Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

SGH How many do you have or tried?

I mean a man of your stature and dignity must has several of these devices. 

https://youtu.be/YxSqQ8_YsCc

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    jrb06 said:

https://youtu.be/YxSqQ8_YsCc

I can’t get the video to play. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,324
    Cool! I like how they range from the very simple to the almost Rube Goldberg type.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    What is it?
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• SGH
    jrb06 said:

I finally got the video to play. That was awesome. 
    Im going to be completely honest here, I had no idea that equipment existed for honing and lapping DE blades. That’s a first for me. In fact, I never even heard of anyone attempting to sharpen them. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    What is it?
    Sharpeners and lappers for DE blades. 

Status- Standing by.

• GrateEggspectations
    GrateEggspectations Posts: 9,184
    edited September 2018
    Very cool instruments, but at $0.10 or so a blade, I’m not sure I’d go to the trouble of sharpening. 

Given how thin blades are, I’d be worried that sharpening would remove a lot of metal and reduce width of the blade, impacting how they sit within the razor. 

I assume sharpening on water stones would also work. 

Given this is a shaving thread, I’ll take a moment to mention that I transitioned from cartridge razors to a Rockwell 6S double-edged safety razor a few weeks back (including for head shaving) and couldn’t be happier. That is one incredible adjustable safety razor!!! @SGH has to give it a go!
  • SGH
    Very cool instruments, but at $0.10 or so a blade, I’m not sure I’d go to the trouble of sharpening. 

Given how thin blades are, I’d be worried that sharpening would remove a lot of metal and reduce width of the blade, impacting how they sit within the razor. 

Given this is a shaving thread, I’ll take a moment to mention that I transitioned from cartridge razors to a Rockwell 6S double-edged safety razor a few weeks back (including for head shaving) and couldn’t be happier. That is one incredible adjustable safety razor!!! @SGH has to give it a go!
    I understand your point on the price of blades. They are dirt cheap. However I find it very cool that someone went to the trouble to learn to sharpen DE blades. You can bet it’s quite tedious and meticulous to say the least. 
    Glad to hear that you are enjoying the 6S. Shave early and often my friend.  

Status- Standing by.

• SGH said:

I understand your point on the price of blades. They are dirt cheap. However I find it very cool that someone went to the trouble to learn to sharpen DE blades. You can bet it’s quite tedious and meticulous to say the least. 
    Glad to hear that you are enjoying the 6S. Shave early and often my friend.  

Definitely cool tools. 

Dont you worry - I shave VERY often. Head and face daily!!

And again, try the 6S! Made in USA. All stainless steel. Adjustable. Few moving parts. Beautifully made. A very, very nice piece. 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,324

These days we (somewhat foolishly) treat a lot of things as single use or quickly disposable.

Back in the day tho, when most of those sharpeners were on the market, blades were probably not as inexpensive as they are today and thus not as quickly just throen in the bin.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    I always thought you used them until you couldn't get a super clean shave then placed them inside an apple which you handed out to the neighborhood kids at Halloween.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    About 20 years ago, my Pops got in his head that throwing away envelopes,  that he received mail in, was wasteful.

So, for a few years, he spent some time every morning salvaging envelopes. Turning them inside out, re-gluing them, etc. , and then re-using them to fulfill their postal destiny... again.

I never understood the time investment involved in that endeavor. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • SGH
    edited September 2018
    And again, try the 6S! Made in USA. All stainless steel. Adjustable. Few moving parts. Beautifully made. A very, very nice piece. 
    The 6S is a great razor. I have it in my rotation. However, as with most things, we all have our preferences and personal favorites. For me it’s the Muhle R41. I have used it so much and developed such a feel for it that I can shave blindfolded with it. I know that the R41 is not for everyone. That’s why I almost never recommend it when someone inquires about a DE. But now that I have mastered the Muhle, there is simply no turning back for me. I’m a Muhle man for life my friend. 

Status- Standing by.

• SGH said:
    The 6S is a great razor. I have it in my rotation. However, as with most things, we all have our preferences and personal favorites. For me it’s the Muhle R41. I have used it so much and developed such a feel for it that I can shave blindfolded with it. I know that the R41 is not for everyone. That’s why I almost never recommend it when someone inquires about a DE. But now that I have mastered the Muhle, there is simply no turning back for me. I’m a Muhle man for life my friend. 

I’d be lying if I said the R41 hadn’t peaked my interest. “The Beast” gets good reviews. It’s just that I couldn’t imagine a more aggressive style razor being as gentle on the scalp. 

I had understood from some earlier comments that you hadn’t had the opportunity to try out the 6S. I guess curiosity got the best of you and you put in an order since. 

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110

Just ordered the 6S. They claim it's in stock but we will see.
    What blades would you recommend?
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • NorthPilot06
    NorthPilot06 Posts: 1,179
    My recommendation is to buy a variety pack off Amazon. What works for one person may not be suitable for another - personally I use feather blades exclusively (regarded to be the sharpest), but I used the sampler pack first. 
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...