Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question about smoking a ham

Options
TEXASBGE2018
TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
So I have a question about smoking a ham on the egg. My dad has 2 different hams. Both are frozen. One is a bone in "presliced" ham the other is unsliced bone in. Have any of you tried to smoke a pre-sliced bone in ham before? I'm 90% sure that I already know the answer but does it dry out pretty bad? He's wanting me to put one on the egg this weekend to give it an extra dose of smoke and I told him the unsliced would be better. Any thoughts?

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

Comments

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Toss it on. It'll be fine. Put a water pan under it. I do that when I make ham and bean soup, It's fantastic. You're basically just reheating with smoke. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    I was wanting to cook it at the same time as some beef short ribs. Would cooking it at 250-275 along with the beef short ribs be fine?

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• EggbertGreenII
    Options
    I've done a few spiral-cut hams with a bourbon/brown sugar/maple glaze, turned out great.
    Tampa Bay, Florida
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    I was wanting to cook it at the same time as some beef short ribs. Would cooking it at 250-275 along with the beef short ribs be fine?
    Hmm....good question. I wouldn't be worried about the temp, I would be more concerned that the ham may pick up some beef flavor. I tossed some app (can't remember what) with beef ribs once and the fat rendering off flamed up a little and it left a very strong impression. I just remember thinking "well I'll never cook anything with beef ribs again." 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• StillH2OEgger
    Options
    I've only done one ham on the BGE, but it turned out really good and I can't wait to do another. Having said that, I was unprepared for just how much moisture came out. Make sure you have a larger pan than you think you'll need for the liquid.
    Stillwater, MN
  • acothran
    Options
    I’ve done one spiral sliced ham before and it turned out great def use a water pan and watch the temp. There’s a great recipe on lanes bbq website it’s what I used and has how to directions. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Look for Egret’s ham or @Mickey ‘s ham.

Egrets recipe has bourbon, brown sugar, etc as a glaze, and Mickey’s method has nothing but wood for smoke. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    Ham and baby back ribs. Hams off and resting now with a maple glaze. Thanks all for the help.

• TEXASBGE2018
    Options

• StillH2OEgger
    Options
    Quite a 1-2 punch there. Both look great!
    Stillwater, MN
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Yours turned out great. Would have posted but driving to Durango today. 
    NAKED HAM / SMOKE ONLY

Let me start that for the first 6 years i have only cooked Egerts Ham (this is an outstanding ham Egged on the BGE). 

Several years ago went looking for (did not know this at the time) a naked ham / smoke only.  Looking at other ways to do a ham w/o the burbon, maple syrup, brown sugar, NO ANYTHING. Guys this was outstanding ham. It tasted like ham. It was a 7 lb Cooks ham (shank) and NOTHING was put on it (Nothing). Just smoke: lots of Sugar Maple wood. Cooked at 300 till 135. I did score the ham deep. Cooked indirect.
    New item: just did spiral ham and turned out fine. 
    I never add water to the Egg. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.