Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Who the hell wakes up at 3AM to start a fire and cook?!?!

Options
Evidently me... End of the season pool party. 85 and sunny today and tomorrow in Minneapolis 

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    Looks great! Perfect pool weather. Not so much fun when working on the house. I'm jealous!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Not me. Perhaps I should give it some thought. Nice job!
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Looking good. I just start the fire the night before and catch some zzzzs. The lump burn for a few extra hours at 225 is negligible. 
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Looking good. I just start the fire the night before and catch some zzzzs. The lump burn for a few extra hours at 225 is negligible. 
    This.  It’s usually midnight or later Evan I go to bed anyway.  Light the fire, set the vents, hit the sack. Wake. Throw in meat, back to bed. Easy peasy 
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    Looks amazing. 
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Nice. But turbo lets me sleep. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• RiverBBQ
    Options
    Turbo last time, not impressed. I’ll go back to light at 900P meat on at 1000P,  bed at 1100P See you in AM.... no way I’m getting up at 300 anymore.  
    You can’t get to Loganville, Ga from anywhere. You have to start somewhere else
  • northGAcock
    Options
    Not me. Perhaps I should give it some thought. Nice job!
    Actually I do hit the bathroom about that time....but no.

• Scantron
    Options
    I want to see some pics of you cutting into that!
    Cooking on a Large Big Green Egg in North Chicagoland.
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    The one I did a week back I got up at 5:00 and that was too early. Retired people shouldn't have to get up that early.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    The one I did a week back I got up at 5:00 and that was too early. Retired people shouldn't have to get up that early.
    You must not fish or hunt. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    Having read all the comments here I want to add another possibility or at least a variation on a couple posts.

Instead of the OP saying he got UP at 3:00AM I STAYED UP. I had promised to deliver two butts for a wedding reception. Since I am a fan of turbos I knew all I had to do was the math. I mean going backwards from promised delivery time, minus pulling time, mileage to the wedding site etc. The math backed me up to nighttime.

About midnight I got the butts rubbed. About 2AM I started the egg and since I was using my BBQ Guru I knew I could count on it! At 3:00AM I put the butts on, said good night to the egg and butts and went to bed.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • northGAcock
    Options
    RRP said:
    Having read all the comments here I want to add another possibility or at least a variation on a couple posts.

Instead of the OP saying he got UP at 3:00AM I STAYED UP. I had promised to deliver two butts for a wedding reception. Since I am a fan of turbos I knew all I had to do was the math. I mean going backwards from promised delivery time, minus pulling time, mileage to the wedding site etc. The math backed me up to nighttime.

About midnight I got the butts rubbed. About 2AM I started the egg and since I was using my BBQ Guru I knew I could count on it! At 3:00AM I put the butts on, said good night to the egg and butts and went to bed.

Hummm....

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options

Hummm....
    I failed to mention my clean up crew...

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Nice cook.

My way - protein on when I go to bed.  Next day meat is done when its done.  Then it goes ftc until dinner.

Phoenix 
  • unoriginalusername
    Options
    Just putting my shoulder on now, but I find it easier to stay up than to wake up 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Another in the light the BGE around 8-9 PM, let it get stable for a few hours  and then load the protein whenever the window dictates crowd.  FWIW-
    (Edit:  if you look at the time stamp it's because I'm currently in the UK.)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • fmacken
    Options
    Sorry about no pics of the slicing. Worst part of my game, people were hungry (including me) and it never really occurred to me to stop. Brisket was pretty awesome. It was the 2nd Prime from Costco and both we terrific. I did go back to sleep but those nights never feel the same as sleeping all the way through. Funny thing is that both of these only took 8 1/2 to 9 hours at 225. I was expecting a longer cook time but they were both pulled between 205-209 and were both really really juicy. Next time I think I’ll just get started when I wake up