Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boneless butts?

Options
Ive gotta cook 8 butts for the kids school in a few weeks and I was looking at the boneless butts from Costco. I’ve never cooked boneless so I was curious as to the difference, if any. Cook time, etc.. 
I'm in Fredericksburg, VA, and I have an XL and a medium. 

Comments

• CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Options
    They cook just the same in my opinion. I've done plenty of the Costco ones.  
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Pretty much the same cook time.  You'll just need some butchers twine to tie them into shape.  

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    I've smoked both and haven't noticed much of a difference. I do prefer bone-in though just for the sake of it. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • TideEggHead
    TideEggHead Posts: 1,338
    Options
    I can't tell a difference either, other than boneless always seem to cost a little more in my area. +1 on the twine but I've cooked them without before too.
    LBGE
    AL
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    As above. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I buy most of my butts at Wegman's in Fbg. It's like 400+ miles away, but when I visit Mom, I usually pick up one or two to bring home with me. Always bone in and $1.49/lb (half of what they cost here!). No idea what they cost at Costco.

They also sell this if you want to give it a try on your next pizza. Back left corner of the cheese department.
    Mozzarella Di Bufala Campana DOP

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Skrullb
    Skrullb Posts: 666
    Options
    I buy most of my butts at Wegman's in Fbg. It's like 400+ miles away, but when I visit Mom, I usually pick up one or two to bring home with me. Always bone in and $1.49/lb (half of what they cost here!). No idea what they cost at Costco.
    That’s where I get mine, too, but not sure if I can grab 8 at once or not. Lol
  • FlyOverCountry
    Options
    If you can’t put the bone in the butt then you might as well jump off a bridge.  At least that is how I explained it to my wife.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Skrullb said:
    I usually see that many when I go there. If not, come back the next day. Or ask the manager to hold some for you.

Also, see my cheese edit above if you didn't already.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• jazimmerman
    Options
    Skrullb said:
    Talk with the butcher at Wegmans. You can probably get a case discount and if it's due a school event they may do something too. They're a very giving company.
  • Skrullb
    Skrullb Posts: 666
    Options

They also sell this if you want to give it a try on your next pizza. Back left corner of the cheese department.
    Mozzarella Di Bufala Campana DOP
    Oh my. Thanks!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    If you can’t put the bone in the butt then you might as well jump off a bridge.  At least that is how I explained it to my wife.
    so...I'm guessing you did not jump.