Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Favorite Items to Cook When Only Cooking for One

Options
I want to cook tonight. I want to do something other than steak which is my normal go-to when I am cooking only for myself. Do you have a favorite dinner that you cook on your BGE that you can share? If possible, I was looking for main dish, side dishes, etc., to all be done on the BGE. This is for tonight as my wife will be busy and cooking just for myself. Open to suggestions and looking for something ideas that will not take a lot of prep time.

What is your favorite items to cook when only cooking for yourself?

Thanks!

John

♦︎ John ♦︎ Large BGE ♦︎ Topeka, KS ♦︎ My Blog ♦︎

Comments

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Hard to beat a good prime steak and potatoes. I like taking a cast iron skillet with a little olive oil, butter, garlic and fresh thyme and tossing some fingerling potatoes in there and smashing them down a bit once they start cooking. Once they are cooked take them off to rest for a bit, crank up the heat and sear you a nice prime filet.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Grab a take and bake pizza from Costco (I like the multi meat combo) Heat up the egg and drop a few apple chips on the coals. Bake with the plate setter in place and a pizza stone on the grate. At 400* or so you'll have plenty of time to enjoy a Bourbon on the rocks before it's done. Proceed to feast like only a man eating alone can (zeal, gusto, and frequent eating noises). The best part is that you will likely have smokey, savory leftovers for tomorrow morning. At my house we call this "Breakfast of Champions".
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • havertyj
    Options
    Hard to beat a good prime steak and potatoes. I like taking a cast iron skillet with a little olive oil, butter, garlic and fresh thyme and tossing some fingerling potatoes in there and smashing them down a bit once they start cooking. Once they are cooked take them off to rest for a bit, crank up the heat and sear you a nice prime filet.

That does sound good! I might have to give that a try. I have read about others using cast iron skillet on their BGE, but I have not tried that so that does sound interesting. Potatoes in skillet on the grill sounds really good!

Thank you!
  • havertyj
    Options
    Teefus said:
    Grab a take and bake pizza from Costco (I like the multi meat combo) Heat up the egg and drop a few apple chips on the coals. Bake with the plate setter in place and a pizza stone on the grate. At 400* or so you'll have plenty of time to enjoy a Bourbon on the rocks before it's done. Proceed to feast like only a man eating alone can (zeal, gusto, and frequent eating noises). The best part is that you will likely have smokey, savory leftovers for tomorrow morning. At my house we call this "Breakfast of Champions".
    Thank you! This sounds great! I know my wife would be jealous as we have been talking about doing pizza on the grill (homemade), but this would be a close second. I might have to try this out when she is around. Have you ever tried Papa Murphy's on the BGE? We do not have a Costco close by, but guessing Papa Murphy's would be similar. I like the idea of taking a while to cook while drinking a delicious beverage.

Love the zeal, gusto, and frequent noises recommendation too. We always try and cook something that will leave for leftovers the next day, I am not sure pizza would make it to the next day in this case. Good idea that I plan to try.

John

• vb4677
    vb4677 Posts: 686
    Options
    Since SWMBO doesn't eat anything with a bone, I do ribs or wings or drumsticks... something like that.  Also, she doesn't do medium rare - so a nice 129F sous vide ribeye is always an option for me dining alone.

Also, who doesn't love some brats and onions or italian sausages and peppers?  C'mon now...

And +1 to the grab and take pizza aspect - load it up with what you prefer.

One other thing - is cook something/do something that you could use later or freeze for later.  Like roasting vegetables for stock, or a bunch of beef/pork for chilis and stews or something...

Look to cook something you love, that she doesn't.

Kansas City: Too Much City for One State - Missouri side
    2 Large BGE's, Instant Pot, Anova Sous Vide, and a gas smoker...
    Barbeque, Homebrew and Blues...
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Lamb pops and shrimp and salmon.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I am a big fan of a home made pot pie. Kind of an all in one meal.....and I have no issues with leftovers.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    As noted above, some set your mouth on fire wings is my usual go to when SWMBO is not around. I like wings ‘cause it is reall hard to overcook them unless you use @Mickey  technique and they always come out great when the adult beverage has been flowing during the prep, come up to temp and cook cycles.
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • havertyj
    Options
    vb4677 said:
    Since SWMBO doesn't eat anything with a bone, I do ribs or wings or drumsticks... something like that.  Also, she doesn't do medium rare - so a nice 129F sous vide ribeye is always an option for me dining alone.

Also, who doesn't love some brats and onions or italian sausages and peppers?  C'mon now...

And +1 to the grab and take pizza aspect - load it up with what you prefer.

One other thing - is cook something/do something that you could use later or freeze for later.  Like roasting vegetables for stock, or a bunch of beef/pork for chilis and stews or something...

Look to cook something you love, that she doesn't.

Yeah, I feel like ribs would take a while. I have done those a few times on the grill, but not an evening thing. Those usually are an afternoon type of grill. I love them though. My wife and I both do medium rare. So good!

I think I am going to go with what @TEXASBGE2018 recommended. Might do a fire pit tonight too and watch TV outside. Weather is amazing here in Kansas! I might do enough to have leftovers as that is more good advice.

Both me and my wife are not picky eaters at all. So, narrowing down on something I like and she does not can be difficult.

Getting ready to head out from work to the store and hope to have something to share later with update and pictures.

Thank you!
  • havertyj
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Lamb pops and shrimp and salmon.
    Oh that sounds great! Have to put that on the list to try out sometime. I have not done any seafood on my grill yet.
  • havertyj
    Options
    I am a big fan of a home made pot pie. Kind of an all in one meal.....and I have no issues with leftovers.
    Do you have a recipe you can share? Not something I will try tonight, but I love pot pie and curious what recipe you use.
  • havertyj
    Options
    @Skiddymarker and @Mickey, what is the technique? I love wings and curious what process you use. Love it when the adult beverage is flowing and things come out just right!

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Green lightning shrimp is a good one.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    This is Mickey’s literally set your mouth on fire technique.....I do not recommend it. 

Check for Cazzy’s Wings - very nice if you like a softer, oriental style wing, but takes a couple of days to get the marinade hot enough. 
    I like to dredge wings in DP Swamp Venom or if you can find it John Henry’s Hot Wing Rub Seasoning. Technique is 350º-400ºF, raised direct and turn to keep from scorching. Mickey’s recipe does not require turning or watching, leaving much more time for a liquid, high carbohydrate meal. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • SaltySam
    Options
    I cook for the family all week, so when it’s just me I don’t cook.  I go out for either Indian or Vietnamese, because no one else in the house really likes that stuff.  I eat for two though

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Wife is heading to a concert with one of my daughters and a friend. Made something for the kids and I threw on some wings- get to make them how I like them tonight. Trying to cut down on the sugars so made a blend of DP Molé, blackening seasoning and yardbird. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    havertyj said:
    @Skiddymarker and @Mickey, what is the technique? I love wings and curious what process you use. Love it when the adult beverage is flowing and things come out just right!
    The technique? Drink a lot, put the wings on, drink some more, fall asleep, wake up and check on the wings.

As to the original question, cook something you like that she doesn't.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I vote for seared yellow fin tuna 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options

Sauce consisted of- butter, a little ginger and garlic, low carb soy, truvia, and 3 different hot sauces. They were awesome!
    Greensboro, NC
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    havertyj said:
    The technique? Drink a lot, put the wings on, drink some more, fall asleep, wake up and check on the wings.

As to the original question, cook something you like that she doesn't.
    Mickey has always insisted the football game he was watching was boring and instead of a nap, it turned into an almost overnighted sleep. Personally, I like your explanation. 
  • G_S
    G_S Posts: 62
    edited September 2018
    Options

My S/O  (SHMBO)
    Is not a big fan of seafood.
    So I ussaly do that when I am alone. 
    Ussaly shrimp.   

But Last weekend she had gone with the girls to Death Valley for the LSU game so that left me home alone. So I went and got a dozen oyosters and shucked them & from fresh Red Fish to blacken

• 714egghead
    Options
    This is Mickey’s literally set your mouth on fire technique.....I do not recommend it. 

Check for Cazzy’s Wings - very nice if you like a softer, oriental style wing, but takes a couple of days to get the marinade hot enough. 
    I like to dredge wings in DP Swamp Venom or if you can find it John Henry’s Hot Wing Rub Seasoning. Technique is 350º-400ºF, raised direct and turn to keep from scorching. Mickey’s recipe does not require turning or watching, leaving much more time for a liquid, high carbohydrate meal. 

Looks like he was grilling some lump! :)
    XL BGE, Imperial Kamado, brinkman gasser, Taco Cart griddle 
    (Wishlist- BGE M-Max)

Santa Ana, Ca 
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    I cook all the time so when she’s out I’m am lazy, tortilla chips, can of chili and cheese topped with jalapeños in the oven.
      Or if I have a dough I’ll make a pizza with all my toppings!
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• 714egghead
    Options
    Need that recipe for that blackened lump. 
    XL BGE, Imperial Kamado, brinkman gasser, Taco Cart griddle 
    (Wishlist- BGE M-Max)

Santa Ana, Ca 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,476
    Options

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• havertyj
    Options
    @Skiddymarker, wow, those do not look like they can be eaten. :)  Thanks for the wing recipe. I will have to give that a try.

• havertyj
    Options
    SaltySam said:
    I cook for the family all week, so when it’s just me I don’t cook.  I go out for either Indian or Vietnamese, because no one else in the house really likes that stuff.  I eat for two though
    Those are always good choices! Both my wife and I like Indian. Have cravings for it at least once a month. It is easy to eat for two when having Indian.
  • havertyj
    Options
    @G_S, wow, that looks amazing! I have not done any seafood yet on the grill after having it for a year. Need to give it a try!
  • havertyj
    Options
    My evening alone last night was great! I did not get any pictures. Finished a growler of beer and started on Scotch. Had a fire pit going. It was a good night!

@Texasbge2018, I went with your initial suggestion and did a nice cut of steak and then potatoes in iron skillet. First time using iron skillet on the grill. Turned out great! Although, I should have kept the onions out of the mix as they cooked down to nothing. The spuds though were really good! When my wife got home she had to look at the leftovers in the fridge because the smell of the steak and potatoes still lingered in the house. She commented how good the potatoes looked. I really liked them because they had picked up the smokey flavor from the grill.  Thanks for the suggestion and made for a longer cook than just doing the steak. I also liked doing everything on the grill instead of meat on the grill and everything else inside. It was fun!

The only downside was that about 11 it started to sprinkle and then started to rain harder forcing me inside. Fun time and I had more than enough adult beverages.

Thank you everyone for the comments and ideas. I certainly have some other dishes to try in the future when my wife is away.