Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First time chicken satay w pics

Options
Had my egg 16 years and made this for the first time. Just one of those things I never thought to make at home but looked great in a cookbook pic so thought I would give it a shot. Quite a few ingredients involved but otherwise super simple. The cutting of the chicken is important. Don’t try to breeze through it. There is a nice technique on YouTube pretty easy to follow. Had to run my knife through the chef pro sharpener prior to doing second breast. 
Used this cooks countery recipe as a guide. Marinated chicken 8 hours could get away with 2. I’m no world traveler but they were best I’ve ever had.  

EANUT SAUCE

cup peanut butter
cup coconut milk
3tablespoons lime juice (2 limes)
2scallions, sliced thin
2tablespoons packed brown sugar
2tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
1tablespoon Sriracha sauce
1tablespoon fish sauce
1garlic clove, minced
½teaspoon curry powder

SATAY

cup coconut milk
4scallions, sliced thin
¼cup packed brown sugar
¼cup chopped fresh cilantro
3tablespoons fish sauce
2tablespoons Sriracha sauce
2garlic cloves, minced
½teaspoon curry powder
4(6- to 8-ounce) boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed

Comments

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Looks like a winner to me.  well done.
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    Those look fantastic, and the recipe sounds great!

It's hard to get a good char on chicken breast meat without overcooking them. I'm guessing you grilled them very hot and rather briefly.  Do you recall -- 500°?  600°?
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    Options
    What's-her-name and I used to go to a patio club on Wednesday nights for $2 satay, cheep beer and a jazz combo.  Never thought of making it myself either, this weekend's project, thanks!  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• Big Ragu
    Big Ragu Posts: 148
    Options
    Theophan said:
    Those look fantastic, and the recipe sounds great!

It's hard to get a good char on chicken breast meat without overcooking them. I'm guessing you grilled them very hot and rather briefly.  Do you recall -- 500°?  600°?
    450.  I used the thermapen on this.  It was tough to tell how cooked they were inside.  We get used to poking our food to check for done-ness.  Not this one.  Thermapen really helped.  I think some of the char came from leaving them wet with the satay marinade.  They were really tender not dried out at all.  
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,733
    Options
    Those look great!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va