Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First pork chop

So been wanting to do one of these for a while but the girlfriend doesn't like pork unless it is ribs or pulled pork. Not a fan of pork chops or pork tenderloins at all.  She is doing a 3 day juice cleanse that she started yesterday.  She can have fun with that I like to eat good food so for 3 days I get to make all the meals that I want that she doesn't like. 

So yesterday I picked up a 2in thick tomahawk porkchop, sirloin filet, asparagus, and some potatoes.

The chop

Decided to do a stout brine so pulled out a good imperial coffee stout I had a bunch of.

All ready to go. Brine conisted of 12oz stout, 8oz water, 8 cloves of chopped garlic, brown sugar, black pepper, some mixed peppercorn, hot paprika, and salt. 

Also made some beef kabobs with some Stubb's beef marinade I had bought a while back and never gotten around to trying yet. 

After about 4hrs in the marinade

After 3hrs I couldn't wait any longer. Pulled it out, dried it off, and put some fresh ground black pepper on both sides.

On the egg she goes at 250 till she reaches 125 internal temp...

Chop had reached an internal temp of 125 and I opened up the egg till it got to a 600 degree dome temp. Time for a nice sear and quick cook of the beef kabobs and some asparagus.

Everything all finished

Let's Eat!

Very happy with how my first pork chop turned out. Overall was very tender. Ate all of it including cleaning the bones. The beef kabobs came out great too and could have been cooked even shorter even though I think they were only on for about 6 or 7min total. Still cause of the marinade they were very tender. Asparagus was the best I have ever made. Only 5min on the egg after the flip of the pork chop was the perfect amount of time to be softened a bit but still have a crunch.

Comments

• vb4677
    vb4677 Posts: 686
    Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice............
    Kansas City: Too Much City for One State - Missouri side
    2 Large BGE's, Instant Pot, Anova Sous Vide, and a gas smoker...
    Barbeque, Homebrew and Blues...
  • That's a good looking cook. I'm no fan of asparagus but mY wife likes it so I may have to try that.

Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Looks fantastic to me.  Since you get a few days to eat those meals she doesn't like there's no sense explaining to the girlfriend that cleanses don't work and are a waste of time and effort.  

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,749
    Nice looking cook!
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian