Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need some pizza help

love pizza in the egg.  I finally have my dough to my liking and have created a sauce I really enjoy.  My issue is the browning of the top of the pie.  The bottom of the pizza looks great; the top, while done, does not have the color I’m wanting (black leapording, etc).  I have my pizza stone as high on the dome as it will go without hitting the Egg thermometer probe.  Below are pics of my setup and pizza I cooked today.  I use 00 flour at 65% hydration.  Temp on Egg thermometer was 730F.  I have a remote laser thermometer and the pizza stone read 740F.  I shot the inside back of the egg lid where I thought the pizza would sit and it read 570F.  I let the egg come to temp and stabilize for 11/2 hrs.  Anyone have some suggestions? 
Roanoke, VA
Large BGE Owner

Comments

• Wpilon
    Wpilon Posts: 42
    Wipe the stone with a damp cloth just before you launch the pizza. That should cool it just enough to give the top a bit of a "head start".
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    The egg is not a wood fired oven so you're not going to get the same result. I've had a couple that came out pretty well, but mostly, just average looking pies. Similar setup to yours. 

690°, Lahey's no knead dough, 70% hydration, bread flour.

900°, Forno Bravo dough recipe, 65% hydration. 00 flour I think, but not sure.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• outrageous
    outrageous Posts: 803
    Suggestion, put pizza on a pizza pan, put tin foil balls under pan, put on stone, when top is done, drop pizza off the pan directly on the stone to brown bottom...

Large egg and mini max egg plus a Blackstone griddle

South Ga. cooking fool !!!!!!!!

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Try brushing a little butter or olive oil on your outside edges.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • poster
    poster Posts: 1,167
    I always have better luck going a little lower on the temp, usually about 550. Everything seems a little more manageable in the pizza making process at this temperature as well.
  • Miked125
    Miked125 Posts: 481
    I do the same as poster 550F is my go to point, cooks everything fairly evenly 
  • EggMcMic
    EggMcMic Posts: 340
    +1 on the temp. I cooked pizzas last night at 525-550F and I think top and bottom were spot on.
    EggMcMcc
    Central Illinois
    First L BGE July 2016, RecTec, Traeger, Weber, Campchef
    Second BGE, a MMX, February 2017
    Third BGE, another large, May, 2017
    Added another griddle (BassPro) December 2017
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    Does your dough recipe include sugar? Just a tablespoon or so helps develop the color that you are looking for. 

I go 550F also. Cook time is about 8 minutes depending on toppings.
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • RalphieBoy
    RalphieBoy Posts: 131
    We only use Cast Iron for Pizza. Weesie heats the cast up in the oven before the dough hit the cast. It finishes with a crispy crust.
    Large, Small, Mini Max & Mini.
    Wishlist XXL, XL & Medium 
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Your air gap between platesetter and pizza stone is too large. The heat rolls around PS and right into the bottom of your stone. If you want to cook at higher temps you need to make the gap smaller so hot, rising air, rolls around your indirect piece "and" your pizza stone into the dome. This will better balance out your stone temp and dome temp.
    Place a wok ring or fire brick on top your PS and then another pizza stone or pizza pan at least the size of your cooking stone. Shoot for about a 2" space between cooking stone and indirect stone.
    You are not that far off. When the top starts browning, at 700+ degrees, it does not take long to get what you are looking for.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • kersh13
    kersh13 Posts: 23
    Not claiming to be an expert, but I have found that if I cook around 600 degrees and brush the crust with olive oil, I get the perfect cook for both the crust and the cheese. 

I use the placesetter and use three bricks turned on their side and place my pizza stone on top. It puts my pizza stone approx 4-5" above the rim of my egg. 
    Large Egg circa '06 model.

Athens, GA

• 1WVU
    1WVU Posts: 160
    Thanks for the suggestions guys!
    Roanoke, VA
    Large BGE Owner
  • WVsmokin
    WVsmokin Posts: 30
    First try at a pizza. Got temp at 400 and stabilized there. Had stone on while preheating. Pulled pork, bbq sauce drizzle, with banana peppers. Was great. 
  • 1WVU
    1WVU Posts: 160
    @Photo Egg your suggestion seemed to work.  Added another deflector and result was much better.  This is a prosciutto and arugula with shredded Parmesan.  One of my favorites. Thanks for the advice!

Roanoke, VA
    Large BGE Owner
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    1WVU said:
    @Photo Egg your suggestion seemed to work.  Added another deflector and result was much better.  This is a prosciutto and arugula with shredded Parmesan.  One of my favorites. Thanks for the advice!

Looks excellent. Glad it's working for you.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas