Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked my own bourbon

Options
Ffoil pan. 30 min. Mesquite. Easy. Delicious.    Who else does this.  Any suggestions?

Comments

• gasman79
    Options
    Ffoil pan. 30 min. Mesquite. Easy. Delicious.    Who else does this.  Any suggestions?
    Temp?
  • UNCHeels08
    Options
    Intrigued
    Raleigh, NC

LBGE
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    You can also you a Smoke Gun and smoke about a 1/2 bottle at a time.  Let it mellow for about a week.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Daddyshack
    Options
    225 for 30 min.  Then left at room temp for 15 min. Then fridge for 30.  Not sure how temp changes would affect taste.  It was nice and not too smoky.  We compared to non smoked.  Very noticeable. We used Bulleit Bourbon. 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I like it. My bourbon has been smoking me for years now. 

I rember a post about smoking ice, but that doesn’t do nothing for the neat drinkers. 

Cool
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    edited September 2018
    Options
    The boiling point of alcohol is 173F (yes, I had to look it up), and it would need to be cooled to keep from losing a lot up the vent.

When we did Smokey Mikes at Salado, we put a smaller bowl of booze (we smoked boubon and rye separately), into a bigger bowl of ice, and smoked it very low (as you did) which worked well.

Aluminum pans (nested, w ice in the bottom) would likely be even better withe the increased surface area.  Also, using an Amazin Smoker might be an additional improvement, keeping the temp down. 

EDIT - here’s the recipe for Smokey Mikes.  If you like smoked booze, these are reaaaaaly good.  I am not taking credit for the recipe, though.  Mike, the bartender at Beavers in Houston, cooked this one up, and shared his recipe (though he calls it something else)

https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1178293/recipe-the-smokey-mike-cocktail
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • unoriginalusername
    Options
    I have cold smoked using my pellet tube, great results 
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    Try it with tequila sometime. Makes a killer margarita. 
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    20stone said:
    The boiling point of alcohol is 173F (yes, I had to look it up), and it would need to be cooled to keep from losing a lot up the vent.

When we did Smokey Mikes at Salado, we put a smaller bowl of booze (we smoked boubon and rye separately), into a bigger bowl of ice, and smoked it very low (as you did) which worked well.

Aluminum pans (nested, w ice in the bottom) would likely be even better withe the increased surface area.  Also, using an Amazin Smoker might be an additional improvement, keeping the temp down. 

EDIT - here’s the recipe for Smokey Mikes.  If you like smoked booze, these are reaaaaaly good.  I am not taking credit for the recipe, though.  Mike, the bartender at Beavers in Houston, cooked this one up, and shared his recipe (though he calls it something else)

That would be pure alcohol boil temperature, blended with water the boiling temperature would be higher but less the 212... don’t ask me how I know that. B)
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    20stone said:

That would be pure alcohol boil temperature, blended with water the boiling temperature would be higher but less the 212... don’t ask me how I know that. B)
    You sound like someone in corn country. As you may be aware, I am a big fan of learning to be self sufficient in preserving food, and that includes grains (though I haven’t been down that road yet myself)
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX