Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT-Growing shrooms

Options
For food, not recreation!  I plan to start growing Shiitake and Oyster shrooms outdoors on logs in the spring. Prep starts this fall with tagging oak, poplar and sweet gum trees before their leaves fall off for harvest in the spring.  Anyone else into outdoor growing?  Lots of grow indoors kits available but I want to try it small and outdoors at first and see if it's worth scaling up. I've been studying this site https://www.ashevillefungi.com
Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 

Comments

• GATraveller
    Options
    I was all excited there for a minute!

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    Take a trip and never leave the backyard.
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,358
    Options
    I tried to grow morels once. Bought a kit, placed in near the apple trees and a poplar. Nothing, notta, zip, zilch
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,827
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    I tried to grow morels once. Bought a kit, placed in near the apple trees and a poplar. Nothing, notta, zip, zilch
    did the same thing, even planted them near other morels.  then 3 years later they showed up but probably from the originals
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Jupiter Jim
    Options
    We have a guy at our Farmers Market that grows them using Oak logs outdoors. I have bought some logs from him and I got some for two years but I killed them mistakenly soaking them in our tap water that I thought had no chlorine in it. They need to soaked in water to get them started. It was fun but I just buy them now.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer