Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Youngest age to use BGE?

Options
Good Morning & Go Dawgs on this fine Saturday!

I was wondering what y’all think is the right age for a youngin’ to fully man an Egg?

I recently found out I may be gone for an extended period of time, so we may move my family back closer to my wife’s family. I have an XL, which I love, but would prob go in storage. 

I have a 7 year old son, so thought about getting me—I mean him—a Minimax (or Jumbo Joe) so he could learn to grill for the family. Would most likely just grill, no BBQ—burgers, chicken, chops, etc. 

Thoughts?

thx
mike 
Located Middle GA

Current: XL w/ Woo & 17" Half Moon Plates, SMOBOT

RIP: Weber 22" Kettle, Slow 'n Sear, Akorn Jr., Pit Barrel Cooker

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Go for it and c’mon man, it’s Austin Peay... 
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    I don’t know about that but I like your style! Most kids I know are waited on by their parents while they instagram!
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• distanceman
    Options
    Go for it and c’mon man, it’s Austin Peay... 
    LOL! Touché...but I’m stoked about season finally starting. In true Dawgs fashion, I’m calling for a National Championship caliber year. Just like...every...freaking...season. We’re the worst. 
    Located Middle GA

• distanceman
    Options
    I don’t know about that but I like your style! Most kids I know are waited on by their parents while they instagram!
    Well, my wife loves food off the Egg. So it’s either sit out an entire year, or teach the oldest to cook! I may pull the trigger...YOLO. 

Just want to make sure he’s safe, as we know, the BGE can get crazy hot. 
    Located Middle GA

• RalphieBoy
    Options
    Several years ago at the Hiawassee Eggfest we saw a 8 year old cooking on the mini egg. She was making hotdogs and having the time of her life. Yes go for it. If your home and burn something on your egg blame it on your kid.
    Large, Small, Mini Max & Mini.
    Wishlist XXL, XL & Medium 
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    I'm sure a 7 year old can learn the necessary skill set for grilling burgers, dogs and steaks. Setup, care, clean up etc are probably learnable by a 7 year old.

But only you can judge the maturity level necessary. Is he careless with things or does he take proper care of thing? Forgetful? Does he follow instructions? Cautious? Forgetting to burp a hot egg could get him severely burnt or even burn the house down.

Maybe teach the wife and use your son as her backup.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    Options
    I learned how to grill at a young age because my dad over cooked things, not on an egg though.  If there’s doubt whether your kid will be able to handle all aspects of the egg (cleaning, filling with lump, etc) then maybe a year honing skills on a gasser or even electric grill could be an option.  
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Ask @ryantt. His daughter started egging at 8, I believe. He has posted several of her cooks. Search the forum for Norah Grace.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Kids in other countries are riding elephants and bootlegging electricity at 7! 

Grill on!

If they don’t learn basic life skills as a child  they’re a teen they won’t know which bathroom to go in as an adult. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Yeah go check out Norah Grace’s stuff. She kills it.  @ryantt did an awesome job coaching her through that. I talked to him about it the other day as far as when he fully cut her loose.  My daughter is 4 and I’m already walking her through the basics. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited September 2018
    Options
    I have a 7 year old and a 5 year old and both help me on the egg and even the blackstone all the time. I will also eventually in the next year or so get another egg. Probably a mini max or a medium and that will be the kids workhorse.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Learning to cook with an egg at that age is fine.  Running it unsupervised may be a disaster waiting to happen.  Teach him how to use it safely before you leave and make sure a family member will be around to watch out.  
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    ryantt said:
     @DoubleEgger wish I knew how to get started on YouTube.  She keeps asking about getting her own show!!!!she thinks she the next big thing. Lol.  
    @tarheelmatt can point you in the right direction. 
  • distanceman
    Options
    @ryantt thanks for the pics and info! I’ll fake a look, and prob start teaching him now. I still have some time. 
    Located Middle GA

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Well, my wife loves food off the Egg. So it’s either sit out an entire year, or teach the oldest to cook! I may pull the trigger...YOLO. 

Does your wife not have any interest in using a grill in your absence? 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options

At least in a supervisory capacity. A 7 year old can do this stuff, but may need some "guidance" if things start to go south. "Mommie, the house is on fire, what should I do?" Ya know?

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    Without your supervision? Unless your wife is well versed in using a Kamado I'd say 14+. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • distanceman
    Options

She prob has some interest, but will have a brand new baby and 2 boys (7 and 4) to tend to. I know my 7 year old has interest in learning, just not sure if it’s enough to take over grill duties. 
    Located Middle GA

• distanceman
    Options

At least in a supervisory capacity. A 7 year old can do this stuff, but may need some "guidance" if things start to go south. "Mommie, the house is on fire, what should I do?" Ya know?
    That is probably the right answer. Wife supervises and the boy learns to cook...I’ll see how it goes. 
    Located Middle GA

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    i let my 7 and 9 year old help cook on the small.  the small egg is perfect for a couple of reasons.  in its nest, it's short, so they can reach to open and shut the egg.  the top isn't too heavy - they won't drop the lid and smash it.  and i don't have to worry if they don't burp it - it just doesn't flare up the way the large will.  but i still start it and get it ready and all that.

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • FrostyEgg
    FrostyEgg Posts: 583
    edited September 2018
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    Without your supervision? Unless your wife is well versed in using a Kamado I'd say 14+. 
    This. "Helping" is one thing, but completely unsupervised is entirely different. No child that young has the maturity level or cognitive ability to deal with cooking equipment that can hit 1000+ degrees if things go south. That's a nasty hospital bill and home owners insurance claim waiting to happen, if not worse. I don't mean to be grim, but c'mon.
  • Powak
    Powak Posts: 1,391
    Options
    When my daughter was 4 and we went into our local BGE dealer she saw a mini and said “daddy that’s the perfect egg for me. Can you get one and show me how to cook on it someday?”
  • Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Eggdicted_Dawgfan Posts: 1,896
    edited September 2018
    Options
    My opinion is they are old enough when the prove to you, beyond any doubt, that they are old enough. And definitely not before. 
    Snellville, GA

• alaskanassasin
    Options
    Also make sure you have a fire extinguisher close and every one knows how to use it regardless of who’s using the grill. 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Whatever age you think, +2.

Phoenix