Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Old Big Green Egg Mini + New Hinge Kit = Doesn't Fit

I was given an older (5-7 years old) That had a beat-up hinge kit and handle, so I ordered the new hinge kit so that it would match my two Large Big Green Eggs.  I installed the new hinge kit and there's about a 1/4" gap between the band and the Egg even with the band tightened down all the way.  Has the size of the Mini changed over the years?  Is there an "adapter" out there that I need?
MATT | MIDDLE TENNESSEE | Large | Large | Mini

Comments

• Jai-Bo
    Jai-Bo Posts: 584
    You sure you got one for the mini and not the small?  Or got one for the mini-max not the real minnie?  Check your order....
    Hunting-Fishing-Cookin' on my EGG! Nothing else compares!
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    In years past I've heard of people sticking gaskets between the egg and band with the same issue you're having 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • I checked my order and definitely got one for the Mini.  I also checked again with the person that gave it to me and the Egg is 10+ years old.  Has the Mini changed size?
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    The 1st gen Mini had a 9 1/2" grid. The 2nd gen Mini has a 10" grid.
    You may have a 1st gen Mini and a 2nd gen hinge kit.

If so call the Mother Ship and see if one is available from them or one of the distributors. 3 years ago I found a 9 1/2" grid for my Chiminea from:

Dizzy Pig BBQ Supply store in Manassas, VA

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    BigBadEgg said:
    Has the Mini changed size?
    Yes. Not sure about the diameter of the egg itself, but the grid increased to 10" diameter from something smaller (9" maybe? Not sure.).

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    i am thinking its much more than 7 years when that changed.  when you call bge make sure you are talking to bruce, he is the only one left that knows the older parts and he will put in the effort to find an older hinge if there still is one on the back shelf
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • I have the new band kit for the mini and my mini was one of the older ones with the arm on the side to hold it up, and a ceramic fire grate.  Seems like the dome is a little small there.  The grid size changed but the dome did not to my knowledge.  The same thing happened on the medium egg where the grid size increased but the outer ceramic parts stayed put.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    The base changed for sure but your egg is way older than you sure but your egg is way older than you think probably like 12 or so years. I had the same issue years back I put a gasket around it then put the band and it worked. I have an old post probably 5 years ago when I bought the new style fire ring and had to take a belt sander to it to get it to fit.
  • Lit
    I found the pics. Does yours have this thick fire ring?
  • Lit
    If I remember correctly I didn’t do the gasket all the way around I just cut like 1 inch pieces and put it 4-5 places under the band and it worked great. 
  • My goodness, being new on the forum I can't believe how much help you all have been!  Thank you all so much!  I LOVE my Eggs, and the community that goes with it is just as good if not better!  You all have answered my questions.  I do have the ceramic fire grate, and my fire ring is the thicker one.  I went back to the original owner and she said, " Yeah I guess it's more like 15 years old" .... well, there ya go.  Thanks again all!
  • fishlessman
    BigBadEgg said:
    My goodness, being new on the forum I can't believe how much help you all have been!  Thank you all so much!  I LOVE my Eggs, and the community that goes with it is just as good if not better!  You all have answered my questions.  I do have the ceramic fire grate, and my fire ring is the thicker one.  I went back to the original owner and she said, " Yeah I guess it's more like 15 years old" .... well, there ya go.  Thanks again all!
    i think you can add more years to the 15 if it still has a ceramic fire grate. you did not post a pic, but if its in the old stand, you need to get it out of that stand, it can crack the base around the circumference.  big design flaw with the old stands

Image result for cracked mini bge

fukahwee maine

• Good to know!  I have it in a stand where it sits under the bottom.  Here's a pic...
  • fishlessman
    thats in really good shape for an older egg, even the old carbon steel lower vent is in good shape. i dont think its been used much at all.  you will get higher searing temps if you upgrade the fire grate
    fukahwee maine

• The previous owner told me that she cooked on it ONCE.  It just sat under a table on her deck for YEARS!  I took it apart, cleaned it up and gave it some love.  Need to figure out what I am going to do about the hinge kit, but I'll figure it out.
  • Lit
    BigBadEgg said:
    The previous owner told me that she cooked on it ONCE.  It just sat under a table on her deck for YEARS!  I took it apart, cleaned it up and gave it some love.  Need to figure out what I am going to do about the hinge kit, but I'll figure it out.
    I have a couple feet of the BGE peel and stick gasket left over from something. If you message me your address I’ll send it to you.