Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wings - where and what to purchase

Options
2»

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,761
    Options
    hard to mess up buffalo wings, start there.   strangest thing, google has no response to...i never ate chicken wings before =)  the wings are next to the chickens in the fresh chicken display
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    As mentioned, find some fresh wings. You won’t like the frozen ones. I rarely eat wings out because they are small and nasty. I never bothered egging them. Once I found some higher quality wings at the butcher, I became a fan of wings. 
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Its from a Portland restaurant group called Pok Pok, Thai recipes. You can find the recipe online. I've eaten there a couple of times. The places have become rather famous, and they have to make immense amounts of food. The quality varied. I tried making them myself, fairly difficult, and hard to find all the ingredients, but the results were quite good. Maybe hard to justify for what is basically bar snacks, but really tastee.

SaltySam said:

Kristi (Necessary Indulgences) shared her version of these wings from a restaurant in Seattle (I think) called Pik Pok.   They are KILLER.  

Word of warning, it involves cilantro and fish sauce.  Preparation is a little stinky, but these things are crazy good.  

The fishy smell doesn't transfer to the cooked wings, just a very savory boost.
  • ElkhornHusker
    Options
    Photo Egg said: c.e
    thetrim said:
    I recommend wings from the chicken.  
    I guess I am over thinking 
    With Chicken Wings being so popular almost everywhere, and it's never been a big enough deal to even try them somewhere to know that you like them, I would not waste time trying to cook them.
    Just spend a couple bucks and try them the next couple times you are eating out. Even our local grocery store makes pretty good wings.
    Much harder trying cook something going in blind on what you like.
    I have no doubt I would like them.  I always stuck to drumsticks and thighs.  My thought was more it's a lot of work for little reward.  Anyway if I never tried anything I wouldn't bought the egg in the first place
    Elkhorn, NE
    1 large egg
    28" Blackstone
    Akorn Jr. 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    Photo Egg said: c.e
    thetrim said:
    I recommend wings from the chicken.  
    I guess I am over thinking 
    With Chicken Wings being so popular almost everywhere, and it's never been a big enough deal to even try them somewhere to know that you like them, I would not waste time trying to cook them.
    Just spend a couple bucks and try them the next couple times you are eating out. Even our local grocery store makes pretty good wings.
    Much harder trying cook something going in blind on what you like.
    I have no doubt I would like them.  I always stuck to drumsticks and thighs.  My thought was more it's a lot of work for little reward.  Anyway if I never tried anything I wouldn't bought the egg in the first place
    Lot of work? Not at all. I don't think doing wings is any more difficult than grilling burgers.

Little reward? I guess if you are just eating one wing that might be so. Of course, nobody over the age of 4 eats just one wing. A plate full of wings is one of my favorite things.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    The biggest game changer with wings for me has been coating them with cornstarch and air drying them in the fridge for 24 hours before grilling them. The skin shrinks and almost acts if they were deep fried. Worth the effort in my opinion. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    Find a source for FRESH JUMBO WINGS. Then, you can eggsperiment with rubs, sauces, etc. Cook at 350-375 raised direct. 15-18 minutes a side to 180 degrees.
    @THEBuckeye what is your columbus source for FRESH JUMBO WINGS ??

I can walk to the UA whole foods, so have always done their chicken wings but they are tiny . . . very interested to find some good Jumbos - letta brother know!
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Options
    The chicken wing is one the greatest and simple pleasures on Earth.  However, it is the one food I just can't get right on my Egg.  I have done MUCH better with a cast iron dutch oven filled with peanut oil.  I'm always a fan of fresh and not frozen, but frozen wings cooked inside of an instant pot for a few minutes prior to frying is almost as good as fresh.  Sometimes I get the frozen because it's the only way I can get all flats.  The stores around me don't sell fresh flats by themselves.

Cook them in peanut oil at 350 for 12-15 minutes.  Hit them hard with a good and HOT wing sauce.  Have plenty of cold beer standing by. 

Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Reminds me of my first visit to Carabba’s.  The waitress walked up and asked if I had been there before.  When I told her “No”, she had such a look if amazement a d questioned whether I was joking with her. 

=======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    Hub said:
    The chicken wing is one the greatest and simple pleasures on Earth.  However, it is the one food I just can't get right on my Egg.  I have done MUCH better with a cast iron dutch oven filled with peanut oil.  I'm always a fan of fresh and not frozen, but frozen wings cooked inside of an instant pot for a few minutes prior to frying is almost as good as fresh.  Sometimes I get the frozen because it's the only way I can get all flats.  The stores around me don't sell fresh flats by themselves.

Cook them in peanut oil at 350 for 12-15 minutes.  Hit them hard with a good and HOT wing sauce.  Have plenty of cold beer standing by. 

Fried wing is KING . . but smoked is purdy damn tasty.  If you eat wings as a full meal like I do, stuff my gut like I do . .  always feel better with a full gut of grilled.

FYI google machine told me this . . 

FRIED:  about 81 calories from a small chicken wing with the skin that's been fried with no batter.
    GRILLED / SMOKED:  about 65 calories per wing, much less percent saturated fat & cholesterole 
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Hub
    Options
    NDG said:

Fried wing is KING . . but smoked is purdy damn tasty.  If you eat wings as a full meal like I do, stuff my gut like I do . .  always feel better with a full gut of grilled.

FYI google machine told me this . . 

FRIED:  about 81 calories from a small chicken wing with the skin that's been fried with no batter.
    GRILLED / SMOKED:  about 65 calories per wing, much less percent saturated fat & cholesterole 
    I don't disagree with that, but calories and fat don't bother me none as long as I keep my carbs to a reasonable level.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I think I have cooked more wings than anything else on my egg over the years. As someone mentioned there are endless variations. The most common way I cook them is: 
    1) Buy a pack of wings like this:Image result for chicken wings publix
    2) Remove from package and put them on a big sheet pan. Pat dry with paper towels. Season with whatever you have on hand. Sometimes I use a basic BBQ rub. 
    Note: As mentioned if you can do this step in advance then put them in the fridge uncovered. It will help get crispy skin. However, I have gone straight from seasoning them to the egg many times and they turned out just fine. 

3) Cook on the egg indirect at about 400 degrees until they reach about 180 degrees internal temp and the skin looks crispy. It will take about 45 minutes to an hour. 

Serve with BBQ sauce and/or wing sauce on the side for dipping. 

In summary: 1) Buy wings, 2) season wings, 3) cook indirect until 180 degrees internal temp. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Hub said:

@Hub - WOW! Your wings make mine look like crap. The sauce has a fantastic color and texture. Would you mind sharing your recipe with us?
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    edited September 2018
    Options
    I've always bought my wings at SAMS, but now we are COSTCO members also I'll be checking there. BTW I just went freezer mining and found a package of 10 drums and 10 flats which I will start for a 50 hour swim for Georgia Red Wings on Sunday. BTW I always split the package in half and then cut the skin between the drum and flat and then separate them with a chef knife. Also I just pitch the tips.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Hub
    Options
    1voyager said:

@Hub - WOW! Your wings make mine look like crap. The sauce has a fantastic color and texture. Would you mind sharing your recipe with us?
    This photo is not mine, but my wings do look pretty much identical.  I purchase my wings already cut into flats and drums.  I pat them dry and season them with salt and pepper.  I fill my Lodge cast iron dutch oven with peanut oil, about 2/3rds full.  When the oil reaches 350 I drop in the wings.  Depending on the size of the wings, I cook them 12-15 minutes.  While the wings are cooking, I put my sauce (usually Franks wings sauce hot) in a sauce pan and simmer.  I pull my wings from the oil and drop onto a bed of paper towels.  A few seconds later I drop them into an oversized stainless steel bowl, pour the sauce on, and toss until all wings are thoroughly covered.  Then I put them in the same exact setup as pictured above, add some ranch and celery, grab the cold beer and get busy! I've found the sauce sticks to the wings better if you use the above pictured setup as opposed to putting the wings on a plate.
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Options
    My approach (FWIW)

I buy jumbo packs of whole wings and break them down at the joints with kitchen shears. The tips go in the trash. The flats and drummies go in a big bowl. (Note: Some folks use the tips for chicken stock. I salute them.)

I toss the flats and drummies in a little olive oil and my desired spice blend. A favorite is a 50/50 mix of Penzeys Northwoods and Penzeys Galena Street.

I cook them indirect at about 400*. This may sound like heresy, but I have better luck with crispy skin on my Weber Kettle than on the egg. I tend to overcook them in the eyes of some folks. I like most of the fat rendered off and the meat so tender you have a clean bone when you're done eating.

Michiana, South of the border.
  • ElkhornHusker
    Options
    Wings bought from COSTCO, seasoned and in fridge for overnight.  Early game this week.  I will post pics on Saturday 
    Elkhorn, NE
    1 large egg
    28" Blackstone
    Akorn Jr.