Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butts and My Never Ending Quest for Improvement

Hotch
Hotch Posts: 3,564
edited October 2018 in EggHead Forum
I've been cooking quite few butts lately and started using a different cook setup.
Mission is to capture the goodness that is rendered while cooking then strain it and put it back in after pulled and or chopped.
With past cooks I always noticed the bottom of the butts seemed to be a bit dry and or over cooked. Even with a drip pan and spacers on the plate setter. So lately I have started to pan the butt in a shallow casserole pan with a 1/4 sheet size cooling rack.

My BGE large Egg set up is:
PSWoo with the R&B Oval from Tom at The Ceramic Grill Store

What an amazing improvement! These have been right up there with the butts I've cook on my Shirley!!
Thanks for looking.

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
BGE Chiminea
Prosper, TX

Comments

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    edited October 2018
    Nice cook. Lately I've been using my pellet smoker for butts. I can't seem to figure out when to put the capture pan in, Too early, and I catch all the rendered fat. I've found the good meat juice begins to render above 170 Deg internal temp. Sometimes the temp is closer to 180 Deg to get the good drippings.

I guess in the egg, catching the good juice separate from the fat, requires swapping out the pan mid cook, or do you separate it after the cook finishes?

You mentioned that you had a Shirley, they are built about an hours drive from me, they look like one of the finest built smokers available. A Shirley is on my dream list to own.

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Just let me know any time you need a taste tester :smiley:

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Looks fantastic Hotch
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,895
    @Hotch - I am going to steal that setup for next time I'm doing a bunch of Boston butts. My setup has been platesetter with legs up, two twisted pieces of HDF shaped in a U and placed under a drip pan. Then the grate with the butt on top.

Meat, grate, and top of drip pan stuck together on the last two of the 7 cooks I just finished up late Friday evening. Being able to pick the whole thing off the grate cleanly, reload charcoal, and put another butt on is a game changer. Thanks very much.
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • Hotch
    GregW said:
    Nice cook. Lately I've been using my pellet smoker for butts. I can't seem to figure out when to put the capture pan in, Too early, and I catch all the rendered fat. I've found the good meat juice begins to render above 170 Deg internal temp. Sometimes the temp is closer to 180 Deg to get the good drippings.

I guess in the egg, catching the good juice separate from the fat, requires swapping out the pan mid cook, or do you separate it after the cook finishes?

You mentioned that you had a Shirley, they are built about an hours drive from me, they look like one of the finest built smokers available. A Shirley is on my dream list to own.

I would try the setup I'm doing from start to finish on your pellet pooper.
    What I found to work best is a nicely trimmed Butt and a shallow pan with the cooling rack. As you can see in the first pic the butt has very little fat cap, 1/4" or so and only on 2/3's of it. Rubbed it with SuckleBusters Hog Waller, foiled it and in the fridge over night. On the BGE large at 8:30 am. It went @275 and never opened it till IT hit almost 200. Probed like butter.
    Took it off around 9:30pm and let rest for an hour. Then pulled it. After that ran through my food processor a handful at a time and 8-10 pulses. Panned the chop, added a bit more rub, sauced it and poured the warm strained pan drippings on it. With just Shelly and I we Vac Seal it in both 1 lb and .5 lb portions to re-heat in the Soux Vide.

I think these are carried at Wally World. (Perfect fit with the Oval Stone!!)

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Hotch
    SamIAm2 said:
    @Hotch - I am going to steal that setup for next time I'm doing a bunch of Boston butts. My setup has been platesetter with legs up, two twisted pieces of HDF shaped in a U and placed under a drip pan. Then the grate with the butt on top.

Meat, grate, and top of drip pan stuck together on the last two of the 7 cooks I just finished up late Friday evening. Being able to pick the whole thing off the grate cleanly, reload charcoal, and put another butt on is a game changer. Thanks very much.
    I put the butt, disposable pan and all on a 1/4 sheet pan to carry back in the house. If not the disposable pan may fold up on you!!
    Take a look at the Ceramic Grill Store PSWoo, R&B oval stone and triangle support for doing the easy lifting you are looking for. 
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    Thank-you for sharing your technique. I'm going to try it next time.

The name of the rub you used is hilarious.  :)
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • Hotch
    Of course pull the paper out of the pan before cooking! :rofl:
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    What a great idea, definately will try that next time  Was planning a butt in the next few days.  Thanks for posting.
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • GrateEggspectations
    GrateEggspectations Posts: 9,251
    edited October 2018
    Totally thought this thread was going to be about your glute-building routine. 

• Hotch
    Nice shoes!
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Hotch said:
    Nice shoes!
    This is what caught my eye as well.
  • SamIAm2
    @Hotch - Used your setup yesterday for a 9 pound Boston Butt. I wrapped the 1/4 sheet size cooling rack in HDAF, placed it in the disposable AL pan, then put the butt fat side up on top. Platesetter legs up with grid then the setup on top of grid. Ran 13 hours till 205 internal, used an aluminum half pan to carry the whole thing into the house and onto the kitchen counter per your suggestion. Easy as could be. Pulled after an hour rest and removed the foil from cooling rack. Clear fat in the pan and really easy cleanup. Think I'll get 4 copper couplings to set the rack on to keep the bottom feet out of the fat for even easier cleanup.  Thanks so much for this thread. 
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Hotch said:
    Nice shoes!
    If it was the shoes that caught y’all s eye, y’all have a far more serious problem than how to cook pork ;)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    @Hotch
    On a serious note, great looking grub ole buddy.  

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    I agree with this technique; I’ve been doing this with a v-rack in a disposable pan.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I like this idea. Except I would think the cooling rack would be kind of a pain to clean. I'm thinking a silicone roasting rack might work well. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Hotch
    I like this idea. Except I would think the cooling rack would be kind of a pain to clean. I'm thinking a silicone roasting rack might work well. 
    Thanks. Not to much. I hit it with a few shots of spray cooking oil. Then just toss the cooling rack in the dishwasher after the cook.
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • SGH said:
    Hotch said:
    Nice shoes!
    If it was the shoes that caught y’all s eye, y’all have a far more serious problem than how to cook pork ;)
    I did the research.  She's got a sister.
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    SGH said:
    Hotch said:
    Nice shoes!
    It was the shape of the shoes. The round.. Juicy... Plump .... yeah shoes. That's what we were talking about shoes...
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Hotch
    SGH said:
    Hotch said:
    Nice shoes!
    I did the research.  She's got a sister.
    There's a pair of them?
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    hotch, I go fat cap down on briskets and butts to help protect the meat.  I'd rather have meat side up to insure I get best bark on what I'm eating. Ceramics do such a good job holding moisture, having fat cap up to render through the meat is least important to me.

when I need to separate fat from juice, I use one of these, fat separator measuring cup.

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • I'm gonna try this next time around. Great idea, thanks.
    Tampa Bay, Florida
  • SGH
    @Hotch
    You know there was a couple of other fellows who use to say they liked to use pans for butts. Their names elude me at the moment. I’m pretty sure it was two of these fellows though. 

Status- Standing by.

• Wish I had seen this thread this morning. Gonna try this next time. I just got done with a Boston butt an hour ago...here’s how it turned out.

Eastern Shore Virginia 

Medium & Mini Max
  • Hotch
    Prepped a 7lb butt last night with SuckleBusters Hog Waller rub.
    Let it rest all foiled up in the fridge overnight to get happy!
    Loaded it on the cooling rack in a medium height 9"x12" pan.

Had the BGE large sitting in the Smoken Products stand and rolling at 285 with the Stoker II WiFi in control.

Tented the butt once it got to an IT of 170. Then pulled it when IT hit 203.
    Probed like butter!
    Take a look at the liquid Gold in the bottom of the pan!!
    That's what I was going for!! I will put it back in once pulled and rough chopped.

Now going let it rest covered foiled with a shake or two of the Hog Waller.
    I will probably let it rest for an hour or two. 

Thanks for looking! 
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • SGH
    @Hotch
    You are a butt machine ;)

Status- Standing by.

• Hotch
    A screen shot from my Stoker Log software on this cook.

Nailed it @ 285 degrees!!
    I like my Stoker!!  =)
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • SamIAm2
    @Hotch - made an adjustment to your setup. Added four 3/4" copper couplings with stop to the bottom of the pan. Wrapped cooling rack in HDAF and put a 10# Pork Shoulder on at 8:00 am yesterday.

For stability I think the rack will be placed on with legs up next time. These shots were after the cook and clean up were mostly done. Clean up was a breeze. This shoulder took a lot longer than I anticipated. Got tired after 14 hour cook and it still didn't probe like butter, so at 2:00 am I pulled it, wrapped in foil, and placed in the fridge. Took it out this morning and put it in the oven at 300 to finish off.

Pulled the skin off and put it back in the oven to finish off cracklings. 
    The fat that came off this was clear and it went into the pulled meat pan. Waiting for meat to cool off before vacuum sealing in quart bags. I LOVE THIS SETUP. Thanks again.

Ubi panis, ibi patria.