Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Going grate less

Options
I've been using a salt block on my lg egg for some time now and really like it. Just recently picked up an eight by eight inch block for the mini max. The block fits nicely with or without grill grate. What are your thoughts on using the block directly on place setter? 
Fort Wayne Indiana 

Comments

• U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    I don’t have a salt block.  However, I would use the grid, it will help encourage even heating and less “hotspots” that you might encounter on the plate setter.  You don’t want to crack your new toy.
  • MasterC
    MasterC Posts: 1,375
    Options
    In my lg I use the block over direct heat, but that fire is farther away. I'm thinking indirect with grate running about 400 degrees my first cook. My nephew gave me half a steely to sacrifice.
    Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    Options
    The heat conduction value of NaCl is so low it won't make a difference to your food, at all.
    However, as @U tarded mentioned above, it "may" eliminate hotspots, although the ceramic of the platesetter would also have a pretty low heat conduction value.  
    If it were me, I would go with either method without worry, but its not my equipment you're working with.  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• BobDanger
    BobDanger Posts: 323
    Options
    What do you gain by using the salt block?

What do you cook on it?
    Eastern Shore Virginia 

Medium & Mini Max
  • EggbertGreenII
    Options
    Would that be considered to be ungrateful?
    Tampa Bay, Florida
  • MasterC
    Options
    BobDanger, I so far to me it's cooking on best griddle smoker. I've cooked meat, vegetables, fruit and eggs. Want try baking one of these days. It does impart a salty flavor but Ifind it varies with the moisture of what's being grilled. It also will hold heat which makes it fun as t the campground. I can take it off the grill and put it on a trivet and we can cook little bites as we enjoy our beverages. Did these last night.
    Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • MasterC
    Options
    Tonight I did steelhead on the salt block with cherry wood smoke, great sear and crispy skin. Sorry about presentation but everyone was hungry 
    Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • Webass
    Webass Posts: 259
    Options
    I place my salt block on the grate when I use it on the egg. The instructions said do not place it directly on a heated surface such as an electric stove element or griddle.  I think the placesetter would fall into that category. I typically use mine more on the gas cooktop over the flame for fish, shrimp, and scallops.     

Lenoir City, TN -  Bama fan in Tenn Vol's backyard. 

LBGE, Weber Spirit