Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need some ideas for cheap eats to take...

Options
My buddy is hosting a bonfire get-together this weekend with who knows how many coming.  What can I make on the cheap that still represents the awesomeness of the egg?  My initial thought was a mess of wings or maybe some Moinks...

What else ya got ?
Kansas City: Too Much City for One State - Missouri side
2 Large BGE's, Instant Pot, Anova Sous Vide, and a gas smoker...
Barbeque, Homebrew and Blues...

Comments

• retiredadman
    Options
    The cheapest thing here (Baton Rouge) are leg quarters (drumsticks with thighs attached). They are so cheap because this is what processors are left with when they sell the breasts and wings. You can marinate them with Fajita seasonings and lime, cook them on your egg. Strip the bones of the meat, return them to the egg with onions, bell peppers, banana peppers, lime juice in a dutch oven. Then serve Smoked Chicken Fajitas. 
  • littlerascal56
    Options
    Wings ain’t  cheap!  Do chicken livers wrapped in bacon (sprinkled with brown sugar), or something with hot dogs and BBQ sauce and lots of wood smoke! 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Give the search function a look for stuffed fritos.  You can scale it up and the hardest part is loading the scoops before you cook 'em up.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,769
    Options
    pork belly burnt ends, most never had them and they disappear fast
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    Options
    you dont see this one much, serve with crackers either hot, room temp, or cold. smoked cream cheese 275 for 2 hours indirect

fukahwee maine

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,345
    Options
    ABT's are cheap to make
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Nothing sells more eggs for the money than pulled pork. Butts on sale regularly for .99/ #. I’d say cheap eats for a dozen or so folks. 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    Smoke a batch of chili for out by the bonfire 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Jai-Bo
    Jai-Bo Posts: 584
    Options
    you dont see this one much, serve with crackers either hot, room temp, or cold. smoked cream cheese 275 for 2 hours indirect

Best way to do cream cheese is cut it in half length ways then dust it with whatever you prefer.  This way it has more flavor and just the right size to dip a cracker in to it!!!   Make sure folks know not to use 1/3 less fat cream cheese or it will liquid-fy!!!  I use smoked cream cheese in my fish dips too!!!

Great stuff!
    Hunting-Fishing-Cookin' on my EGG! Nothing else compares!
  • fishlessman
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Jai-Bo said:

Best way to do cream cheese is cut it in half length ways then dust it with whatever you prefer.  This way it has more flavor and just the right size to dip a cracker in to it!!!   Make sure folks know not to use 1/3 less fat cream cheese or it will liquid-fy!!!  I use smoked cream cheese in my fish dips too!!!

Great stuff!
    i think that was a first attempt, i diagonal cut them like a ham now but like the idea of cutting it in half length wise.  i never gave it a thought someone would use the less fat cheese
    fukahwee maine

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    How about Mainegg's ABT Dip? Never made it, but by all accounts, it delicious. And far easier than regular ABTs. 

https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/856824/abt-dip

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    A pork butt is pretty cheap. 
  • vb4677
    vb4677 Posts: 686
    Options

What smoking wood(s) do you use?  I've cold smoked a lot of other, firmer cheeses, and those have to mellow for a couple of weeks or else it tastes like an ashtray...
  • vb4677
    Options
    How about Mainegg's ABT Dip? Never made it, but by all accounts, it delicious. And far easier than regular ABTs. 

Hey! I like this sound of this!  Thanks for the share!

• fishlessman
    Options
    vb4677 said:

What smoking wood(s) do you use?  I've cold smoked a lot of other, firmer cheeses, and those have to mellow for a couple of weeks or else it tastes like an ashtray...
    apple or blueberry.  the smoke is stronger when its still hot but mellows by the time it hits room temp. those that dont like the smoke can pull the cheese from the inside but i have not seen that happen.  i prefer it served room temp to slightly warm
    fukahwee maine

• vb4677
    Options

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    vb4677 said:

Pretty sure Jay (@SSN686) has made a version of this several times.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• marysvilleksegghead
    Options
    never made Mainegg's ABT Dip, but if I were to, I'd split the chilis, clean out the seeds and then grill them before following the rest of the procedure  FWIW
    Lrg 2008
    Mini 2009