Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Table restoration and new deck

Options
New deck on rear of house is almost complete.  I couldn’t put my ugly 7 year old table on that new deck so the Table Restoration has begun.  All structural screws are being replaced with lifetime warranty screws, have found that several screws are broken.  The table had gotten wobbly.  Sprayed with a stripping agent and going to power wash mildew and dirt off , then gonna stain color of deck .  More to come . 

1 Large Egg, Blackstone griddle

Belgium...........The Netherlands??

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Building a fire on a flammable deck attached to a flammable house is just stupid. No offense.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Scantron
    Options
    If it's so stupid, then it's puzzling as to why so many wood BGE tables have NOT caught on fire. I don't have a wood deck but I wouldn't hesitate to egg on one if I did. 
    Cooking on a Large Big Green Egg in North Chicagoland.
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Building a fire on a flammable deck attached to a flammable house is just stupid. No offense.
    Been doing it for years .  Can’t afford some fancy ass stone outside cooking area.  I guess me and thousands of other Americans are just idiots for grilling on our decks . 
    Yea I guess you are. Ain't you the lucky ones? So far.

Suit yourself.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    Folks on here have had bad luck with wood tables and eggs. A few I think have even had their houses catch fire. Hence the hostility. It’s understandable that some would be cautious. Good luck with your build. Looks like it’s gonna be a nice size deck.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    That’s why I moved my XL from the nest to the Challenger Cart. 
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    No hostility intended. I just think it's asking for trouble to build a fire on a flammable surface. Heard of too many guys who lost their houses.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• unoriginalusername
    Options
    No hostility intended. I just think it's asking for trouble to build a fire on a flammable surface. Heard of too many guys who lost their houses.
    Anyone use a product like FX LumberGuard XT on their deck with an egg on it?
  • lentsboy007
    Options
    My deck is composite , not lumber , don’t know if that makes a difference .  But since I’m stupid I won’t bother with pics when it is done .  

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,192
    Options
    Anyone use a product like FX LumberGuard XT on their deck with an egg on it?
    I’ve got ipe. It’s not burning anytime soon. 
  • SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    My deck is composite , not lumber , don’t know if that makes a difference .  But since I’m stupid I won’t bother with pics when it is done .  
    Post your pics brother.  Lot's of opinions on a BBQ forum.  @Carolina Q is one, and one to hear.  Your composite will melt before catching fire.  Don't take anything here personally like airport opinions.  Post your build and more importantly, your cooks.  Looks like a great view off your soon to be deck.
    Agreed. I know plenty of people who have been killed in car accidents and I still drive nearly every day.  
    True, but you don't have to drive a Ford Pinto with Firestone 500 tires.
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Agree @johnnyp.   I understand the comment and logic @Carolina Q , but your wording comes across like you're more trying to be a jerk than actually give advice.   Much better ways to phrase that and get your point across.   Just my 2 cents.

Keep posting pics of the deck build @lentsboy007
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • Kent8621
    Options
    just swap the paver out for a table nest and your table will get much safer.  with anything their is risk but a simple air gap greatly reduces that problem.

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• dweebs0r
    Options
    Nice job on the deck.  As the owner of an old, weathered and well used table I am looking forward to seeing the table restore.  Keep posting pics of your progress.
       -Jody Newell (LBGE & a 36" Blackstone griddle).
  • BobDanger
    Options
    Your deck is looking awesome. Take a look at my thread “started table build”. You have pretty mush the same set up. I built my out of scrap lumber I had and got some new stuff as well.

with what you have you can make that one look great again...lots of sanding + wood filler...and paint.
    Eastern Shore Virginia 

Medium & Mini Max
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    GoooDawgs said:
    Agree @johnnyp.   I understand the comment and logic @Carolina Q , but your wording comes across like you're more trying to be a jerk than actually give advice.   Much better ways to phrase that and get your point across.   Just my 2 cents.

Wasn't trying to be a jerk. I have just heard too many tales of houses being lost due to fire. Ask @Spaightlabs for example. Hell, @Nature Boy (Dizzy Pig) lost his from a cook done on his driveway!!!

Do what you want. If your house survives, great.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Powak
    Powak Posts: 1,391
    Options
    GoooDawgs said:

Wasn't trying to be a jerk. I have just heard too many tales of houses being lost due to fire. Ask @Spaightlabs for example. Hell, @Nature Boy (Dizzy Pig) lost his from a cook done on his driveway!!!

Are most fires caused by sparks or by eggs crumbling?
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Powak said:
    GoooDawgs said:

I don't know. Does it matter?

https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1166805/pyrophoric-charring-alternate-title-why-did-my-house-burn-down/p1

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Powak said:
    GoooDawgs said:

Sparks and table fires seem most reported.  An ember out the top of your egg (or any grill) could easily travel 50+ feet and light something.  Fortunately for us it's a rare event.  And know where your fire extinguishers are.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    Powak said:
    GoooDawgs said:

If it is because of the egg breaking, the stainless steel tables that fully encapsulate the egg would probably keep a fire from happening. It seems that most fires are caused by sparks.
    One meal sometime back I was thinking, I am eating a steak that was cooked on a charcoal pit that is sitting on a wooden deck that is connected to a house that had to be rebuilt because it had burned down. If they can live with that, bless their hearts.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I’m commenting to make this number go away. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• unoriginalusername
    Options
    SGH said:
    I’m commenting to make this number go away. 

Hahahaha 
  • lentsboy007
    lentsboy007 Posts: 416
    edited September 2018
    Options
    johnnyp said:
    This thread is weirdly hostile. 
    Yep. 3 crappy comments from Carolina Q.  He coulda voiced his “concern” much differently . You have to wonder about the home life of a guy who gets on the BGE forum to be an a$$hole to people . 

• TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    johnnyp said:
    This thread is weirdly hostile. 
    Yep. 3 crappy comments from Carolina Q.  He coulda voiced his “concern” much differently . You have to wonder about the home life of a guy who gets on the BGE forum to be an a$$hole to people . 

Let that roll off your shoulders. We wanna see the completed outdoor space. Thousands of people have wooden decks with grills and don't burn their houses down. As long as you are careful you will be fine. Sure shite happens but that's what fire extinguishers or water hoses are for.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited September 2018
    Options
    My egg is on my covered back porch. Granted my porch is concrete but I could just as easily when doing a high heat sear have a spark fly out the top, catch my wife's hanging baskets that sit above my egg on fire and burn my house down, but that doesn't keep me from doing it. Some people are just very cautious.

• Kent8621
    Options

mine is in a wooden table on my back porch.  I did all the math about the egg in a wooden table and its very safe with an air gap under it with a table nest or something that is not a concrete paver.  just for fun I recently got one of the laser thermometers and checked my calculations and it was dead on the heat drop over the air gap.  like others have said maybe keep an extinguisher handy I probably should get one but who knows. 

cant wait to see the final product.

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!