Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

CBD?

Options
stv8r
stv8r Posts: 1,127
I know this may be controversial to some, but does anyone have experience with CBD oil/extracts etc?  I have psoriatic arthritis which I hear it helps, and also like the idea it helps with depression/anxiety.  I am not looking for a high, just the medical benefits.  THC doesn't agree with my heart lol.  Rhythm issues.  I was hoping for some of the health benefits without the "high" aspect.  I know this is a new market so looking for good and bad reviews.  For the good, where to buy...which method works best etc...

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    CBD shouldn't get you high, as the vast majority is derived from Hemp. Even Marijuana-derived cannabidiol has minimal THC. Most stuff I've seen that describes it as a panacea for all life's ills is anecdotal at best. Most research shows a pain/anxiety benefit but more is coming showing benefits for inflammation. I'm in Maryland, and it's popping up everywhere in shops that are holistic/alternative medicine places, such as chiropractors and acupuncture/massage places. I would look for Colorado-based research, since Marijuana is legal and a lot of private research is happening there.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    Even as a known right wing guy, I am in favor of medical use of marijuana and hemp products. That said I don't even play a doctor on tv but I wish you the best of luck with it.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Also, CBD is FDA approved for certain seizure disorders(Epidiolex). I have the feeling that this will be the sieve in the regulatory dam that makes CBD approved for many more conditions, meaning that it will become covered by insurance. Right now, it is quite expensive, though compared to the drugs used for psoriactic arthritis, it's going to seem like a bargain for you.
  • vb4677
    vb4677 Posts: 686
    Options
    Wife uses it everyday for her anxiety issues.

Kansas City: Too Much City for One State - Missouri side
    2 Large BGE's, Instant Pot, Anova Sous Vide, and a gas smoker...
    Barbeque, Homebrew and Blues...
  • stv8r
    Options
    vb4677 said:

@vb4677 According to Consumer Reports the effectiveness/purity varies wildly.  What brand does you wife prefer, and where is it purchased?

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Stores everywhere in CA, this is a large one near me..see if there is anything you need 

http://www.valleypure.net/

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    edited September 2018
    Options
    https://goo.gl/images/RmhoI4

Sorry can’t paste links and could not resist- 

Hope you find some relief- constant arthritis is difficult to manage. Best of luck!
    Greensboro, NC
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I understand it is improving the lives of canines. Point is it’s not just for humans. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    Options
    I suffer from psoriatic arthritis as well and use CBD oil for flare ups (I am also on Stelara shots 4x a year at $11k per pop before insurance!).  I don’t want to take ibuprofen often so the CBD works to target the flare up areas.  The brand I currently have is called EMU but what is available varies by location.  

I will say that it’s messy as any oil is so I usually wear a glove or sock while using it on my hands or feet, usually only one or two joints at a time these days.   
  • fletcherfam
    Options
    We have had CBD legal from marijuana sources for some time now in Washington. (CBD derived from hemp sources are legal in all 50 states). CBD is like any supplement, it varies in concentration, and quality depending on company. 

My daughter has ADHD and we tried CBD for her for a short time, it didn't really do anything, but we weren't consistent with it either. 

CBD can get you high and can contain THC, and can be very potent in a small quanitity , if it harvested from marijuana. Just becareful where you get it from. THere have been research on certain brands and some are what they say they are, and others are just a mixture of different oils that do nothing.

Charolette's Web CBD is what we tried for our daughter, and it is a reputable brand. I am no expert, but have done a small amount of research on it.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Stay with something full spectrum.  Try NuLeaf...it's good and won't get you high.

Trying using Promo Code: FreedomFaction for 15% off.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • vb4677
    vb4677 Posts: 686
    edited September 2018
    Options
    stv8r said:
    vb4677 said:

@vb4677 According to Consumer Reports the effectiveness/purity varies wildly.  What brand does you wife prefer, and where is it purchased?

CBD American Shaman Cloud Tincture.  She usually puts a couple of drops into her morning water bottle...and I think she sometimes does the vape thing, too.  And yeah I agree - just like any other medicine/substance (coffee, sugar, aspirin, etc...), your mileage may vary.

Do I see a difference?  Well, that's hard for me to say- but it seems to work for her, and that's what matters I suppose.
    Kansas City: Too Much City for One State - Missouri side
    2 Large BGE's, Instant Pot, Anova Sous Vide, and a gas smoker...
    Barbeque, Homebrew and Blues...
  • The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Options
    The only "gotcha" with CBD's is that they do contain trace amounts of THC.  If you are subject to drug screenings, it is not recommended that you attempt to use CBD's.

Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• stv8r
    Options
    Thanks all.  Some good suggestions here.  It's a pretty confusing market