Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT 40 year old kitchen gadgets still working.

Options
dopey
dopey Posts: 201
edited September 2018 in EggHead Forum
So, slightly off topic, but how many plastic bits have you bought only to chuck them a year or so later?  This was given to me when I got my first house in 2002 and has been used no less than twice a week.

I just called Mama to ask how long they had it for before giving it to us, and she said it was when they bought their first house!

Bought new in 1978, used well, and gifted down in 2002 and still working biweekly.  Thing is older than me.  I can't imagine a new salad spinner lasting 40+ years
What I do when I'm black out drunk is none of my business...

John Central CT

Comments

• dopey
    Options

John Central CT
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    I have a stand mixer from 1974. I will look at the brand when I get home, but I recall it was made in England. We use it frequently and it’s solid. When my 97 year old grandmother died in 2007, it found its way into our home as no one else wanted it. 
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    I have a toaster from the 1930s that still works but I use a more modern one.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    Options
    What brand is it, Dopey?  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    Honest...I'm not playing a game of one-upmanship, but this piece came out of my parent's broiler part of the gas stove/oven which they purchased on "time pay" in the 1930's! I don't know the metal, but it is not iron, not aluminum, but perhaps steel. It has never rusted. I was able to find out the use of it and obtained an instruction sheet from an antique forum a few years back. I still use it from time to time to bake a pizza in our oven. I have never tried using it in a BGE as I fear I might break it...but maybe it would not!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I have a 50+ year old Sunbeam Mixer that was my moms. She made killer scratch cakes in that thing for years. She taught my wife how to make my favorite...(scratch) caramel cake. To this day my wife will not let me purchase a Kitchen Aid. Truth is....in runs just fine. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • RRP
    Options
    I have a 50+ year old Sunbeam Mixer that was my moms. She made killer scratch cakes in that thing for years. She taught my wife how to make my favorite...(scratch) caramel cake. To this day my wife will not let me purchase a Kitchen Aid. Truth is....in runs just fine. 
    May I please have your Mother's caramel cake recipe?

• dopey
    Options
    Botch said:
    What brand is it, Dopey?  
    Made by Southbury Mfg. In South Britain CT

John Central CT
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I have a bottle opener. Been working well for 50 years.
    That's all I got.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    theres atleast 4 generations of blood on this

Image result for slicer fishlessman

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • RRP
    Options

I have exactly the same finger tip slicer! It is still my favorite though. It's fast to use and quick to clean up!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    RRP said:

I have exactly the same finger tip slicer! It is still my favorite though. It's fast to use and quick to clean up!
    i found a new one for the camp, the stainless blade doesnt hold a candle to the old blue steel one
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    Half my Cast Iron pans are around 100 years old. Some are older than that. Also, I don't use them but I have a couple old cast iron meat grinders from the 1920's.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,115
    Options
    We have SWMBO Grandmothers rolling pin that we still use when needed.  It has to be 80 years old if I had to guess.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    edited September 2018
    Options

Circa 1950 jar opener. Still works like a charm. Beats all of the pretenders. Grandmother’s. 
  • dopey
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Like Ron said, is there a shareable recipe for that cake?  One of those things I regret not asking my grandma for before she passed.
    @northGAcock

John Central CT
  • mEGG_My_Day
    Options

Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    Did those belong to your grandmother?
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    dopey said:
    Like Ron said, is there a shareable recipe for that cake?  One of those things I regret not asking my grandma for before she passed.
    @northGAcock
    Will do. Just saw this. @RRP  
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow