Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Correct turkey temp for no blood

Options
BK
BK Posts: 19
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I asked this last week, but didn't seem to get clear on it and can't find the previous post.
I've got a 17#r to smoke to morrow. Every time the dark meat has a little blood and the joints mainly in the thigh has a bit of blood. I'll cook at 300 to even 350. Is this ok? I don't want anyone to get sick. They always rave about the turkey and I'm always concerned about the dark meat.
Planning on breast temp of 170-175 to make sure.
Please provide som guidance.

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    bk,
    wee the link and do the ice the breast trick.. ..should result in more well done thighs when your breasts are ready ... . HTH

[ul][li]http://www.nakedwhiz.com/madmaxturkey.htm[/ul]
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    bk,
    you will see less blood and red near the bone with fresh turkeys. frozen ones are were that blood in the thigh usually shows up, but the pinky meat near the bone will/can show up in both with an egged bird.160 in the breast and 180 in the thigh already have a factor of safety built in as temps will rise after you take the turkey off the egg. if you use smoke there will also be some pink near the skin. the only way to know its really done is with a thermometer, calibrate it in boiling water and trust it.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • duckegg
    duckegg Posts: 267
    Options
    bk,
    My last turkey (first turkey) 18# I pulled at 160 breast as advised and thought it was underdone. I am a newbee but would go to 170 breast next time, Christmas. I did ice the breast for .5 hour.

• BK
    BK Posts: 19
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    I've got the ice in the bag and will give this a try.
    Thanks