Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The new FlameBoss 400

Options

Comments

• SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    @littlerascal56 I like that. I was going to attach mine to to my tanble but I like your portable idea better.  Where did you get the waterproof box?
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Easy to move in this rack, and stores both fans and all probes! And it’s plugged into a gfci on a 3 wire cord!!!
    Well...that's cheating.lol
    Nice Rig!
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

@littlerascal56 .I like your flameboss caddy, but please give the dets on that vertical.  Never seen that design before.  Looks to be gravity fed?

Phoenix 
  • littlerascal56
    Options
    Got the  6x6 plastic junction box at a local electrical supply house. Has a rubber gasket and cover. I cut the opening out, and installed a Plexiglas cover I can swing open to get to the controller.  Painted BGE Green...LOL.

It was my first cook on my new Gravity Feed build in the earlier picture. Since then I insulated the firebox and gravity chute w/3" ceramic blanket insulation, rated 2400 degrees, per above picture.  Really keeps the cooker more efficient.

This was an old Westinghouse electrical cabinet that I installed in a substation in 1985.  Just removed it to upgrade to computer controls, so it got re-purposed as my smoker. 1/8" thick steel, rolled edges, built to last another 100 years!  Made a sweet cooker to compliment my XL when we have a crowd coming for the weekend.
  • littlerascal56
    Options
    Firebox grate (and ashpan) are stainless, as is door backplate. This area ran 660 degrees before I insulated it.  Made some serious heat waves!  It's now just warm to the touch, even when I am cooking over 350.
  • EggbertGreenII
    Options
    Easy to move in this rack, and stores both fans and all probes! And it’s plugged into a gfci on a 3 wire cord!!!
    That is a clever way to handle the electrical stuff. Well done.
    Tampa Bay, Florida
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

@littlerascal56 Looks like a good design and quality build - enjoy

Phoenix 
  • littlerascal56
    Options
    Gets used on 4 different cookers!  And it doesn’t matter if it’s pouring rain, day or night!
  • BigGreenPackerFan
    Options
    NYcanuck said:
    Here's hoping that someone from BGE will chime in.  Just got my egg and was excited to hear about the FB400 but am now waiting to hear on the BGE branded version.

BGE version will be shipping soon and will retail for 229.00 I believe this is only $10.00 more than the new FB400 model. Comes with 1 meat & 1 temp probe with ability to add 2 extra meat probes.
  • Gravytrain84
    Options
    NYcanuck said:
    Here's hoping that someone from BGE will chime in.  Just got my egg and was excited to hear about the FB400 but am now waiting to hear on the BGE branded version.

BGE version will be shipping soon and will retail for 229.00 I believe this is only $10.00 more than the new FB400 model. Comes with 1 meat & 1 temp probe with ability to add 2 extra meat probes.
    Where are you seeing this info?
  • BigGreenPackerFan
    Options
    NYcanuck said:

Where are you seeing this info?

Product and info was on display at the Ace Hardware show in Chicago a few weeks ago.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    edited September 2018
    Options
    NYcanuck said:

I believe you were seeing the dealer cost or Ace cost......because there's no way that's correct.

• NYcanuck
    Options
    Guess I'm waiting :) 
    DFW: XLBGE - Long journey from Canada to NY to TX - I wasn't born here but I got here as soon as I could

• BigGreenPackerFan
    Options
    NYcanuck said:

I believe you were seeing the dealer cost or Ace cost......because there's no way that's correct.

This information is correct. The retail is 229.95 and ships to BGE dealers soon.

• Thapco
    Options
    Just got email and said shipping today and freight prepaid
  • Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    Options
    Thapco said:

Are you referring to the generic version or the BGE version? 
    New Orleans LA
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    Dondgc said:
    Thapco said:

Are you referring to the generic version or the BGE version? 
    I got the same email. I'm probably going to stick with my FB200 for a while longer. But I like the concept of the FB400 and I'll get there someday.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• Triskal
    Options
    Looks like the Egg Genius is available now: https://biggreenegg.com/product/egg-genius/
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,529
    Options
    I will add a note about something not asked. It will function in AP mode for cases where an Internet wireless network is not available. You will be able to make a direct WiFi connection to your model 400. The app will be updated to support this capability.
    no need for a web link now....

nice @MichaelCollins

Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    So...if I don’t want to pay extra for green paint will the Kamado version fit the egg?

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• stlcharcoal
    edited October 2018
    Options
    So...if I don’t want to pay extra for green paint will the Kamado version fit the egg?
    Yes.....comes with three adapters so it will fit any kamado (except Vision Pro series which takes a special adapter)
  • Triskal
    Options
    ... green paint ...
    IMO, the ability to run up to three meat probes is easily worth the extra $10. 
  • NYcanuck
    Options
    I waited specifically for the extra probe compatibility (not the green paint).
    Very happy so far.
    DFW: XLBGE - Long journey from Canada to NY to TX - I wasn't born here but I got here as soon as I could

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,527
    Options
    Even if you only use/need one meat probe, it's nice to have a spare port in case the port jams/breaks like what happened to my Rocks BBQ Stoker.

For those stuck with single meat probe, you can stick it into the piece that you expect to finish first (usually the smallest piece), just saying.
    canuckland
  • Jclayto
    Options
    I apologize for brining back and old thread but I am strongly considering a FB400 for my large big green egg. Before pulling the trigger I want to make sure than I am understanding correctly that the standard FB 400 with it's included hardware should mount correctly to my BGE? I understand that FB is also making a green version of this product for BGE but if the regular FB 400 unit will work for me then I am happy to buy that instead. 

Thanks in advance for any input. 

• stlcharcoal
    Options
    Jclayto said:
    I apologize for brining back and old thread but I am strongly considering a FB400 for my large big green egg. Before pulling the trigger I want to make sure than I am understanding correctly that the standard FB 400 with it's included hardware should mount correctly to my BGE? I understand that FB is also making a green version of this product for BGE but if the regular FB 400 unit will work for me then I am happy to buy that instead. 

Yes, it includes three adapters to fit any bge or any kamado (except the vision pro which requires a special adapter).  As I understand it, the green one only includes the bge specific adapters.
  • NYcanuck
    Options
    Jclayto said:

Please note that the BGE branded FB supports up to 3 meat probes and one put probe (with splitters). The FB400 only supports one out and one meat.  Well worth the little bit extra imo. 

• Shawnodell83
    Options
    I’m just a little worried about only having the app on the phone and no actual controller to read temps. I have heard the egg genius app is quarky and sounds like flameboss had issues on thier app as well. If the app fails your SOL?
    Edwardsville, IL (Near St. Louis, MO)
    Large Big Green Egg & Weber Genesis II 
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    I’m just a little worried about only having the app on the phone and no actual controller to read temps. I have heard the egg genius app is quarky and sounds like flameboss had issues on thier app as well. If the app fails your SOL?
    It will stick to whatever you had it last set at......same thing if your power goes out then comes back on.