Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Egg Accessories Have You Bought That You Wouldn't Buy Again If You Knew Then, What You Know Now

Options
For me, The Ash Removal Tool, Ash Tool, Grid Gripper, Temperature Gauge, and the ConvEggtor. I know there's more, they just don't come to mind now.
Tampa Bay, Florida

Comments

• Leopoldstoch
    Options
    Being a recent convert to a cgs setup, the conveggtor would easily be the first thing I’d never buy again.

Brandon - Ohio

• theyolksonyou
    Options
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    The BGE Extendor.  Biggest POS ever 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Only thing that falls into this category for me is the electric starter I started out with.  It didn’t last long, and I never bought another.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • derka123
    Options
    Fortunately I found this forum early on and the members here have great insight on what to buy and what not to buy, and I typically do a lot of research even for the lesser expensive accessories. The only one I really regret is the looftlighter. It works, it's just so much easier to light a little fire starter and go about my business rather than stand over the egg for a few minutes getting hit with sparks. Plus I don't like plugging in the electrical outlet, I'm lazy.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    Fortunately the above was "gifted" and another BGE wonder is/was the three tier system with the center post design.  Those easily win the day for me. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Fortunately the above was "gifted" and another BGE wonder is/was the three tier system with the center post design.  Those easily win the day for me. 
    I have one of those I was given.  Three tier center post is junk.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,898
    Options
    Vertical Ceramic Chicken holder, Vertical stainless turkey holder and the BGE grid lifter.
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • abpgwolf
    Options
    Platesetter, cover

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• EggbertGreenII
    Options
    SamIAm2 said:
    Vertical Ceramic Chicken holder, Vertical stainless turkey holder and the BGE grid lifter.
    Yeah, I forgot the ceramic chicken holders, two rib racks that work OK but are a pain to clean, so they never get used.
    Tampa Bay, Florida
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    I bought a heavy wire, chromed trumpet-bell-shaped thingie that held a chicken upright, like a beer can (it had no provision for a beer can, which doesn't/can't do much anyway).  I believe it was a BGE item.  
    Used it once.  It was sized correctly.  It took longer to clean than the cook did. The very next weekend I tried my first spatchcock, and never used the wire thingie again.
    I also have a BGE wire shelf, with 4 spindly legs, allowing me to smoke 2 briskies at once.  I haven't used it yet, still in the package, as I've not yet been in a situation to cook two briskets.  :(  Several folks here have claimed it was a POS, but one person said it worked okay if you installed it correctly; I'm going to give it a try someday.  
    Otherwise, as @derka123 stated above, I joined this forum early and you guys steered me right; thank you!  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Grillin_beers
    Options
    Looft Lighter.... no matter what cool tool I buy to light my egg, I always go back to the starter cubes.  It’s just so easy.  
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • dharley
    dharley Posts: 377
    edited September 2018
    Options
    CI grid. It's fine, just not great and definitely not worth the coin. Electric starter. All the sh!tty charcoal I "experimented" with before bowing my head and accepting that the more expensive stuff (RW, KJ, FOGO, some east coast stuff my ACE carries, etc.),is worth my money and sanity. 
    LBGE, PSWOO, 36" Blackstone, MasterBuilt smoke box- Playing with fire in Three Rivers, MI

My '23 & Me' said I'm 2/3 bacon and 1/3 Red Blooded American

USMC Veteran

Always do sober what you said you would drunk, that'll teach you to keep your mouth shut.  -EH
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    BGE Lump and Platesetter

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    Oh, and the Maverick remote temp thingie.  It broke after a couple uses, and new probes didn't help.  That was a BIG cash waste.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• NewbeeMinimax
    Options
    platesetters, BGE grid lifter, small vacuum cleaner to vacuum ashes!, cast iron grid. 
    Bucks County, PA
    Minimax, XL, Flameboss 200, Roccbox

• CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Options
    Swing grate, Joetisserie, grate lifter
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • Markarm4119
    Options
    Platesetter lifter, with the PSWOO it is a waste of money.
    LBGE, and just enough knowledge and gadgets to be dangerous .
    Buford,Ga.
  • EggbertGreenII
    Options
    platesetters, BGE grid lifter, small vacuum cleaner to vacuum ashes!, cast iron grid. 
    Oh yeah, I forgot the small vacuum cleaner, Used it once, took longer to clean it than it did the to clean the Egg. I now use a pair of drywall spackling knives, one wide and one not so wide to lift out the ashes. I now clean out the ashes after every cook. I wish I'd understood what the CGS adjustable rig was all about much earlier. Once I went to that, the platesetter has not come out of storage.
    Tampa Bay, Florida
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    I never bought the ash tool. I just point my leaf blower at the lower air inlet. I would rather the Egg came with the Kick Ash Basket than the cast iron grate.
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    edited September 2018
    Options
    That thing was useless - I quickly moved to fire bricks and my Weber grid. (This was many years before CGS products)
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Maverick (almost never use it), BGE spring loaded grid lifter (gift), CI grid, BBQ Guru (works fine, just not necessary so rarely used), box of 144 lighter cubes (still sitting on the shelf years later), vertical chicken holders (2 as gifts), egg cover (never use it). Oh, and the CGS Spider, just never found a use for it. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Many years ago, smoking with guava wood was more popular on the old site.  I had some shipped in from Hawaii. I know some people liked it, but  I couldn’t stand that stuff.  Gave it all away. 
    Memphis, TN 

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,180
    Options
    I never bought the ash tool. I just point my leaf blower at the lower air inlet. 
    You’re joking right? 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Maverick (almost never use it), BGE spring loaded grid lifter (gift), CI grid, BBQ Guru (works fine, just not necessary so rarely used), box of 144 lighter cubes (still sitting on the shelf years later), vertical chicken holders (2 as gifts), egg cover (never use it). Oh, and the CGS Spider, just never found a use for it. 
    Oven?😁
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,180
    Options
    I used a couple of those vertical chicken stands before I knew better. 
  • mEGG_My_Day
    Options
    I used a couple of those vertical chicken stands before I knew better. 
    I still have one that was gifted and never used.
    Memphis, TN