East Texas. A town of about 3,000 people. There are 10 Dealers within about 40 miles of there. The closest is about 30 miles away. Granted that's a bit of a drive, it would take about 30-40min. Other than extremely remote locations I don't see why you couldn't go to another dealer if you are having an issue. Not excusing the fact that all the dealers should be willing to help but also, I would think anywhere in the country there is at least 3-5 dealers within an hour or so drive of anyone. Except for maybe remote Montana, Alaska or the like. Hell, I just looked and there are 5 dealers on the Hawaiian Islands. My point is you bought a grill made out of ceramic plates. Its gonna break eventually. That may mean you have to take a bit of a drive. If your original dealer isn't there anymore or is being a jerk find another one 30 minutes drive in the other direction and if you are one of minute few that are 4 hours from a dealer. Then buy a KJ and let them ship you the parts in the mail and see how that works out or buy a Weber.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    odie91 said:
    If you don't have a receipt, you could have registered it online.  But that option wasn't always there.  At least it will protect you know.  Best thing to scan or take a picture of the receipt and keep it in on google drive.

I don't agree with the original purchaser clause though.  What changes mechanically or structurally when ownership changes.....nothing! 
    I agree with this. You don't get a warranty generally when you buy a used car though. Unless you buy it aftermarket. They are just following the same principal. I would like to see them offer warranties available to purchase maybe but knowing BGE it would cost $500.

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,368
    Options
    HeavyG said:

From the KJ website:
    "Kamado Joe warrants that all ceramic parts used in this Kamado Joe grill and smoker are free of defects in material and workmanship for as long as the original purchaser owns the grill."

Yes, I know (as does Bobby Brennan) what the legalese on the KJ website says. I also know what Bobby Brennan has said.
    The legalese on their website does not preclude them from providing replacement parts to owners of secondhand KJ's at their discretion.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• odie91
    Options
    texasbge2018.     sort of disagree with the analogy.    a car company WILL honor the terms of the warranty.  it's just that by the time a used car goes for sale, the warranty has expired.     i'm pretty sure the Kia with its ridiculously long warranty is transferrable to the new owner.
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    odie91 said:

I don't agree with the original purchaser clause though.  What changes mechanically or structurally when ownership changes.....nothing! 
    I agree with this. You don't get a warranty generally when you buy a used car though. Unless you buy it aftermarket. They are just following the same principal. I would like to see them offer warranties available to purchase maybe but knowing BGE it would cost $500.

Sure you do.....manufacturer's warranty is good to 3 yrs / 36K regardless who owns it.  Powertrain, frame, and other warranties last much longer and cover whoever owns it.  The aftermarket warranties are the ones that screw you by charging the $100 or whatever to transfer it to a new owner.
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,678
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I know it's too late in this situation, but before I purchased my egg I inquired about how they handle warrant claims. Their answer largely determined who I bought from. Sometimes you only have one dealer to choose from, but now it seems like eggs are being sold everywhere. I do think that the widespread availability has contributed to the dealers lack of customer support. The eggs have become more of a commodity item. 
    I've always been more focused on buying from a committed dealer, rather than letting price alone make me make a decision that will have long term bad consequences. Sure, I've overpaid, but the dealer has never under delivered in my time of warranty need.
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    odie91 said:

Sure you do.....manufacturer's warranty is good to 3 yrs / 36K regardless who owns it.  Powertrain, frame, and other warranties last much longer and cover whoever owns it.  The aftermarket warranties are the ones that screw you by charging the $100 or whatever to transfer it to a new owner.
    But there’s an end to it. The companies always have to have a way out to minimize cost exposure and to help boost new sales and support the dealer network. 
  • stlcharcoal
    edited October 2018
    Options
    odie91 said:

But there’s an end to it. The companies always have to have a way out to minimize cost exposure and to help boost new sales and support the dealer network. 
    .....on stuff that isn't intended to last forever or at least for generations.  An egg isn't mechanical nor has anything that should wear out over time.

We just became a Shun knife dealer.....warranty is good for whoever owns it.   No need for a receipt or anything when sending it in for a claim.  Free sharpening too.  Should get the first shipment in a few months.....cant wait!

• U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,043
    Options
    odie91 said:

So I found this out last year.  We sold my wife’s Hyundai.  6 years old and like 50000 miles.  It had the 10 year, 100,000 mile warranty from the factory on the power train.  It was not transferable through private sale only through a Hyundai authorized dealer.  
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,735
    Options
    I did what I think @caliking did and took a photo of my receipt on the day of purchase. I also made sure that my dealer entered in all the receipt info into their system in case the physical receipt gets lost or the photo gets deleted. Any product that I've ever bought that had a lifetime warranty, I make sure that I take the time to document everything needed to take advantage of said warranty. I don't want some horse shite being pulled on me when I'm 78 and needing a warranty replacement.
    Yep. Scanned and emailed the receipts of my eggs to myself. Have made 2 warranty claims, 1 with an Ace that is much closer than the original dealer.

Walked into the store, emailed the receipts and pics as we talked - done. Took 30 mins or less each time, and I left with the parts loaded in my car. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.