Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mini Max

Options
Love my XL so much that I'm now considering buying the Mini Max for camping. As much as I think I would love to have it, I'm hesitant due to its weight (80 lbs). Any thoughts?

Comments

• zman51
    zman51 Posts: 133
    Options
    comes with carrier so if two people, one on each side makes it very movable.
    Central Florida
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I use mine for camping, tailgating, and to take to parties/events. I am 60 years old.
    I do not mind the weight.
    There are many folks on here that suggest you use a smokey joe Weber or equivalent for this purpose.
    We tend to dine very well when we camp.
    Backpacking and remote locations are difficult, and for that I will use a modified two wheeler and several bungie chords to get it where I want. 
    It is a hassle when you go remote, but worth it.
    I also bring a lot of wine. I find that to be more of PITA than the mMx.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Have both the MiniMax and Mini. I take the Mini all the time to travel.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,025
    edited August 2018
    Options
    It depends. What do you cook when your camping? I could see if being beneficial for low and slows. I'd say it's a pain in the arse to lug around for your basic to high heat cooks. I brought my small BGE (which is like 5-7 pounds heavier than the MM) for tailgating 2-3 weeks in a row. By the third week I said not again. I went and bought a Weber Jumbo Joe. It's light, can be dumped with one hand, and I don't need to worry about any ceramic breaking during traveling with it. I haven't looked back since. I use my small egg at home all the time. My favorite egg to use. Just not with traveling with. Grab a MM if it's something that you will use a bunch at home. Worst that will happen is that it stays at home when you go camping. If you're strictly going to use it for camping and plan on doing a bunch of camping I'd look at something a little more portable and less of a headache. Just my two cents. 

Edit: If someone walks off with my $40 Weber Jumbo Joe when I'm away from the campsite I'm not heartbroken. $500+ grill goes missing would wreck my weekend. Yes you can run chains through it but who wants to do that.
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • EggMcMic
    EggMcMic Posts: 340
    Options
    I take my MMX camping for a week stretch every year. I dont have far to carry it and there are at least 3 of us so it works out well. Only issue is grill space. Wish the Large was more portable! But as said above, we eat well!
    EggMcMcc
    Central Illinois
    First L BGE July 2016, RecTec, Traeger, Weber, Campchef
    Second BGE, a MMX, February 2017
    Third BGE, another large, May, 2017
    Added another griddle (BassPro) December 2017
  • unoriginalusername
    Options
    I love my MM but it’s more stationary than something I would want to move all the time. For true portability i would lean to PK

https://www.pkgrills.com/
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    please describe camping. tent site and picnic table next to a parking spot, or remote mountaintop =)  i used to get a keg on a few mountain tops with ponds/lakes on top, keg, tents, canoe,fishing gear, leg of lamb etc. found i could cook on a rock cause no way would i get an egg up there =) i take my large to drive in camps though
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Powak
    Powak Posts: 1,391
    Options
    Can’t beat a jumbo joe for camping and tailgating. Cools down within a minute of dumping the coals too. I upgraded mine to stainless steel grate and forgot about wanting a MM.
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    I have the MiniMax but its never been on a trip. It is though my favorite egg to cook on so I use it more than I do the LBGE. 
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• YukonRon
    Options
    My Beautiful Wife calls it "Glamping" when she sits back with a BGE grilled chicken caesar salad, next to a nice campfire, sipping a white burgundy, while knowing in the morning there will be OJ, French pressed coffee, bge grilled egg, ham and cheese sammies on a buttered english muffin.
    We have done steaks, chops, chili, lasagna, pastas, pancakes, you name it.
    Happy wife, happy tent.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    BTW, REI has their clearance sale going on right now with 30% off some really nice stuff. Just got the notice a few minutes ago.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    Do it and you'll be very happy
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    And trips to the beach....
  • 714egghead
    714egghead Posts: 111
    Options
    man I need to get me one me mini max now
    XL BGE, Imperial Kamado, brinkman gasser, Taco Cart griddle 
    (Wishlist- BGE M-Max)

Santa Ana, Ca 
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Oh yeah, almost forgot...The egg is not complete without Rockwood. I take that with me too.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options

Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    Thanks @Jeremiah

I think the MiniMax is just about the perfect egg. Sure there are a few things it can't do but the larger eggs that can do those things are overkill for a lot of the things the MM excels at.
    MiniMax 04/17

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    I use mine for camping, tailgating, and to take to parties/events. I am 60 years old.
    There are many folks on here that suggest you use a smokey joe Weber or equivalent for this purpose.
    Backpacking and remote locations are difficult, and for that I will use a modified two wheeler and several bungie chords to get it where I want. 
    Yeah, but you don’t have to carry the wine back afterwards.  ;)
  • bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    Options
    I told the wife that I was thinking about a MM to take on our family vacations.  I was somewhat taken aback when she told me go get one tomorrow!   I did a full disclosure and told her the accessory equipment would be close to the price of the egg.  She just said we'll start slow.   Now I'm really starting to be concerned about a large purchase she may have made   :)   Things are just not this easy.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    @Jeremiah closing the deal!  Beautiful pics!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    Can’t believe you sold the teardrop.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Cmyachtie
    Cmyachtie Posts: 101
    Options
    Dmb3739 said:
    Love my XL so much that I'm now considering buying the Mini Max for camping. As much as I think I would love to have it, I'm hesitant due to its weight (80 lbs). Any thoughts?
    MM is great if you’re mostly cooking for 2, single handling can be challenging though.
    MMx, my not so large BGE
    Genesis E330 gasser 
    WiFi ANOVA SV
    Halifax, Canada
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Cmyachtie said:
    Dmb3739 said:
    MM is great if you’re mostly cooking for 2, single handling can be challenging though.
    Cook for four all the time.  Large rarely gets any action besides pizza, butt, brisket...
  • YukonRon
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Yeah, but you don’t have to carry the wine back afterwards.  ;)
    I do carry out the bottles though. A lot of bottles. They may be lighter, but more worrisome in breaking than the egg, for sure.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Cmyachtie said:
    Dmb3739 said:
    Cook for four all the time.  Large rarely gets any action besides pizza, butt, brisket...
    Absolutely agree, and is great for sides when making butts ribs and briskets...

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    Cmyachtie said:
    Dmb3739 said:
    Same here except I rarely do pizza. Doing some tenderloins on the MM this afternoon.

MiniMax 04/17

• damnedhooligan
    Options
    Powak said:
    Can’t beat a jumbo joe for camping and tailgating. Cools down within a minute of dumping the coals too. I upgraded mine to stainless steel grate and forgot about wanting a MM.
    What size of grate (17.5 or 18) did you get and where did you get it?

XL BGE with adj rig & woo2

• cookingdude555
    Options
    Powak said:
    What size of grate (17.5 or 18) did you get and where did you get it?
    I don’t have any from here but they have come highly recommended on other forums:

http://killagrilla.com/
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    bucky925 said:
    I told the wife that I was thinking about a MM to take on our family vacations.  I was somewhat taken aback when she told me go get one tomorrow!   I did a full disclosure and told her the accessory equipment would be close to the price of the egg.  She just said we'll start slow.   Now I'm really starting to be concerned about a large purchase she may have made   :)   Things are just not this easy.
    Anne encourages me to buy stuff because she thinks it gets her a free pass for another handbag / pair of shoes. I don't tell her most of what I buy, and certainly not what it costs, otherwise it would all be doubled up with her extra purchases.
  • bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    Options
    @Eoin Yep one of my biggest fears in life is when I'm no longer functional she will sell all my guns at the price I told her I paid for them  =)

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.