Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Retirement - or - Everyday is Saturday Chuckie Day

Options
The_Stache
The_Stache Posts: 1,153
So about 11 this morning I decided to do a little low and slow chuck roast.

Greased it up with EVO, Garlic and my Scarborough Faire Rub (Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme) and a touch of salt.

On the egg with temps between 250 and 275....  Lump already has left over Cherry and Pecan from a baby back cook so just a little smoke

Veggies will follow in tray with catchings later...

The real challenge is... Start drinking now or wait till afternoon...?
Kirkland, TN
2 LBGE, 1 MM

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Just so you can reset your internal calendar then remember fat paper day is Sunday. =)
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,332
    Options
    @The_Stache BGE house rules, time of day independent:  light the BGE-time for an adult supervisory beverage; food on the BGE-time for an adult supervisory beverage; then as desired for the duration.  Works for me...
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • The_Stache
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @The_Stache BGE house rules, time of day independent:  light the BGE-time for an adult supervisory beverage; food on the BGE-time for an adult supervisory beverage; then as desired for the duration.  Works for me...
    That was kind of my thought but... my lowest ABV adult beverage is 12% (Imperial Stout)... of course there is that mighty fine selection of "Mike's Lemonade" in various colors/"flavors" that @Possumtrot left in my fridge... B)

Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• Possumtrot
    Possumtrot Posts: 245
    Options
    There's a reason I left it there.
    Near Music City in the Boro
    LBGE, Joe,Jr
    Free is better than cheap
    If it's worth telling, it's worth exaggerating

• The_Stache
    Options
    RRP said:
    Just so you can reset your internal calendar then remember fat paper day is Sunday. =)
    Ron, it's all digital... but Saturday 2 (aka Sunday) does NOT have a crytoquote in it... spoils my Saturday every time that happens!
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• lousubcap
    Options
    @The_Stache you are dealing with some serious leaded adult beverages right there.  With those you may pass straight thru LEO and hit escape velocity in record time. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,170
    Options
    If I were retired, I’d hate the weekends. Lake is crowded, golf course is crowded...
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    I think if you are gonna go by a moniker like 'the stache' you need to post a pic of said stache so it can be judged as to worthiness of 'the' status.

Also so SGH can advise the best implements for stache removal should you decide to go that route in the future.
  • The_Stache
    Options

The rst rest of the cook in the open DO with chuck drippings and homemade chicken broth
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    You know, it's funny, I've been retired for 7 years now (Oct 2011) and weekends still feel like weekends! And weekdays still don't. Though they are.

As for hours, last night, I dozed off at about 7PM right after I ate dinner. Woke up at 1:30A, said bad words when I realized I had left a dozen new recipe Italian meatballs in the skillet on the stove for at least 8 hours. At least I had 4 for dinner-they were great-threw the rest out at 2AM! Went back to sleep about 4A, woke up at 7.

That kind of stuff happens all the time. Not the meatball thing, but the weird hours. Wonder what tonight will bring.

Still... I haven't set an alarm in 7 years! =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• The_Stache
    Options
    I think if you are gonna go by a moniker like 'the stache' you need to post a pic of said stache so it can be judged as to worthiness of 'the' status.

Also so SGH can advise the best implements for stache removal should you decide to go that route in the future.

Full natural curl...  about the only hair left growing.  On the short side right now as the curl was poking me in the eye!
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• The_Stache
    Options
    Note to self.... START EARLIER!!!!
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Or....stay up later.  and drunker. ;)
    Options
    There seems to be a tremendous amount of drinking expertise coming from some of the greatest authorities this forum has to offer.
    I shall stay silent, take notes, and apply to my cooks, on a "as needed" basis.
    So far, I have:
    Drink Often
    Drink Early
    Don't let Possumtrot in the house carrying Mike's Lemonade.
    Weird hours are normal when retired and drinking.
    Stay up later and get drunker.

Got it.

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I had to work today (rather hard I might add)....so just getting a chance to read this. How do you face all these tough decisions? 

“She was once...a good friend of mine.”  Cheers!
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • lousubcap
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I actually volunteer 2 days a week (average about 6-7 hrs/day, week days only) in the local (only three in the country) Red Cross Service to the Armed Forces 24/7 call center.  I am the guy who delivers the bad news to the service member's command so that they can decide how to proceed regarding emergency leave or not etc.  Yup death or serious injury notifications are my deal.  If you hear from me someone is gonna have a bad day.  Keeps the rest of my life in perspective.  FWIW-
  • The_Stache
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    I actually volunteer 2 days a week (average about 6-7 hrs/day, week days only) in the local (only three in the country) Red Cross Service to the Armed Forces 24/7 call center.  I am the guy who delivers the bad news to the service member's command so that they can decide how to proceed regarding emergency leave or not etc.  Yup death or serious injury notifications are my deal.  If you hear from me someone is gonna have a bad day.  Keeps the rest of my life in perspective.  FWIW-
    Thank you for your work with the call center!
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Thank you Frank for your continuing service.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    @lousubcap
    Perspective is really what it is all about. Thank you for performing this task for our men and women in uniform. 
    News, such as you must deliver, is not easy to do, and even though you likely may never meet those that shoulder the sadness, you always feel for the burden they now must carry.
    There are great people in this world. Frank, my friend, it is hard to imagine anyone I know, to be better than you, or those like you, who lead by serving.
    That is what makes this country a wonderful place to live, for us all.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • littlerascal56
    Options
    I will be retiring on October 31st, after 41 years at the Electric Utility.  Seems like I spend every weekend cooking, so I am looking forward to more egg time during the week. I just finished my gravity feed smoker build last weekend, so am looking forward to a big cook tomorrow. The XL will be doing steaks tonight, but the big smoker gets filled with ribs and cheesy potatoes on Saturday.  I run a Flame Boss on both, so I don't have to babysit them.
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @littlerascal56 - congrats on the upcoming life-changing event.  Great looking rig you've got there.  Enjoy giving it the inaugural run.  
  • The_Stache
    Options
    @littlerascal56 it took me approximately 2 days, 23 hours, 56 minutes,and 12 seconds to get used to being retired!  Hope you’ll get used to it much quicker.
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• littlerascal56
    Options
    @littlerascal56 it took me approximately 2 days, 23 hours, 56 minutes,and 12 seconds to get used to being retired!  Hope you’ll get used to it much quicker.
    Rick-After being on call for 40 years, being able to sleep all night without a phone call from Dispatch will be my biggest adjustment. Not to mention no more crews, timesheets, contractors, emergencies, power outages, etc. 
    Now I just have to decide how much lump to put in the egg!
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    I retired earlier this year at 62. Now its "6 Saturdays and a Sunday". Wife is younger and can't retire yet but she only works 2.5 days a week, I love having her around and I'm really adapting to the retired life. Just ate a tomato sandwich for lunch and that is only the 3rd meal this week that wasn't BBQ. The other two were bacon and eggs for breakfast.

Meeting some buddies from my gun forum for BBQ on Tuesday. Seems I eat more now that I'm retired. Doing a cleanup on the Eggs tomorrow and maybe replace the band on the large.

Off to find some sugar free rubs and sauces.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• The_Stache
    Options
    Rick-After being on call for 40 years, being able to sleep all night without a phone call from Dispatch will be my biggest adjustment. Not to mention no more crews, timesheets, contractors, emergencies, power outages, etc. 
    Now I just have to decide how much lump to put in the egg!
    I hear ya!  I headed up a Global IT organization that essentially covered every time zone... There was no such thing as "after hours" support... just a matter of I had to be available 24/7.   Adjustment, however can be pretty quick!  Best of luck with your transition to retirement!!
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM